Please tell me how to...

Quigleyandme

Visit site
...Trim a very long mane and forelock on a buzzy, fidgety, easily bored two year old. I have cross ties under the solarium but he saws his head up and down and tries to catch the cross ties in his mouth. He is good to handle and wash and polite with his feet but gets impatient with grooming except for his face. He isn’t clipper trained, I have zero aptitude for clipping, trimming and finishing and only possess two pairs of blunt utility scissors and one of those toothy things that looks a bit like a vegetable peeler for shaping tails. Thank you in advance.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Buy/beg/borrow some sharp scissors.

As you say that he is good about being washed, wash his mane well and condition it.

Brush and comb his mane to remove tangles. Then using a mane comb, backcomb upwards if you were going to pull the mane, but instead of pulling it, use the scissors angled up at 45° to cut the mane to the desired length.

Repeat many times until the mane has been shortened and tamed. If he gets fidgety, do it over a few days so that you don't sicken him.

Angling the scissors means that you shouldn't get a pudding bowl cut.

This is the method I use on all of mine, inc the RSPCA fosters :).

Good luck.

SusieT

Visit site
If he's two take a step back and train him to be calm rather than fighting/setting up a bad habit. Take the focus off the mane and break it into steps. e.g. stand quietly for a moment, reward, stand quietly while you run fingers trhough mane, reward. stand quietly while you clip.
or get a helper to hold a lick in front of him