PLEASE HELP!!

My equine life

Visit site
Ok so I’ve bought my 3 horses home from uni but to a differnet yard than normal as we moved 15 mins up the road and it was nearer to were I work. But it’s herd turnout and they really aren’t settling into the new herd. We’ve been there since Saturday. They are running on this rock hard ground due to no rain and I am now dealing with two swollen back legs and a kick to the cannon bone in one of my thoroughbreds (I saw this happen) and what I think it’s bruising in my other thoroughbred. The pony is shit scared and they all just seem really tense. When I’m not there they seem to be grazing semi happily but as soon as I try to get my horses out the feild to feed them the others come running causing mayhem and I struggle to get them out the gate. They swarm around and stress my horses out then I’m holding what feels like three kites and things like the kick happen.
My three horses have become inseparable the last three days so I now can’t take one anywhere without the other which is going to be a nightmare when it comes to riding. The feild borders the arena which will either work in my favour as they’ll be able to see each other or cause mayhem as one will be galloping alongside making existing leg problems worse and the one I’m riding will play up.
I have the option to go to the yard I usually use when I’m home but with added distance which I’m willing to accept if it’s best. This would allow them to be turned out just those three so no nasty kicks etc. but I now fear I have separation issues which were slightly there before but much less so. Am I even going to be able to extract one horse from the feild to ride? This arena is further from the feild so hopefully they won’t hear each other ? Especially on the indoor.

Am I going to dress them out more by moving them again?
What’s everyone’s opinions. I’m tearing my hair out.

Vet coming Thursday btw

Also what do we think the cause for the puffy back legs? Can’t tell if lame or not but obviously now sore from the kick. There’s a cut near the swelling on one leg

Please help :/

meleeka

Visit site
It sounds very stressful for them. I’d move them, they aren’t settled anyway so the move is unlikely to make them worse. Horses being a pain near the gate is dangerous, for you and the horses, so it’s not something I’d be happy with. Presumably they have been moved before without issues?

Is the cut/swelling anywhere near a joint? If so I’d be getting the vet sooner than Thursday.

My equine life

Visit site
It sounds very stressful for them. I’d move them, they aren’t settled anyway so the move is unlikely to make them worse. Horses being a pain near the gate is dangerous, for you and the horses, so it’s not something I’d be happy with. Presumably they have been moved before without issues?

Is the cut/swelling anywhere near a joint? If so I’d be getting the vet sooner than Thursday.
Bit of running about but never injuries like this. Do you think this separation issue will be reversible once they are settled back in

My equine life

Visit site
I feel like there is something more stopping you from moving back to your original yard otherwise you would've moved them already?
1. Don’t want to stress them further and I guess I’m hanging on to hope that everything’s going to settle down soon

2. Are they now going to be inseparable either way

3. I’m not going to always have access to stables. Ie- when pony club need them which means leaving a pony with puffy legs trotting up and down the fence line whilst I ride bambi. Also if she needs box rest this won’t be possible

4. Petrol money and time but less of a concern. Just want them happy

PurBee

Visit site
Track system encourages movement by its design, and especially with new gang suddenly introduced, lots of herd dynamics to process, there would be racing around, whereas if it was a large field, they can more easily escape tension., and rest, rather than racing round and round.
Are there any paddocks there at the new place for you to have your 3 on? I guess not as that would already be done..

If they werent so 3some bound before being at this new place, its likely theyll revert to being more chilled again if moved, especially to a place they already kniw. It makes sense right now theyd be more bound as 3, as its 5 established herd against 3 new mini herd, effectively 2 small herds trying to merge. They currently feel more secure as 3, because of the new high stress dynamic.

They could settle, but as there’s been injuries, that’s more concerning, than just running around. The gate stress sounds a huge challenge too.
It would have been better for your 3 to be on their own track beside the 5 established herd track for a week, to have gentler introductions, before full access. If that’s possible to erect with electric fencing, that could work.

But if theres no options where you are aside from them being just on the track with the other 5, then i’d move to the other place you have experience of them being fine at.

My equine life

Visit site
Track system encourages movement by its design, and especially with new gang suddenly introduced, lots of herd dynamics to process, there would be racing around, whereas if it was a large field, they can more easily escape tension., and rest, rather than racing round and round.
Are there any paddocks there at the new place for you to have your 3 on? I guess not as that would already be done..

If they werent so 3some bound before being at this new place, its likely theyll revert to being more chilled again if moved, especially to a place they already kniw. It makes sense right now theyd be more bound as 3, as its 5 established herd against 3 new mini herd, effectively 2 small herds trying to merge. They currently feel more secure as 3, because of the new high stress dynamic.

They could settle, but as there’s been injuries, that’s more concerning, than just running around. The gate stress sounds a huge challenge too.
It would have been better for your 3 to be on their own track beside the 5 established herd track for a week, to have gentler introductions, before full access. If that’s possible to erect with electric fencing, that could work.

But if theres no options where you are aside from them being just on the track with the other 5, then i’d move to the other place you have experience of them being fine at.
Ok thank you. I think I’m going to do that. But wait for the vets verdict tomo about missy’s legs as if she needs box rest we could have problems !!

Widgeon

Visit site
Ok thank you. I think I’m going to do that. But wait for the vets verdict tomo about missy’s legs as if she needs box rest we could have problems !!

If you can move her to a field where she's settled and pottering about gently with her buddies I can't imagine box rest would be critical. I would briefly explain the situation to the vet and I'm sure they can help you find a workable solution, even if it's an electric turnout pen at the old yard, where she can be next to her friends.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I’d just move them to the yard further away.
This. Introducing three new horses into a new herd all at once isn't great practice anyway, but tracks often have narrow points so horses can be 'cornered'. Is there any way you can section off part of the track or a field next to it for your three and then introduce one at a time after a week or so over three weeks (introducing one per week) (assuming you stay!)?

Fjord

Visit site
Regarding potential box rest at the new yard, you could just make a small pen for the rested horse and they would still be able to see the others.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think additions to track systems need to be done carefully because the space is different and adding 3 at the same time was risky.
I’d move to other yard and deal with any separation anxiety issues later. I wouldn’t risk injury in tbe current set up if I had another option.

Flame_

Visit site
I'd move. I can't be doing with arrangements like this, injuries are inevitable. Moving won't cause as much stress as pain and treatment of injuries.

2 Dragons

Visit site
I'd move. It sounds too dangerous to stay. I built a small pen for my pony in the corner of the field with her friends when she needed to rested last year, worked well.