Please, I just need a hug ... hack today ended with an ambulance

HappyNeds

Visit site
No real reason for this post - other than still feeling very shook up and needing to tell someone who would understand.

Hubby and I went for a lovely hack today, beautiful sunshine here. We had been for a gentle ride (only in walk) for about an hour, and were on our way home, our boys were relaxed and happy mooching along. We could see ahead of us in a steep field adjacent to the road we were riding about a dozen cars and motor-cross bikes (is that what they call the scrambling bikes they use to ride in the woods and on dirt jumps?). The men and lads were just stood around with their bikes chatting

We were only about half way along the side of the field, when one of them started up his bike, (seriously loud noise) and revved it up the field and over several jumps.

Our horses seriously spooked, spinning and getting agitated. The chap on the bike saw, and slowed down, and was coming along the bottom of the field just a few meters away from us the other side of the fence.

I lifted my hand, smiled and thanked him for slowing, but he didn't wait, and we were literally adjacent to him (him in the field, us on the road), and he went off again over the mud in the field, revving up.

The boys went nuts, my husbands horse spun and bolted, mine followed, my husbands saddle started to slip, I saw my husband fall but I didn't see him hit the ground as I was already past him at full gallop.

Hubbys horse was out in front, full gallop (I never seen him go so fast) up the wrong side of the road, I can't believe I stayed on my horse, but it was like pulling on iron. I was trying to turn him into the hedge to slow him down, but no chance. We must have galloped flat out for well over a mile, around 4 blind bends and all on the wrong side of the road. I was praying that a car wouldn't come, I could just see in my mind the carnage that would guaranteed happen if a car came, we wouldn't have had a chance.

Finally after calling out 'wooaaa' a lot (in a very shaky voice!) I slowed them both into a canter, then a trot and slid off my boy as soon as he was in trot, then managed to grab my husbands horse. Both the boys were sweated up to their ears, and so agitated, turning and fretting. My husband horse had his saddle half way down his side, my horse had part pulled-off one of his hoof boots, I had to take that off so he could walk properly and rush back the way we had come, leading them both jiggling along to see if my poor huband was ok.

I met someone coming to meet me, she said a car had stopped to help my husband and had called the ambulance, as he wasn't conscious. She said she had horses herself, so took one of the boys for me (good job she was horse-confident as they were still so upset).

The ambulance passed us on it's way to my husband, so they got there just before I did. There was also a very lovely lady who had stopped to help my husband, she was so kind. Hubby was concious then and talking, he had landed on his head though, and hurt his back. They paramedic told me to secure the horses somewhere then come back, as they would be a while, so the very kind person who helped me walked one of them back with me the couple of miles to the field.

I just shoved them in their field, they were all sweaty and I was just thankful it was a warm day so they could dry off, and I rushed back in the car to the ambulance. They were just loading him, so I was in time, and followed them to the hospital.

Fortunately - we were both wearing body protectors (we always do, even just on gentle hacks), so after full spinal x-rays for hubby they said nothing was broken, but he has concussion and sever musckelito trauma (sorry about the spelling) and brusing. I've got to keep a close eye on him for the next 24 hours becuase of his head injury. They've given him some strong painkillers, my poor husband is shuffling around like a 100 year old man.

We got back a couple of hours ago, and I'm feeling really shaky. I would like to believe it was ignorance on the part of the bike-riders rather than deliberate melcious behaviour, but I'm not sure what to think - all the time the ambulance was treating my husband on the road they carried on riding round on their bikes, riding some jumps within a few meters of him led on the road - so that doesn't strike me as too concerned with what they'd done.

I know the worst thing is to imagine all the 'what ifs', but I keep just imagining what would have happened on the road if a car had been coming, and I can feel the panic in me, we would have died, I would have seen my husbands horse hit first then we would have been on top of it. I know that didn't happen, so I shouldn't think like that, but I can't block it out. I'm just so thankful that my husband should be ok, I can't bear the thought of anything happening to him.

I've checked on the horses in the dark after we got back from the hosptial, and they seem ok, but still very jumpy. I hope they will settle back down (although we won't be riding for a few weeks at least with poor hubby in the state he's in), and not get upset about that part of road as we need to ride that road to get to anywhere.

We were in full high-vis (us and the horses), we wear properly fitted hat and body-protection, we are always polite and friendly to all road/off-road users, we just out hack gently, our boys are great in traffic, will pass bin-truck/lorry/tractor/bikes no problem, but this was just rediculous.

Why oh why couldn't they have just waited another 30 seconds for us to pass?? :(

Last edited:

ZarasMum

Visit site
:eek: oh how awful, I'm so sorry you both had such a horrendous experience :( Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your OH and I hope the terrible memories fade fast for you and your horses.

FionaM12

Visit site
That's horrific. You poor things. :(

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. Look after yourself as well as him though, you've had a terrible shock.

It sounds like you handled it amazingly well. Well done, for stayiing on board and keeping the horses safe.

((((((((huge hugs))))))))))

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Oh my God poor you and your poor husband *hugs*
Well done for staying on and thank goodness for the kind people who stopped to help!!
I'd like to think it was ignorance too but all too often these days its just idiotic behaviour on their part.
Have a stiff drink tonight.
Is there anywhere/one you can report it to?
K x

digitalangel

Visit site
oh my goodness! massive massive hugs for you you poor poor thing. you are both very lucky you werent more seriously hurt and well done for staying on! i must borrow your superglue!

I have just moved into a new area which seems lovely for hacking but the motorbikes were out in force today - mostly teenagers with no helmet haring down the lane at 50MPH - i ended up not risking it with mine and led them down in hand, they were tearing around a single track lane at around 50...

i would hope it is ignorance too, but i think it was rude of the motorcyclists not to stop and see you were ok when the ambulance came. I would totally go to the local press and get them shamed!

Marydoll

Visit site
Glad you are okay as that must have been horrendous and scary for you all.
If the bike riders are there regularly, id go and ask them if they realised that it was the noise from their bikes that caused the incident, so if they find themselves in that position again,to wait till the horses are past before continuing.
Do you think when you waved they possibly thought it was an indication all was ok for them to continue ?
My husband is a biker and his training gave waay more instruction on actions to be taken on meeting horses than his car driving instructors did.

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
I think you need to speak to them face to face. With a bit of luck it may follow that some of these lads may also ride bikes on the rd. Would they like to be treated in such a manner. The younger lads also need to be educated in how animals such as horses are likely to react to the dirt bikes. If they do not take you serious, go to the police & the Council. Do you know who owns the land?

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Huge hugs. What a terrible thing to happen, but try to think positively, nobody has any broken bones and the horses are fine. Really hope your poor hubby is fit and well again soon. Horrible that they didn't wait but I'd like to hope it was ignorance rather than deliberate. Awful that they didn't try to help after realising there was a problem though. Hope you're feeling a bit better now. xx

HappyNeds

Visit site
Thank you for your lovely kind comments, I feel like crying again though! :confused:
My hands are still physically shaking (but only slightly now!). I need chocolate, that always helps! :)

I know it sounds silly now but I didn't even think about reporting it until just an hour ago when we were on the phone to my in-laws and they said 'why didn't you call the police?'. I will give them a call tomorrow on the non-emergency line just to mention it in case they have any suggestions, but as they were on private land I'm not sure they would have done anything anyway.

These weren't road bikes, the were the scambling ones, so I'm not sure if they have any training that would have covered horses?

We've not seen them there before, but I plan to go and look tomorrow, as if they are there again I would like to try and explain that it would be best for everyone if they could wait if they see horses, as they get very scared of the noise - I won't have a go at them as that won't accomplish anything or solve the problem for the future for us or any other riders (and I'm not very good at confrontation!!) but I just can't imagine how much worse it could have been, or if it had been a child on a pony instead, or someone very novice.

Last edited:

trina1982

Visit site
Oh you poor thing, that is just awful! Is it possible to report the scramblers? Or did they not 'technically' do anything wrong/illiegal. Such a shame for you, your OH and the horses.
I hope you OH is ok and try not to think of the what ifs. Keep talking about it though, you need to get it out of your system. You are probably in shock yourself, so take it easy.

Trina x

freisian

New User
Visit site
Im so sorry you have had such a horrible experience, hope your OH will soon be feeling better, we have the same problems in our area, they ride illegally in forests and any open ground they come across with no thought for walkers or horses or the environment which they are completely ripping up with their fast bikes. really hope this doesnt put you off hacking out.

be positive

Visit site
Horrid accident but fortunately all ok in the end.
I read your post twice to be clear that a car stopped and helped your OH also calling for help, what were the people in the field doing not coming to give help and check whether he was hurt. What they did may have been unintentional but to not come over to see if they could do anything is appalling behaviour.

Large glass of something medicinal prescribed for you, OH not allowed any tonight due to head injury:D

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
There are some extremely ignorant people around. Glad you're all ok. It's all too easy to think the worst after what's happened... But the worst didn't happen thank goodness - You're probably suffering from shock.... it won't feel so bad in a few days when hubby starts to get back to normal and the horses settle again xxx

Spiritedly

Visit site
I'm glad you and your husband are both ok, and the horses too. Is it a private field the bikes were in? It might be worth talking to the landowner and pointing out what happened as well as what might have.

flirtygerty

Visit site
HUGE HUG on it's way to you, that was one hell of a hack, you sound as though you are in shock, not surprisingly, it will take some time for the "what if's" to ease but they will, I would have a stiff drink, a hot bath and an early night, I sincerely hope the bikers get double punctures, I would also give your
horses a comfort feed tomorrow.
More hugs coming your way

hula

Visit site
That sounds awful, very frightening indeed. I'm glad to hear everyone is relatively ok. Sending you a hug. X

rockysmum

Visit site
God that must have been so frightening and then the worry about your OH. Well done for coping though, I hope you are all feeling better soon and that the horses get over it.

As the for the bikers, I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt, I have met too many of them on the moors around us. At best they dont care and at worst they do it on purpose.

Three of them used to rent a garage on our old yard. I was told they deliberately raced up and down the lane next to my horses field getting them to gallop. Our then 3 year old nearly went over the fence, they were overheard shouting to "do it again, it will go over next time". I lost my rag, told the farmer that I was going to kill them did he have a problem with that, he said no. So I went to their garage and let rip, I put the fear of god into three early twenties lads. They were so worried about what I was going to do to them that they asked advice from other guys on the yard. Eventually they came round to apologise and ask what they could do to put it right. I accepted this but I dont think for one minute they were sorry, just scared.

By the way I am a women, late forties at the time, so the are cowards along with everything else.

mle22

Visit site
What a terrible experience - you must be still in total shock - arnica for both you and hubby as it's good for trauma, mental and physical. Just glad it wasn't any worse x

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
Oh my!!! Was utterly horrified when I read your post. Swore a lot too. So glad that it turned out as well as it did and that some people did help you. The woman who helped you with your horses was excellent. As was the person who waited with your husband. The people with the motor bikes were halfwits.

So huge, massive hugs from me. You, your husband and your horses need and deserve them.

HappyNeds

Visit site
I read your post twice to be clear that a car stopped and helped your OH also calling for help, what were the people in the field doing not coming to give help and check whether he was hurt. What they did may have been unintentional but to not come over to see if they could do anything is appalling behaviour.

Sorry my first post was so long - it just all came spilling out!

Yes - a couple of cars stopped to help my husband, one lovely lady who seemed to take control (so I'm told), she called the ambulance, held his hand, and kept talking to him until he re-gained consciousness and could start talking to her. Another mother and daughter, the mother who waited with hubby, and the daughter (who had her own horses) who came looking for me and helped me with husband horse, and kindly walked them back with me to the field. Some lovely lovely people who I am so very grateful to.

But - no one from the field came across - they just carried on their bike riding/jumping/revving, which is sad :(
I just like everyone to get along, we always go out of our way to be considerate to others, it is possible for all hobbies to muddle along together as long as we take the time to recognise other situations, so this whole thing makes me feel very sad.

I also think your name 'be positive' is very appropriate for me today :)

cambrica

Visit site
What an absolute nightmare of a day for you. :(. Wishing you both a speedy recovery from what must have been sheer terror.
Are the bikes there legally or illegally? We have lads on m/c bikes riding illegally but so far they have tended to switch off until we are well clear, however the thought of them not seeing us scares the hell out of me. Have had bikes on the road rev up just as they pass which is enough to spook the horses.
You must go over and have a chat with them though as it seems to be pure ignorance.
Thoughts are with you and your hubby :)

canteron

Visit site
We've not seen them there before, but I plan to go and look tomorrow, as if they are there again I would like to try and explain that it would be best for everyone if they could wait if they see horses, as they get very scared of the noise - I won't have a go at them as that won't accomplish anything or solve the problem for the future for us or any other riders (and I'm not very good at confrontation!!) but I just can't imagine how much worse it could have been, or if it had been a child on a pony instead, or someone very novice.

Poor you, I think its worse when someone else gets hurt, I hope your husband is quickly on the mend.

Before talking to the boys - or the landowner if its more appropriate - it might be worth chatting to the police first. In a similar situation around here they were great and had a effective chat ..... it turns out that in my case the policeman's wife rode so he was very aware of the dangers. Hopefully your local police are as good.

millikins

Visit site
Sorry for your very scary experience. If there were lots of them and they'd built jumps are they members of a club that you could formally complain to?