Please talk to me about Friesians!!!!!!!!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've been told to think very carefully due to their more bouncy way of going...I have Fibromyalgia so being jagged about all the time might not be the best thing. I think it may be back to my other great love...heavy horses.....

tbh I found riding one like riding a square wheeled bike :/ lovely natured horse but then he was a driving horse and getting on a bit. The yard I was on had four and I didn't much care for any of them temperament wise I'm afraid. I like arabs and lusitanos and the Friesians were nothing like as people-oriented imho. I did know of another owned by an online 'friend' and that was a stunning mare but not my cup of tea.

Iberians give a smooth ride but they arent for everyone either.

Tern

Visit site
Yes, but they are not for every rider, and you need a lot of sensitivity to ride them well.

No breed suits everyone. ;)

Sensitivity levels - depends entirely on the horse imo. I have ridden a very sensitive lusitano and then a very laid back lusitano. Over all I preferred the more sensitive one but that was because he was more willing to work! :)

OP - maybe you could find a local stud that sells or has ridden friesians/iberians and ask if you can pop up and meet them. If you like the horses there then they may know other people that have the right type of horse for you for sale.

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
My Friesian mare has a lovely temperament - can turn her hoof to anything - is brave, inquisitive and good with people and other horses. Her ride action is less showy and bouncy than Dutch imports as she was bred and trained in Scotland but I am grateful for that as I broke my back and damaged my hip some decades ago. I can ride her every day or leave her for a holiday and she is the same "person" when I next get on. Try lots of different types of horses with an open mind and the right one will make itself apparent. Have fun horse hunting.

minkymoo

Visit site
I've been told to think very carefully due to their more bouncy way of going...I have Fibromyalgia so being jagged about all the time might not be the best thing. I think it may be back to my other great love...heavy horses.....

Have you thought about a PRE (Andalusian)? Much less bouncy and even more beautiful <biased> I bought mine as a baby but there are plenty of UK studs.

I'd attach a photo but cba with photo bucket!

minkymoo

Visit site
Yes, but they are not for every rider, and you need a lot of sensitivity to ride them well.

I totally disagree. My PRE is so much easier to ride than my Anglo Arab, much brighter, willing to learn & not at all hot to ride. He picks things up so fast, riding him is always a pleasure and never a chore.

My friend had a friesian and he was incredibly hot, he really was very sensitive and I don't think I'd have enjoyed riding him at all.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I adore my PRE's, but I repeat, they are not for everyone. Yes, they are the most trainable horse on the planet, but that means you, the rider, has to be able to train them to do good stuff, because they learn the bad stuff just as easily. I have, over the years, had many Spanish horses that have been seriously messed up by inexperienced owners (also many non Spanish too of course! But the Spaniards seem to take it all so much more to heart). The Friesians, IME, can take a bit more knocking about, but are consequently not as quick on the uptake (I did not say thick.....). There are, of course, laid back PRE's just as in any breed, but if you are being advised to look at this breed please do visit and talk to people who are very experienced with them. Applies to Friesians too, actually just about any "foreign" breed will be different to what we are used to over here.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Freisians - whoever said they should only ever pull a cart were right! Beautiful and flashy but why would anyone want to ride one?
I get the impression you are not terribly brave, for which I mean no disrespect, I am not all brave any more, but why buy a horse bred for flashy movement and colour?
I think your idea of an ardennes or a suffolk or percheron cross would be much better. Stop worrying and it will come - worked with me and my husband. :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've got a cob. HW traditional. Hes got a lovely refined pony head, and soo much hair, he also moves incredibly well which means hes very flashy. Hes also super smooth to ride. Forward and keen, but he did bare back pony rides for my 11 yr old niece the other day after weeks of doing nothing. I can and do pick him up and put him down as and when it suits me and he doesnt care :) Hes too small for you as hes a midgety 14.2hh but there are smart, flashy cobs out there who thrive on what most horses would consider border line neglect :lol: So you could have all the flash and bounce of the friesan without the uncomfortable ride, possible medical issues and huge price tag :)

Tern

Visit site
I get the impression you are not terribly brave, for which I mean no disrespect, I am not all brave any more, but why buy a horse bred for flashy movement and colour?
I think your idea of an ardennes or a suffolk or percheron cross would be much better. Stop worrying and it will come - worked with me and my husband. :)

This! :) SLH - I say don't go out and look for a certain breed/colour/gender (unless you detest mares with a passion :D) just search for something steady.

A shetland x prezewalski :)rolleyes:) with one eye and 3 ears could come along and be perfect. It may not be WHAT you wanted but it will be WHO you wanted.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Freisians - whoever said they should only ever pull a cart were right! Beautiful and flashy but why would anyone want to ride one?

I sometimes wonder if we don't worry too much about what we 'should' have, when perhaps we should concentrate on what we need. A good post, Clodagh.

Alec.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This! :) SLH - I say don't go out and look for a certain breed/colour/gender (unless you detest mares with a passion :D) just search for something steady.

A shetland x prezewalski :)rolleyes:) with one eye and 3 ears could come along and be perfect. It may not be WHAT you wanted but it will be WHO you wanted.

I have to agree. When you are ready to buy, SLH, make a list of the characteristics that you want in a horse. Have 3 columns, must/ preferred/ must not and use that list to weed out unsuitable horses when you read their ads.
I have very clear criteria when I buy a new horse and have rarely had to view more than 3 before finding THE one.
I have had a variey of breeds/crosses, from TBxWelsh to Clydesdales but that is partly becasue my criteria have changed as Ilve got older and less bouncy.

rara007

Visit site
In general they have awful stamina but are very very good at standing and posing! The only one I've ridden was very lazy and backwards (but still looked elevated in doing so) = not the comfiest, though some people might like that neck in front of them.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to this thread. I admit I'm swayed by the look of the Friesian but I really don't think they are the horse for me. Heavy horses are my big love and I think I'm better to stick to what I know and love....esp as my confidence is shot.

planete

Visit site

I am afraid I totally agree with this statement concerning Lipizzaners at least. Fabulous horses but not for a lot of riders as they will turn into monsters or go like upside down donkeys if their rider is not on their wavelength, and that is very finally tuned!