PLEASE READ!!!

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
I'm too far away to offer anything meaningless, other than to encourage MSS on this initiative. The excellent ideas being contributed on this thread may lead to something really effective.

Here in S Africa, "moving adverts" are used by many companies, mainly on minibus taxis (main form of public transport for many). I also love the idea of a good youtube clip, they really can reach millions.

If ONE life or ONE horse or ONE motorist may be saved, it's worth it. Good luck, I'm sure many will follow this thread with interest.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I think it would be a really good idea. I find the drivers have deteriorated over the last few years in their understanding of horses. I have been told by many people who drive that they think if a horse is not 100% reliable then they shouldn't be ridden on the road, they really do not get that no horse is ever going to be 100% reliable 100% of the time. We even have a few drivers around here who delight in driving faster as they see the horse I think to see what reaction they get. :eek:

Fii

Visit site
What about trying to get horse and hound involved to create a poster campaign!!
One of the other horse mags did this some years ago.
i live in a tourist area and a lot of people who come here on holiday do not understand how to react to horses on the road, so the way forward is education, i for one would be happy in going round putting posters up in car parks etc! Or even help with designing one!

Luci07

Visit site
Really liked the earlier post suggesting reduced insurance for those of us who took our road and safety test. And making hi viz obligatory when on the road.

In my experience people (drivers and riders) don't mean to be rude or unthinking BUT...they are ignorant of the impact of their behaviour.

Who in here rides a motor bike? Because I very very rarely meet an inconsiderate motor cyclist. If you try to move over for them (or move out to stop one overtaking as I did yesterday as he hadn't seen the van overtaking towards me) ... They always thank drivers. Road cyclists are nearly always a pain in the arse and have the same attitude that a lot of horse riders seem to have!

gwniver

Visit site
Brillient idea !! :D:D
just the other day i was hacking out with my green 4year old and a big black car came up really fast , way over the speed limit , both me and my mom signaled for the car to slow down/stop because my horse is a bit sceared of car but he sped passed ...reving :mad::mad:sorry for the moan:eek:

it would be great to get our problem out there;)

sorry

MSS

Visit site
I would like to thank every one of you for your contribution to this conversation! :)

I agree with many of you that the education is needed in all road users – including us horsey people! I also do understand that TV campaign is most likely going to be too expensive for me to organise, but more attention we highlight to this very important issue – more likely it is to save someone getting hurt! Already there have been some excellent ideas! Like the posters to the horse trailers and Lorries and video clip to be posted viral (facebook/youtube)! And also posters on car parks and side of the roads! Maybe even leaflets on the high streets!
I am also considering contacting other communities that share same problems cyclists and motorbikes, maybe if we join together it will also help us understand each other more. And also other charities and government bodies, but more of you I have to help me on this more likely we will get noticed!

I do understand that we can’t change everyone’s views, and there will always be those who are in too much hurry, or just thinks that no one else should be on road, but there is no point of moaning about something if you are not willing to try make the change.

Again thank you so much all of you! And any good ideas – keep them coming!!! And if you have any ideas for posters or video clips – please let me know!!!

meandmrblue

Visit site
As TV advertising is a hugely expensive undertaking-even billboards cost a bomb. How about seeing if you can come up with a film for YouTube or facebook or something? You might find some film/media students who could be persuaded (coursework project? Or beer money!) to get involved. See if you can get your film to go viral :D

This seems a good idea.

janei

Visit site
Great ideas coming up and a really important topic. Loving the idea of the vrial video - was just musing about whether this is something that lots of us could get involved in? not sure how feasible it would be but maybe work towards a day or weekend of public awareness raising rides across the country that could all locally raise awareness, be filmed to make up the bigger viral video and hopefully not cost too much, local celebrities might even get involved in the rides?? Just a thought but the enthusiasm of MSS spurred me on! :D Good luck and keep us all updated!

MSS

Visit site
If there is anyone here who is involved with charities or knows about the legal rules around the raising funds, I would really appreciate your help!?!

I love the idea of getting media students involved, and it would be great to be able to raise some money so I could set up a prise fund to motivate them to get involved! Thru that we could get great videos and posters!?
But also if anyone knows any graphic designers or media wizards – please maybe you could get them involved?

Will look this weekend if I can set up a facebook group for this so that anyone who would like to be involved can be easier kept in touch!

I can’t thank you all enough for your input and encouraging comments! It’s nice to know that many of you see this as a cause worth the effort! :D

Fii

Visit site
I dont know if this has been mentioned, but i think how to drive past horse riders should be included in ALL driving lessons! (it was in mine but my driving instructor owns horses)

Also one idea about making a video, a lot of universities have film making as courses, ( i think Bournemouth does) so it might be a good idea to find out about this, as they are always looking for new ideas!!

Jericho

Visit site
This seems a good idea.

Viral video very good idea - sharing across Facebook etc. as sick as it might seem, some graphic pictures do seem to make people sit up! Road users need to be educated about horses are unpredictable animals and riders need to be educated to be considerate eg high viz, due care and attention.

MSS

Visit site
I dont know if this has been mentioned, but i think how to drive past horse riders should be included in ALL driving lessons! (it was in mine but my driving instructor owns horses)

Also one idea about making a video, a lot of universities have film making as courses, ( i think Bournemouth does) so it might be a good idea to find out about this, as they are always looking for new ideas!!

I totally agree!!! I actually had an incident with the driving school vehicle – where they were in a middle of a lesson driving past me very fast and so close that wing mirror nearly touched my leg! I managed to get the name of the driving school and phoned them as soon as I got back to the yard and said that “this time I will take it as ignorance, but if I ever see this kind of behaviour again I will file a complain against them for dangerous driving”. We had a good chat about it and afterwards when ever I saw them they actually were very polite. It still always amazes me how people perception about the riders and horses seem to be so out of touch! But being nice to them and giving them a chance to understand usually have a very good result!

Pen_name

Visit site
The main problem around here is a lack of high viz! Nothing like driving down a leafy lane and suddenly realising you're almost on top of a horse!

MSS

Visit site
The main problem around here is a lack of high viz! Nothing like driving down a leafy lane and suddenly realising you're almost on top of a horse!

Yes I totally agree!!! We also need to take the responsibility!!! High Vis, knowing the hand signals, considering the drivers and allowing them to go past when possible and thanking them when they do slow down and/or wait for us! :D And SMILE :D

lizstuguinness

Visit site
Fundraising is all every well but a tv campaign that would hit home enough would cost millions (and no im not joking), Another effective way would be Radio, but this would cost 50-100K. dont underestimate the power of radio! Viral is another option which has been discussed but the issue here is that only interetsed parties will take note, so personlay i dont think this will really work to be effective in educating road users.

However I fell that a uk ride out (blockaid) would be better, this way a lot of the roads would be used by riders at busy times but by riding 5 abreast allowing one car past at a time would be very effective. having people on foot with placards would show the campaign and not let people think this is rude behaviour. Would take only a few people in each county to go to five livery yards in their area to get riders together, plan a route with staggard start times/places, then forward this info to a central point of contact who will then ensure that the media is kept informed about routes, times dates etc - this way they have news story, you are getting your message accross and allowing Road users to keep off the roads or plan a different route, but at least they wiull know about the campaign and become informed. You just need this big enough to make an impact.

MSS

Visit site
Fundraising is all every well but a tv campaign that would hit home enough would cost millions (and no im not joking), Another effective way would be Radio, but this would cost 50-100K. dont underestimate the power of radio! Viral is another option which has been discussed but the issue here is that only interetsed parties will take note, so personlay i dont think this will really work to be effective in educating road users.

However I fell that a uk ride out (blockaid) would be better, this way a lot of the roads would be used by riders at busy times but by riding 5 abreast allowing one car past at a time would be very effective. having people on foot with placards would show the campaign and not let people think this is rude behaviour. Would take only a few people in each county to go to five livery yards in their area to get riders together, plan a route with staggard start times/places, then forward this info to a central point of contact who will then ensure that the media is kept informed about routes, times dates etc - this way they have news story, you are getting your message accross and allowing Road users to keep off the roads or plan a different route, but at least they wiull know about the campaign and become informed. You just need this big enough to make an impact.

Hi! I did think of this, but my main concern was that this would make the drivers who already see horses on the road as nuisance to get even more annoyed with us. Similar way as what happened to the High Vis company that created the “Polite” range. Even thou the riders were not causing any harm to the drivers, but because they felt like they have been tricked made them raise this in their own forums where they encouraged other drivers to actually speed up or use their horn to scare riders who were wearing these.

I like the idea of national awareness day – maybe if there were enough of us and we could arrange a pony rides in out towns where we tell the kids about the hand signals and what they meant, parents would see and hear about this too? Just another thought… :)

MSS

Visit site
I would also like to encourage everyone that has had an accident to report it to BHS (see link below) as this will help them to have more accurate details and numbers – this will also help us to approve the point how important this cause is!

http://www.horseaccidents.org.uk/

catembi

Visit site
I think this is a good idea.

I've wondered about this exact thing (tv advert) while out hacking. The only constructive thing I have to offer is that it might be a good idea to show the rider doing other stuff in non riding gear (at work in an office? gardening? in the supermarket?) and then getting on a horse to show that riders are normal people like everyone else & not rich & stuck up?

T x

MSS

Visit site
I think this is a good idea.

I've wondered about this exact thing (tv advert) while out hacking. The only constructive thing I have to offer is that it might be a good idea to show the rider doing other stuff in non riding gear (at work in an office? gardening? in the supermarket?) and then getting on a horse to show that riders are normal people like everyone else & not rich & stuck up?

T x

Yes another great idea! I get that so often when people say that horsey people are just stuck up rich kids! Lol even if I did have little money before I got my horse – I definitely do not have that problem anymore!!! But wouldn’t change my life!!!

MSS

Visit site
Horse* thank you for that link! Unfortunately that petition has been closed, but will see if I can find out who started it and see if it can be opened again or maybe we can start new one! :)

Theocat

Visit site
What about a vid that shows a rider falling off a horse in a variety of amusing situations, then shows the horse and rider hacking along a road and a car slows right down and goes past slowly, and the rider gives a big smile and a wave and DOESN'T fall off? Could maybe do a comedy "nearly" fall off right at the end at something non-car related to finish it off. :D

niagaraduval

Visit site
I saw one back along years ago by the BHS where 2 horses were walking down the road and then they were hit by a car. This was very very hard to watch but got the point across. Could they not air this ad again ?