PN-N??

wallyevent

Visit site
Am I the only person wondering why BE don't do a PN-Novice class like they do IN and AI? Or have they ever considered it?
I would do them for sure and so would my friends, I think it might encourage a few more people to make the step up.

Any thoughts?

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
It would be a good idea as PN > N is the biggest step up both in height an dtechnicality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I think it is the biggest jump up - so it is strange they dont have somthing like that!

Although I love dress and XC so id love that technical an big and the SJing small!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I agree there is a big step but you are either ready for novice or you are not. With Int there is a big step in dressage as well as the SJ whereas with novice its only really the SJ.
I found the best way for novice was to do BSJA as newcomers is more technically difficult than BE so if you are jumping it confidentally then you will be fine BE.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Agree with Lec.. you only think there's a bigger step up from one level to the next when you're about to make it yourself.. i thought the step from Nov. to Int. was bigger, although now it seems fine, and i'm now thinking that the step from Int. to Adv. is huge!!!
It's all about being ready to take the plunge.. once you're done a couple of events at the new level, all seems fine again (or that's what i'm hoping for next season)

Tho having said all that.. i agree, it would be a good idea! as they have the IN, and the AI, so a PnN would fit in well!
smile.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Last year I was so windy would have been grateful if there was an intro-PN class! But I guess the amount of classes they could do would go on and on. I would be interested to know what the results were of the pre intro class whether they had a good take up?
You will have fun next year MDM with advanced dressage!!

Rambo

Visit site
I may be being a bit dumb here (only being a SJ'er an' all) but do you really mean a PnN or do you really mean a NPn
tongue.gif
I thought all the split classes (IN and AI) were tougher dressage and SJ, but x-c at the lower level
crazy.gif

Personally i'd be happy with an APre-Intro on that basis
grin.gif

kerilli

Visit site
umm, i don't really think the step up from PN to N is the biggest, tbh. i think the step up from Int to Adv is bigger. a decent very honest horse without any scope can pop round every Int (i should know, i had one just like that!) but Adv is truly that much bigger, they have to have some decent scope, or it's not fair on them or safe. just mho.

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
Agree with Lec.. you only think there's a bigger step up from one level to the next when you're about to make it yourself.. i thought the step from Nov. to Int. was bigger, although now it seems fine, and i'm now thinking that the step from Int. to Adv. is huge!!!
It's all about being ready to take the plunge.. once you're done a couple of events at the new level, all seems fine again (or that's what i'm hoping for next season)

Tho having said all that.. i agree, it would be a good idea! as they have the IN, and the AI, so a PnN would fit in well!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that once you have done a few events at that new level - you think what was I worrying about! It isnt that scary!

I was really quite nervous in my 1st Novice and felt like I was about to ride round Badminton or something!
grin.gif
But once I had done a couple it was like the norm!
grin.gif

applestroodle

Visit site
yes i think that would be a fab idea and im sure the classes would be flooded with entries, is that not what BE want, lots more money for them!! I am at novice level and thought the jump up was huge! Pre novice level you can get away a little more if your novice or inexperienced, I think with novice level there is not as much room for error so speaking from experience my very good honest scopey horse helps me out. Im sure there are lots of people out there whos horse has a limit but are very successful at pre novice who would like to try something a bit more challenging but maybe are not good enough for novice.

wallyevent

Visit site
I'm glad others feel the same, and yes, i am speaking as one who is contemplating the possibility of novice next season having PNed all this year and it does seem like a big jump up. I haven't done novice for four years now, due to lack of horse power, it seems so much bigger than it did when i was riding an advanced schoolmaster!

I think it would help my horse particularly as he went really green just going from intro to PN and I think this sort of class would help his confidence too, though i am planning a winter of SJ round 1.10 tracks to prepare!!

Maybe the same would need a tweak as NPN and PNN are both a bit of a mouthful!!

Bossanova

Visit site
I think it would be popular but I'm not sure it would serve that much purpose. The intermediate dressage test is quite unique- there's no level in BD where you get those specific movements whereas BE novice is pretty much the same as BD novice. The novice sj, again, is quite comparable to a BSJA 1.05-1.10 whereas intermediate is easier than a 1.20/fox class BSJA.
I suppose my point is that you can poractise for novice dressage and sj easier than you can for intermediate dr and sj!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
TBH having made the step up this year with neither horse or myself having done it before, if you do 1.10 BSJA over the winter, BE will be a piece of cake and you will wonder what you worried about! Just pick a venue that does intro-pn-novice rather than one that does novice-intermediate-advanced - I reckon that's the way to get the kinder SJ and XC tracks!

Acolyte

Visit site
Ah hah, gonna keep an eye on the replies for this one as I am in exactly the same position! IF I am brave enough to try novice I want it to be (a) quite straightforward and (b) about 2/3rds of the way through the season - not asking much really!

SpottedCat

Visit site
Hmm, a lot of the ones I'd recommend are a bit far from you - like you say Sapey and Broadway are brill, but they are about as far north as I go. Nutwell Court is a brilliant first time but nr exeter so too far I guess. I know - Monmouth - lots of alternatives and a nice venue, thought it was fab. That may be a bit late though I guess? I did PN right up till the end of Aug then upgraded in Sept, so Monmouth might suit? Sorry, not much help really!

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah hah, gonna keep an eye on the replies for this one as I am in exactly the same position! IF I am brave enough to try novice I want it to be (a) quite straightforward and (b) about 2/3rds of the way through the season - not asking much really!

[/ QUOTE ]

From you - Monmouth definitely. Lovely course with lots of alternatives that rides really well. Totally recommend it.

Acolyte

Visit site
But there was that horrible stud fence - the OK-looking element to the horrible narrow element! No, seriously, I shall use that as my aiming point for next season then - I'm going to just start the season with no expectations, do a few PNs and hopefully have fun, then see how my confidence goes
smile.gif
Thanks again - will have to come and say hello to you at an event some time!

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But there was that horrible stud fence - the OK-looking element to the horrible narrow element! No, seriously, I shall use that as my aiming point for next season then - I'm going to just start the season with no expectations, do a few PNs and hopefully have fun, then see how my confidence goes
smile.gif
Thanks again - will have to come and say hello to you at an event some time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah but it had an alternative for the second element - the train backwards! I did not jump that pimple, it looked far too much like the fence I fell off at at Goring! That's why Monmouth was so brill - the corner had an alternative (PN roll top backwards), the steps down to palisade on an angle were numbered seperately so you could circle (I did), the zig zag had one bit which was more forgiving (I took it), you only jumped one of the logs, the stud fence second element had an alternative and the trakhener had an alternative (which to me looked more scary than the direct route as it was the PN coffin!). Good luck with it, and I am sure I will see you at an event one day (if you see a lorry with a sign on it - and if you see it you will know exactly what I mean as it is not sponsorship or anything daft like that - then that is me and come and say hello!)

Acolyte

Visit site
Right, you have convinced me, Monmouth it is - I wouldn't care about time penalties etc so long as we had a fun time trying it! I am intrigued about the lorry sign now, I will be scanning the lorry parks at every event now
smile.gif

Thistle

Visit site
OK so you can practice at other disiplines, but as eventers why shound we fork out for BD and BSJA, you don't see the dressage queens affiliating BE and going out in the mud just to get an extra dressage test, so why is it considered the norm for us broke (no decent prize money at BE) EVENTERS TO AFFILIATE IN 3 DISIPLInes just so we can practice.

tigers_eye

Visit site
You have a point thistle... however I do not see the point in registering BD: if you take a Novice eventer they need to do an easy BD Novice test, and a 105/110 course. It is dead easy to find endless unaffiliated dressage competitions at good venues which use Novice tests, but bloody difficult to find any unaffiliated stuff over 100. So I'd rather spend my money on BSJA membership (or tickets) than BD...

wallyevent

Visit site
Thanks Spotted Cat, I'll cetainly bear Monmouth in mind, I'm not sure when I'll move up to Novice really, it depends how my boy starts next season and how many runs we can fit in around work, weather and ground conditions!! Oh and my lack of transport issue....! It may end up being more towards the end of the season so I will remember your advice!