Pneumonia

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
My mom's 11 year old Australian Shepherd was diagnosed with pneumonia on Thursday and her breathing seems to be getting slightly better but she isn't wanting to eat. The vet ran every test under the sun and besides the lungs she is a very healthy dog. Have any of you had a dog have pneumonia that doesn't want to eat, and if so, can you give me any tips to tempt her appetite? We have tried various different people foods that she usually likes but she will only eat a few mouthfuls before refusing anymore. My mom has talked to the vet but she has just been encouraged to keep trying different foods.

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
We have tried both; she seems to have difficulty swallowing, which is putting her off eating or drinking. The little bit of food she has eaten has mostly been from hand feeding so that is probably something we should continue doing.

I had pneumonia in my early twenties and remember not wanting to eat but I understood that not eating wasn't the best idea. Clover usually eats anything so having her refuse to eat is a new (and stressful!) experience.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Oscar had pneumonia a few years ago now. He hid it for ages, being a bouncy spaniel who had always been thin anyway (honestly the only thing I noticed was him pulling on the lead less... I thought I'd finally cracked training him! ?), then suddenly went downhill. He was quite run down with it but he didn't lose his appetite so can't advise on that from experience. Just to say he bounced back from it quickly once he had drugs. And I hope yours does the same. I also think soft food. Can you make a bone broth from bones from the butchers maybe?

We think Oscar developed it from a bout of kennel cough.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
It's possible her sense of smell has been affected, and dogs have very sensitive noses! Also possible that she has a really sore throat and eating is uncomfortable. Is there any chance of slipping a painkiller into the first few mouthfuls that she will eat, then try again an hour later? Foods with a stronger smell may be attractive - liver or sardines for instance, and minced up easy to swallow may help.

tiggipop

Visit site
my boy had mega oesophagus and had flare ups of aspiration pneumonia.... i found that raised feeding bowl and also soaking his kibble so that swallowing was easier helped. x x i also put a bit of slippery elm powder in his food as this is supposed to help.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Whatever you try feeding her, have you tried serving it warm, e.g. by adding warm water just before feeding? Warm food often both smell and taste more than food that is cold or have room temperature.

I sadly only have a negative experience of pneumonia and dogs. Years ago, it sadly turned out to be the beginning of the end for my late Smooth Collie.
But, hopefully it ends better with your dog. {{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
Thank you for all of your advice, we are taking it all into account. Sadly, Clover seems to be deteriorating and is very distressed, my mom has made the difficult decision to have her pts tomorrow if there is no improvement.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Thank you all. We are heartbroken, especially since it hasn't even been 4 months since we lost Willow.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your pretty girl. It's difficult enough when their time ends some years before you thought it would happen, but even worse when you lose two only months apart.
Judging by the photos Clover had a lovely life, and have given your mom and you love, and memories neither of you would want to be without.
{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}