Please tell me proposed BE rule is untrue???

MagicMelon

Visit site
Someone has told me that they believe next year BE will introduce a new rule stating all horses must be shod. Please tell me this is incorrect and isn't even in the pipeline?! Mine is unshod and I do not shoe until I get to a certain level BE, surely its up to personal choice and I think if this is true its awful of BE to bring in a rule with absolutely no research or proof behind any reasons for it.

kassieg

Visit site
Surely that can't be right! I'd never shoe unless necessary!

My 4 year old certainly won't be shod for her 4 year old classes !

Hoping this isnt true :(

Shay

Visit site
Its not in the current rules or the 2016 changes. Someone with not enough to do over the festive period starting rumors I suspect....

Edited... the BE rules I mean. I have no reason to doubt the poster above about SHB(GB)

philamena

Visit site
REply from BE: "The 2016 rule book is available from the quick links menu button. You dont need to read through the whole thing, there is a PDF containing details of the rule changes. Nothing about shoes as far as I can see."

ETA - link to rule changes. Inc clarification on the head / neck / shoulders / flag issue with run outs...
http://www.britisheventing.com/docu...mTitle=British+Eventing+Documents+to+Download

Last edited:

Gazen

Visit site
In affiliated working hunter classes the horses have to be shod. As the owner of two unshod horses who are each worked 5 times a week I find this an incomprehensible rule.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
In affiliated working hunter classes the horses have to be shod. As the owner of two unshod horses who are each worked 5 times a week I find this an incomprehensible rule.

I believe that the argument is that most people would require a show hunter which actually hunts to wear shoes, therefore a horse in a working hunter class must show that it can wear shoes. Even though I have hunted barefoot on many different horses, I can see the point, sort of. Though I'd buy one that can hunt barefoot over one that can't every time!

Sneedy

Visit site
I believe that the argument is that most people would require a show hunter which actually hunts to wear shoes, therefore a horse in a working hunter class must show that it can wear shoes. Even though I have hunted barefoot on many different horses, I can see the point, sort of. Though I'd buy one that can hunt barefoot over one that can't every time!

I seem to remember there being health and safety issues due to judges riding the horses.....risk of slipping??? The world has gone crazy ��

philamena

Visit site
I seem to remember there being health and safety issues due to judges riding the horses.....risk of slipping??? The world has gone crazy ��

Yes... which all sounded like the reason for the policy being made up retrospectively, on the hoof, forgive the pun... completely illogical!!

blackhor2e

Visit site
I doubt very much that rule could ever really be enforced unless you were perhaps at higher levels, and even then I don't think they should have jurisdiction to tell an owner or rider whether or not you should shoe your horse.

MagicMelon

Visit site
It caused a lot of upset at Blenheim a couple of years ago when horses were eliminated for it in a WH class...

Also caused problems at Blair in the WH Finals, a couple of horses were eliminated for only being shod in front - one of which had just jumped one of very few clear round - ridiculous rule.

Thank goodness so nothing from BE then, I do hope it isnt even being discussed about.

Zebedee

Visit site
I doubt very much that rule could ever really be enforced unless you were perhaps at higher levels, and even then I don't think they should have jurisdiction to tell an owner or rider whether or not you should shoe your horse.

They may not have jurisdiction to tell you whether or not to shoe your horse, but they do have the right to set rules as they see fit - it's then up to you whether or not you take part, in which case you'd need to comply in the same way that you do with the other rules.