Pleasure Rides Somerset

autumn7

Visit site
Considering a move to Somerset next year but would like to be in easy reach of a number of pleasure rides throughout the year. Is there a local organisation that is dedicated to organising PRs in any region, as if so, that's where we shall begin house-hunting.

autumn7

Visit site
Thanks Ester. Where we are now (Norfolk/Suffolk I'm spoilt for choice. Around three PR's per month within a 20 mile radius to choose from for 8 months of the year, organised by Anglian Distance Riders, Hoofbeats, EGB plus a wealth of sponsored and charity rides.

I'm also open to suggestions of specific places to live for great hacking on the doorstep in either Devon or Cornwall. Looking for a network of endless quiet country lanes and bridleways straight from the door, no boxing up, type of thing. Plus an organisation that organises regular PR's in these regions would also be helpful. Anyone out there that can help?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yup that definitely doesn't happen in my bit of somerset, prob one a month in summer.

I wondered whether to add about hacking too, you need to choose carefully as often the areas you would presume to have good hacking (lots of rural devon for instance) really don't, you just get stuck on lanes with banks and high hedges either side and nowhere to go when a car comes.

Hopefully others will have other suggestions

(my move from somerset to wilts was amazing! compared to what I was used to.)

cowgirl16

Visit site
Agree with ester's comment about choosing carefully - I live in Somerset and the hacking is crap. Do your homework and go have a thorough look-see if something sounds good.

autumn7

Visit site
Thanks cowgirl. I do appreciate that it's getting harder and harder to find decent, safe hacking these days. Our small island's being ruined by development. Stick a pin in a map and you're never more than a mile or two from a ridiculously busy major road or built up area, or at least in England. Hacking from home opportunities where I currently live are becoming fewer by the year as our once rural village is growing out of all proportion. So sad, and it's happening everywhere. Actually, that's partly why I'm so keen on pleasure rides. I don't need to hack whilst constantly watching for traffic. I can relax and take in the scenery.