Please help

lovecharles

Visit site
Hello, I'm a total newcomer to hunting. I have read the following link:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/best/article.php?aid=98752&cid=396

but still have a few questions.
What sort of riding competence must I be? I have seen pictures of horses popping wooden fences then leaping over giant hedges and ditches.
Also, where is the nearest hunt i could visit? (I live in Derbyshire, near Leictershire) How do i get involved? Will i be on my own? I don't have any horsey friends as i have a private field for my horses.

Sorry for the dumb questions!!! Thank you!

exracergirl

Visit site
Hiya! Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you? PM me if you would rather not reveal on the public forum! Off the top of my head your are menyll & south staffs area, but it is really personal preference as I am leics/derbys border (very near A42) and subscribe to the Quorn.
If you've not been before it'd probably be best to have a crack in the next couple of weeks whilst hunts are still 'autumn trail hunting' which is a great introduction for both horse and rider!
Or perhaps see if you could find out about a non jumping day, although you are always warned if jumps are coming up an 99% of the time there is an option like a gate or another way around.

Springs

Visit site
Hi, on level of riding I have been riding horses on a regular basis for 4 years and hunting for the past 3. I did have a bit of babtisum of fire, 1st hunt, 1st field, 1st fence fell off! found out later I could have gone through the gate! There is always a way around if you don't fancy the jump.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
IMO it's the best way to learn to stick!!! I have never been out on a day where they jump giant hedges as I just wouldn't want to do that! Find out who your local hunt is (the MFHA website is good) and phone the Secretary. Tell them what you've told us..that you are interested in going out, would be alone and don't want to jump big. See if you can find out which meets are likely to be on country that has big jumps. I've been out with a couple of packs and one had a Joint Master who didn't jump, full stop, so you knew if you went out on a day when she was Master, there wouldn't be any jumping.

I've been out on my own and I used to call the Sec to find out about parking etc, and say I was going to be on my own. I've always found people to be really friendly, but there's bound to be someone on here who will be going out with your chosen hunt so I would tag along ;)

BigBird146

Visit site
I would check with the secretaries. I have just started hunting and go out with the 4 shires bloodhounds www.4shires.co.uk who cover Derbyshire, Staffs, S Yorks and Notts (but mainly Derbyshire), so it depends how far you'r prepared to travel. There are quite a few meets between Ashbourne & Belper I think. We have a 2nd field master for non-jumpers so you don't have to be able to jump at all. I only jump smaller stuff so I flit between the 1st and 2nd field (and if in doubt stick with the 2nd!). So far, everybody has been very friendly and welcoming.
I think you can do 2 hound ex's as a visitor, then you must become a member, and the last 2 hound ex are coming up before hunting proper starts on 9th Nov.

ginnyspinner

Visit site
I hunt with Readyfield and they cover Nottinghamshire and north Leicestershire.
There is always a second field master for those who do not want to jump and most days are advertised as OJD (optional jumping day).
Most lines do not go over 3ft 6 (and I most certainly do not either!!)
I always go alone (no-one at my yard hunts) and find people to be really helpful and friendly.
There are quite a few children out and some novices, so riding ability is mixed.
Cap is only £35 for over 16's and £20 for under 16's, there is no subscription. You do not need to book, nor be a member - just show up and enjoy yourself. Oh, and start time is very civilised...12.30pm

LindaW

Visit site
I'd recommend Readyfield as long as you are happy and comfortable going reasonably fast and your horse has a decent level of fitness.

Lovely people, choose an OJD, Fred normally looks after the newbies, finds ways round the jumps, and encourages them to have a try at some small ones - a real confidence giver, often food after.

If you do decide to go out with them and you're going to be alone, pm me beforehand, and if we are going (we usually are) then you'll have some friendly faces to say hello to, and ride with if you like.

Mogsy - say hi if you see us - I'm short round woman usually on chestnut araby type (in my sig and distinctive) always out with a lady one a bright bay with small star and black legs. Come in a purple box.

ginnyspinner

Visit site
Will do, my mare is a big bay with white blaze and white stockings.

We got blue Ifor and silver Isuzu - I will be on my own with my horse bitch!! (other half) who is bald and very good natured!!!

C U there x x

LouBerry

Visit site
Another vote for the Readyfield being great fun and really helpful :) Fred's a lovely bloke who's fantastic at helping non-jumpers get their confidence. Shame Mike's retired, he was a thoroughly decent bloke too.
Mogsy and LindaW will shout a hello if i spot either of you (watch it be the wrong person!). I'm usually to be found on foot, scooping up loose horses, attending the fallen or something equally similar ;O) Only over the last two years i've managed to get out and about on four legs, although those were begged and borrowed ;O)
Got my own working donkey now so hopefully be out a bit on him. So look out for a loud female on a skinny bay tb :) Or look for the drunken bum wagon at the end of the day and you'll find our raucous lot!
p.s did either of you do caunton last week? Were colbeck out, was trying to find pictures but can't see any :(

LindaW

Visit site
Salad has a knee atm (pony bothering got him kicked in the field), and Molls isn't fit enough ( bay mare in my sig) so have missed out so far and probably the next couple, but always happy to have people along for the company if they are new or on their own.

It's great fun, and a really nice bunch of people.

LouBerry

Visit site
Think they've been on holiday as not seen them around this week and the pics are now up. Looks like you hunted it a bit differently to usual though judging by the pics.