Please Wear Your Helmet

kerilli

Visit site
hear hear.
poor girl. r.i.p.
bright enough to get into Harvard, not bright enough to wear a hat...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
A crying shame and another statistic.

I wear mine and I'm proud to, used to mess about when I was younger and bob on without a hat in the school if nipping on a friends horse etc or messing about trying a saddle and you can't be bothered to nip to the tack room or car to get your riding hat...I've see too many accidents and had too many bangs on the back of my head myself when I've had my hat on, so there is no way I'd ever get on anything without a hat.

finefeathers1

Visit site
Poor girl, but agree with comments above. Yes they screw up your hairstyle, make your head sweaty and are not particularly elegant, but they can save your life.

picolenicole

Visit site
I always have mine on don't care what anyone else thinks it's my head and I only have one!! When I see people riding without one I ask where it is and how they would live without their head if anything happend?! So upsetting.

JosieSmith

Visit site
It is very sad, but ultimately as lesson to us all

I know a friend who, many years ago, when she was about 13, fell off her pony with no hat on. She was messing about with her friend, two of them bareback on her pony, he spooked, they fell off, luckily one onto the sand surface of the school, the other hit her head on the fence, split her chin and had internal bleeding on her brain. She was hospitalised and made a full recovery but it scared her enough to always wear a hat since.

I never have and never would ride without a hat - I seem to hit my head everytime I come off
grin.gif
so wouldn't dare!

I'm sure MrsM will always argue the point for wearing a hat - her accident could have been much worse had she not had hers on.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
And she was on a "steady dependable horse", yet I was shot down in flames yesterday on here by a load of eventers who think it is perfectly safe to do their dressage tests in Patey hats, and they want to look elegant
frown.gif

It's when you are least expecting it that the worst happens, unfortunately
confused.gif

millyspaniel

Visit site
I had a pretty bad accident that made me very nervous about riding again.
We had an 16.3 exracer on loan, took him out one day, he reared up on a hill on a tarmac road and slipped over backwards, he just missed me. I split my hat down the middle and woke up seeing stars, very dodgy. The horse went back after that as i could not risk it happening again and he terrified me from then on. It wasnt out of fright that he went up, it was out of excitement.
God only knows what would have happened if i never wore my hat.
I ALWAYS wear mt hay and always make sure mt children do to.

katiex2

Visit site
I too had a very nasty fall about a year ago. I believe I was riding around a large field on my own!! I say 'I believe' as I lost two weeks memory and still now have no recollection of what actually happened. Horse was fine and I too was up and walking back with her when my friend came looking for me who I had phoned to come and rescue me. There was a massive dent in my hat and I just kept repeating myself!! Needless to say once my friend had got me home and I queried what on earth was going on with my garden the paramedic was called!! I had had landscape gardeners in for two weeks and had absolutely no idea!!

The long and short of it is - WEAR YOUR HAT!! The paramedic said I was very lucky and had I not been wearing one I probably wouldn't be sat here now waffling on at you lot!!!
wink.gif

jesterfaerie

Visit site
I will never not wear my hat no matter what horse I am on, I value my life too much not to wear it.
No matter how safe the horse is you just never know, even the worlds safest horse can trip or slip at the very least. A horse doesn't have to misbehave for a freak accident to happen which could possibly put a rider in hospital or sadly kill them.
It is such a shame that yet another life has been lost. What a waste.
frown.gif
RIP

GTs

Visit site
I just hate the no helmet culture - I have ridden my fair share of horses without one and am ashamed I did. It is important even though most riders will never be in a situation where they actually need one!