Please put my mind at rest!

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'm so worried. My yard is behind a house, very well hidden and not many people know we are there. Today I went riding, 2 men of a certain community saw me come out the house driveway, they mentioned how nice Ruby was, I thanked them and went on my way. on the way back I rode up the driveway, I could hear a car on the road, but then noticed the car was standstill. I turned around and noticed the same 2 blokes watching me in a red car. So they now know there is a stables behind that house, they also like me Horse. I notified YO right away and she's parked her car across the entrance (only way in and out) taken all tack home and moved our rugs. Also told the owners of the house to be suspicious over the next few days and call us if any unknown cars turn up the driveway or at a late time.

I can't hide her, I left her out as she's a pain to catch so thought that was best. They wouldn't go for a fine Irish Sports PonyxTB coloured would they? :eek:. YO is worried as she has a Palomino Welsh D mare and a Hackneyx mare!

ZondaR

Visit site
I would think the parking thing is a good idea. They may be looking at the house rather than the horses. If you see the car again, take a picture it and note the reg. Let them see you doing this. If you are really nervous, ring the police and tell them and see what they say. Going forward, put up some cctv cameras, even if they are not connected. These are just ideas and suggestions and I hope you find them helpful.

PC Steele

Visit site
Sounds like you have done the right things so far. Make sure you get the reg. no,colour etc. of car and write down a description of the men. You haven't got access to a big vicious dog have you:rolleyes::rolleyes:

LaurenBay

Visit site
I have a rough description of the 2 men as they were on foot when they first spotted me. All I know about the car is that it's red. I have seen them men before though I'm sure. I do know there's a site up the road so perhaps they come from there. YO said she wants to now get a guard Dog!

TPO

Visit site
What borders the field? It has been known for fences to be taken down. If fence was broken could they lead horses out anywhere or is field bordered by houses?

I'm sure you've no reason to worry but it's hard when it's your horse/ yard. I'd notify the police, you never know it may mean they drive past/ through the area a bit more.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Woods and fields. They can't get out the field though as there's one other entry and that's got a huge gate on it, that leads out onto the main road. The other side is the house where the easiest access is, but now blocked off with the car. She isn't freezemarked but is chipped.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
If that had happened here I'd have already told the police and they would probably be doing drive bys and we'd have all had text alerts and phone calls about it - and yes I'm being serious!

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I had a scare one day when a lady who's house overlooked my field told me they had seen a guy climb over my fence and try and catch my horse. Thankfully my boy is very wary of 'intruders' in his field, but will always go the the gate to say hello if a treat is offered so people assume hes friendly. Poor boy double barreled the guy then ran off up the field and stayed up there all day, didnt even come down to his hay, took me ages to get him back to the gate to eat his tea. Rang the police to report it after the neighbour came over and they did drive bys throughout the night (neighbour saw them three times pull up, get out and give him a mint and a scratch before going again) and put a 'police aware' notice up on my gate to deter any would be thieves.

I was umming about calling the police, thinking it was some idiot trying it on, until someone said to me, if anything happens, the police are going to ask 'why didnt you let us know of this sooner?' so i called them and they said i was right to do so as it all gets logged. :)

LaurenBay

Visit site
I will see if I can look up a non emergency number then. Perhaps they will do drivebys. They can't get onto the yard and won't even be able to see it from the road, but if the men see the police going up and down they won't try anything.

PC Steele

Visit site
Do you live in quite a rural area? If so it's more than likely you will have a department in Essex police that deals with rural/equine matters. If you see them again try and get reg. no, make of car every detail counts. If you see them hanging around note dates and times and try and get the neighbours to do the same.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Have reported on the non emergency number. The police will do a few drive bys tonight. Has put my mind at ease a little more. I was gutted I didn't get the reg no. But the car was side on to me. They may have just been admiring my Horse. But better to be safe then sorry. Don't think I'm gonna get much sleep tonight though. I even gave her extra cuddles and kisses just in case!!!!

PollyP99

Visit site
With the state of the market I would doubt they were after horses, more likely the easy to sell items associated with a yard. Make sure everything is locked down. Around here it's mostly quads, farm equipment going walkabouts to the local site!

nixxyz

Visit site
If your really worried about them pinching your horse, and you dont show or plan to, I would put purple spray on her legs to deter them. Its a pain to wash out and very easily spotted and difficult to cover if on the legs. Then i would arrange to get her freeze marked. Better safe than sorry.

Clodagh

Visit site
Essex have a good farmwatch group. I will pm you the email of the coordinator. I would recommend all livery yards were members, we get regular emails with reg nos and vehicles to look out for.
Can't find it at the moment, it will be on OH's puter, will look later.

rowan666

Visit site
As honey-bees said i always make a point of telling random admirers all mine cost a fortune in vets bills/medication for their severe incurable diseases! ;) very OTT but we unfortunatly quite often get strangers sniffing round our fields for various reasons (never actually horse related) its very frustrating

Loulou2002

Visit site
When we got broken into i spotted a 4x4 hanging round our gate and people looking down the drive about 4 days beforehand. I noted the reg of the car down and gave it to the police to check up on after the burglary. The police were utter crap! checked the reg which registered to address in peterborough which is a few hours drive from us, but that was it! Weren't even willing to ask them why they had been near our yard!
Sorry to say they cleared us out! Took all the tack, rugs quad bike etc. I don't think they would touch your horse as she would stick out like a sore thumb in a sale etc but i would keep an eye on your tack, double lock everything and a car across the gate is a good idea.

HBM1

Visit site
I know you are instantly worried about your horse, but has it occurred to you it was not the horse they were watching? Be careful yourself, be aware of anyone following you home etc. Take usual precautions that anyone should take when out alone these days.

Supertrooper

Visit site
We had this happen to us about three years ago......... Two weeks later my friends 4x4 was stolen while she was at yard. They ran in, grabbed her keys and drove off.

The police said they arn't interested in stealing horses but you've done the right things ie contacting police, tightening security etc

LaurenBay

Visit site
Everything ok today. I felt sick to my stomache this morning unlocking the gates as wouldn't know what I would find. All ok. We are leaving the car accross the gates again and I have taken my tack home again.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Be aware that they could return at any time to relive you of your posessions.

Get your horses freezemarked as soon as possible this is really the only method for anyone to identify a specific horse.

Putting up warning notices won't do much good as many burglars are unable to read!

Ensure all possessions left on the yard are post coded or marked with Smartwater.
www.smartwater.com