Please tell me I am not alone

P3LH

Visit site
Now neither of my rough collies are particularly bothered about toys. In fact it’s only since corgi tank came they even seemed to acknowledge toys - they aren’t the smartest of dogs so tend to just get excited about the actual throwing of a toy, to run around in circles excitedly barking and then forget what they were excited about so go back to sleep.

Corgi Sherman tank is a toy fan. A big toy fan. She reached the milestone of surviving to her second birthday last week, which shows that Satan and his dark forces really are alive and well. She had a selection of new toys bought for her. They were interesting for a short period. I would say after an initial half hour they were discarded in the garden.

Since we first brought her home she’s loved those cheap little potting plant pots. Post visit to the garden centre today she has been playing with one in particular for, now, roughly four hours - only stopping to get a drink and even then never taking her eye off it. Compared to the selection of nice birthday toys which are still littering the garden untouched since Monday.

please tell me I am not the only dog owner amongst us who experiences this and subsequently thinks - why bother?? Next time I’ll stick to planting pots!

Exhibit a at ten weeks. Exhibit b and c today.

Attachments

• 0D1D85DD-5B20-4A34-A6DB-28B5E34F1469.jpeg
    0D1D85DD-5B20-4A34-A6DB-28B5E34F1469.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 9F49F4FD-EB4D-4769-A9D6-C1D9F33180FC.jpeg
    9F49F4FD-EB4D-4769-A9D6-C1D9F33180FC.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 36
  • EDCFC825-02A9-453E-848C-05A2D2EB9E4C.jpeg
    EDCFC825-02A9-453E-848C-05A2D2EB9E4C.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 36

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have had Labs in the family since before I was born, we have had lots who preferred to play with plant pots, rather than anything else. We currently have an 8 yr old Rottweiler and 2 x 2yr old Labs. The Rott has always enjoyed tug games and chew toys. We tried to introduce the Rotts to chasing a ball but other than big Jolly balls they were never interested. However in the last few weeks the 8 yr old has suddenly developed an interest in playing with balls! She will bring a ball into the house, sit on the dog bed and roll the ball about, then pounce on it!

P3LH

Visit site
It has all ended in tears. One of the roughs joined in and it got ripped in two. There are other smaller pots but clearly not as important as the big red one. She has retreated to her hiding spot behind the hydrangeas to lick her wounds and plot revenge. I feel a pissed on collie bed will be inevitable later me thinks.

I am glad I’m not the only one though!! OH frequently buys these rather fancy looking dog toys with ridiculous price tags - and I always think what a waste?

Shady

Visit site
Love the photos. Too adorable :)
None of my dogs have been interested in toys of any kind, and I have no idea why I just bought some for the new pup.
However they have liked plastic milk bottles and the cats furry mice

Clodagh

Visit site
We call the recycling box the toy box, it contains lots of entertainment. Mind you I’m too tight to buy toys ?

silv

Visit site
Gosh, she is absolutely adorable, I would love a corgi but they are really hard to find here. I have a foster dog here at the moment a failed farm dog, she won't look at toys either but loves pinecones, my slippers and goes into my sock drawer and pulls out socks! Might try the plant pot as have lots lying around.

P3LH

Visit site
Gosh, she is absolutely adorable, I would love a corgi but they are really hard to find here. I have a foster dog here at the moment a failed farm dog, she won't look at toys either but loves pinecones, my slippers and goes into my sock drawer and pulls out socks! Might try the plant pot as have lots lying around.
They aren’t that common here either!! Half of what people tend to source from these pet for sale websites look like sheltie x Jack Russell’s and cost about three k!!! Madam came from a very well respected British breeder who had been breeding for around sixty years or so. She goes right back to the stormerbank and wey corgis. We had planned to take a litter from her to a lovely US import stud, to keep a pup back, but they have such a huge rate of not labouring naturally, of c-section and birth complications that we are having a rethink.

she’s super but not an easy dog, very clever and always thinks she knows best (as most corgi bitches do) but she’s fiercely loyal and fits in well with the others.

Attachments

• A89DE48C-FCF2-4AA0-ABFD-FD78E8191074.jpeg
    A89DE48C-FCF2-4AA0-ABFD-FD78E8191074.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 8

P3LH

Visit site
She was actually meant to have a career as a school therapy dog and come to work with me. Her initial training was very positive and she loved it until one day she decided to adopt the ‘hmm might do it, might not’ mentality for the very first time, which is an ethos she hasn’t failed to live by since! As a result she ‘took a sabbatical’ whilst we worked on this. She then had a horrible experience with some children on holiday and has been quietly reserved when in small peoples company ever since.
The hmm might do it, might not mentality - or more aptly ‘what is in it for me’ mentality is the breed through and through. They also push whenever they see a chink eg perfect example friends visited with their very chilled rescue small x breed a few weeks ago. They played beautifully without a crossed word for hours, then a bird landed on the fence and she barked - friends dog flinched, and madam then knew there was a chink. For the rest of the day she pushed it with him, barking at him when he went near the water bowl, taking toys from him etc. (She got a telling off and time out! Several!)

they are cracking dogs but, as i say, not easy and you’ve gotta get how that very bright brain ticks. I’m intrigued by their surge in popularity and how less experienced/fluffier, owners seem to cope. I hands down admit she has been, and often continues to be, a very loving challenge!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Taking the tightly screwed on lid off a plastic bottle is a favourite time waster of one of mine. Plant pots are highly desirable and shoes are the go to for ‘gifts’.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Still absolutely desperate for a corgi. I even had a browse for puppies the other day until OH pointed out we were about to have our hands full with a human baby plus the existing dog, cat and horse. oh and moving 250 miles north. I’m hopeful my time will come but until now I will obsess over your photos (tri colours are my favourite and was the reason I picked Mabel out of her litter, until her poodle gene kicked in and she completely changed colour ?).

Mabel either kills her toys or buries them in the garden. She LOVES plastic bottles and her absolute favourite…sneaking used tissues out of OH’s pocket when he’s asleep on the sofa and promptly ripping them into 100 tiny little pieces.

Oh and of course Teddy. He’s her favourite toy of all but she does at least have the sense to only play when he is in the mood. Otherwise she is objected to his claws pinning her head down whilst he subjects her to a vicious grooming session. Nothing upsets Teddy more than Mabel’s scruffiness.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My Lab actually plays with all of her toys and she has quite a few! She likes to carry stuff around. She doesn't seem to favor one over the other. I do see her with her stuffed owl the most, I think.

I supposed she'd play with a plant pot. I think she'd be interested in anything I give her, really. Or at least give it a try. Never heard or thought about plant pots, but this dog is the first I've had in quite awhile.

I'm about to buy her some water toys for fetching since we've been doing a lot of swimming and I can't always find a good stick nearby.

P3LH

Visit site
Still absolutely desperate for a corgi. I even had a browse for puppies the other day until OH pointed out we were about to have our hands full with a human baby plus the existing dog, cat and horse. oh and moving 250 miles north. I’m hopeful my time will come but until now I will obsess over your photos (tri colours are my favourite and was the reason I picked Mabel out of her litter, until her poodle gene kicked in and she completely changed colour ?).

Mabel either kills her toys or buries them in the garden. She LOVES plastic bottles and her absolute favourite…sneaking used tissues out of OH’s pocket when he’s asleep on the sofa and promptly ripping them into 100 tiny little pieces.

Oh and of course Teddy. He’s her favourite toy of all but she does at least have the sense to only play when he is in the mood. Otherwise she is objected to his claws pinning her head down whilst he subjects her to a vicious grooming session. Nothing upsets Teddy more than Mabel’s scruffiness.
I would suggest going through the Welsh corgi league rather than looking at anything listed for sale - even on the KC website. They’ve become overbred and exploited so a good breeder is key. They are also not an easy breed so you want one that’s come from a mating with a lot of thought behind it, temperament and ‘mindset’ is key within them. Some will be sharper than others, her sire was basically a labrador in corgi clothing / as was the dog we had planned to mate her too. She is sharp though, sharper than her siblings - and she doesn’t mind telling you off if she’s not happy about something. The success of them as a breed lately has painted them as these funny couch potatoes - they are still a stock dog, and you have to be firmer than even I expected from day one - they will rule the roost if given the chance. She behaves well for me but not so much for OH, or Mum who dogsits from time to time. There is quite a variation in type too even amongst good breeders, some breed them exceedingly long and low, others seem to breed them far too big. Gin came from ryslip but I’m not convinced they’ll have anymore litters anytime soon, perhaps even again. Haresfoot, Edmund and Richbourne corgi’s are, IMO, all very nice.

I too prefer the tri colours - mini German shepherds, in looks and temperament! They are cracking dogs though. I was really really set on taking a litter, everything was ready to go really - but they have such high figures of having quite serious problems that I am reluctant to risk her.

they are the loveliest of pups too. The one of all four was the first I saw, she was naughty even then.

Attachments

• 85C6F05C-C99F-46A2-8712-F736766E2CB8.jpeg
    85C6F05C-C99F-46A2-8712-F736766E2CB8.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 953E234E-1C53-4AA4-B06C-D1B7C32386D2.jpeg
    953E234E-1C53-4AA4-B06C-D1B7C32386D2.jpeg
    825.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 57E441DF-0131-486D-A9C5-E5EC541813CB.jpeg
    57E441DF-0131-486D-A9C5-E5EC541813CB.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 9
Visit site
My spaniel has no interest in any type of toy, but loves shredding cardboard from the recyling,although Im beginning to worry that she hasnt done it lately!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I would suggest going through the Welsh corgi league rather than looking at anything listed for sale - even on the KC website. They’ve become overbred and exploited so a good breeder is key. They are also not an easy breed so you want one that’s come from a mating with a lot of thought behind it, temperament and ‘mindset’ is key within them. Some will be sharper than others, her sire was basically a labrador in corgi clothing / as was the dog we had planned to mate her too. She is sharp though, sharper than her siblings - and she doesn’t mind telling you off if she’s not happy about something. The success of them as a breed lately has painted them as these funny couch potatoes - they are still a stock dog, and you have to be firmer than even I expected from day one - they will rule the roost if given the chance. She behaves well for me but not so much for OH, or Mum who dogsits from time to time. There is quite a variation in type too even amongst good breeders, some breed them exceedingly long and low, others seem to breed them far too big. Gin came from ryslip but I’m not convinced they’ll have anymore litters anytime soon, perhaps even again. Haresfoot, Edmund and Richbourne corgi’s are, IMO, all very nice.

I too prefer the tri colours - mini German shepherds, in looks and temperament! They are cracking dogs though. I was really really set on taking a litter, everything was ready to go really - but they have such high figures of having quite serious problems that I am reluctant to risk her.

they are the loveliest of pups too. The one of all four was the first I saw, she was naughty even then.
Yes I do keep an eye on the Welsh corgi league website, plus a member of the corgi fb group. I’ve loved them since a young child and have noticed a huge increase in popularity recently. I imagine The Crown has something to do with that!

We’re hoping to get a small holding in the next 10 years or so once we’re done having babies so I just have to wait until then when we have the space (and time) to fully commit. Mabel bless her is intelligent but easily won over, I imagine stubborn corgis to need a bit more time commited to training the right way ?

P3LH

Visit site
Yes I do keep an eye on the Welsh corgi league website, plus a member of the corgi fb group. I’ve loved them since a young child and have noticed a huge increase in popularity recently. I imagine The Crown has something to do with that!

We’re hoping to get a small holding in the next 10 years or so once we’re done having babies so I just have to wait until then when we have the space (and time) to fully commit. Mabel bless her is intelligent but easily won over, I imagine stubborn corgis to need a bit more time commited to training the right way ?
Quick to learn - slow to obey. Food generally motivates but even then some are too clever (as she is) and figure out as much as they want the tasty morsel they don’t want to play ball, so will hold out.