Please help - would you buy this?

JulesRules

Visit site
My OH is developing an app - it will be aimed at horse riders, cyclists, walkers etc. I was hoping that some of you guys as part of the target market would be kind enough to give a bit of feedback on what you think, would you buy it and what would you pay?

The idea is that if you go out for a hack - maybe on your own - you will set a time/date that you expect to be back safely. Just before that time the app will ask you if you are back safe- it will be a bit like an alarm where you can cancel if you are back, or snooze if you are okay but not back home yet. You will be able to snooze a few times as required.

If you do not cancel or snooze the app will then send a text alert to a pre set contact to advise them to check you are okay and it will use your phone's location to let them know your last known location.

The idea being that if anyone does have an accident or incident - someone will be alerted fairly quickly and come looking for you.

Hopefully I have explained all that okay and it makes some sort of sense?

As above what do people think? Would you buy this, and if so how much would you pay?

Choccy biccies all round :)

Crackerz

Visit site
It sounds all good in theory! One of the better idea's i've heard for sure.

But i don't ever pay for apps, so not your target audience :(

wes

Visit site
He needs to do some more investigation I'm sure there are a couple of apps like this already
I know some folk use them when going off on motorbike rides etc, but don't know of any app names

JulesRules

Visit site
He has done some research I know and hasn't found much along the same lines.

Crackerz - I said the same as I don't really pay for apps either. I said he is better to charge a smaller amount and more people will buy. Would you not even pay 50p?

Rhandir

Visit site
There is a very similar app already available which sends an alert if you stop moving for 20 minutes. Think it's called Horse Rider SOS. Quite handy if you are on the yard alone too.

ihatework

Visit site
It sounds great in theory but I doubt I'd use it for the following reasons
1. I'm unlikely to pay for an app
2. I'm unlikely to remember to set it before I go on a hack
3. My phone is normally wedged somewhere not easily accessed - would I hear the alarm if running late?
4. As above but I always wear gloves - a pain to snooze an app

I can see me setting off many an alert!!

That said I can see more safety concious people using it and also parents letting their kids out etc

Batgirl

Visit site
Horse SOS is slightly different as it goes on inactivity.
I don't pay for apps.
I use friends to tell when I am going to be back.
It already exists - Hiker Alert

Princess16

Visit site
Sounds good in theory but what if you weren't able to get to phone/didn't hear alarm when it goes off would it then cause alarm to your contact who if away/miles away would panic unnecessarily just because you didn't stop alarm?

Like most technical gadgets these only work if used correctly but good luck anyway.

gnubee

Visit site
I would probably pay £1 if it reviewed well. Even better if it could also have the inactivity alarm feature too- I regularly school alone and would love an if I don't move at all for 2 mins alarm and if no response check the cctv alert to go to my partner. Would mean I could be a lot more brave about what I'm doing.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
You can already get a free app from RoadID. Originally for cyclists and used in coordination with the wrist bands with all your details on. You set it up to show up on the phones of your NOK or OH and they can see your location at all times. As far as I can remember it does everything you are thinking about.

sarahw123

Visit site
Yes I would be interested in this and would be willing to pay.
There may be similar apps around, however not all are exactly the same, and many have different features. Depending upon features and user-friendliness, I'd be willing to pay up to £1.20 (as long as there were no 'extras' I had to buy)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Probably not because there are plenty of free apps or my iPhone's own location sharing ability could do something similar.

I was considering spending a couple of hundred on the rip cord thing which texts your ICE contact, if you get chucked off tho. That sounds like a really good system but I forget the name of it just now.

JulesRules

Visit site
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments

As mentioned above, many of the similar apps have different features and it seems that there are a decent percentage so far who would be interested.

The main difference with this and location sharing apps is that someone has to know to check your location and this will send an alert text.

Last edited:

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
I wouldn't buy it-I live in the middle of nowhere, never get a signal, so having an app that would text someone wouldn't work for me.

It sounds like a good idea in theory though.

HuntingfieldHoney

Visit site
Sounds good in theory. Would be useful I think for riding out alone and children/ teenagers.

It would have to be very user friendly for me to use it, and I think it would have to be a habit to get in to. Would pay for it tho if it was worth it.

As others have echoed how easy would it be with gloves on, and say it was a nice day and I decided to take a longer route, can I change the end time? I think it would be a real hassle to keep snoozing the alarm in that situation.

rowan666

Visit site
I think that would be great especially for kids/teenagers who go out hacking, I would happily pay a pound for it if reviews were good