Point two wearers advice please .

henmother

Visit site
Good morning . Do you wear a point two ? Can you see anything wrong with this photograph ? As always I wear my trusty air vest to protect the metalwork holding my knackered spine together .
I have taken a photograph of my jacket , this is what it looks like after a fall yesterday during xc training . Have I put the cannister in wrong ? I followed instructions on YouTube to change it . It's not something I have to do often enough to be confident that I'm doing right . Always best to safe rather than sorry, and my dad would knack me if I got hurt again. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    894.3 KB · Views: 71

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Where's the pull cord? Is this after it has gone off? Did it inflate?

Canister is fine but the pull cord needs resetting.

Gazen

Visit site
If you have a local supplier (tack shop) get them to reset it for you and show you how to do it. This is usually a free service.

henmother

Visit site
Lanyard is attached to the saddle . The jacket failed to inflate . I had a lot of people worried when I came off . I don't know why it didn't work and wondered if I'd put cartridge in wrong but I don't think that's possible ?
Going to speak to point two today , issue is , best can't be returned with the cartridge .

henmother

Visit site
If you have a local supplier (tack shop) get them to reset it for you and show you how to do it. This is usually a free service.

Ive had the ladies at my local horsey shop do this for me . They always tell me to bugger off , purely in jest I might add.

I've worn a point two almost daily since 2013 , I'm happy to change cartridge using the online instructions . I'm lucky in that I don't have to change it too often so brain always needs a bit of a refresher when it comes to change time.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
So the lanyard pulled off and it looks like the pin fired? It there a hole in the canister? If not then had the pin been reset since it last fired? Alternatively the canister isn’t screwed in correctly.

You may laugh but are you sure the cartridge if it is pierced had been replaced since last inflation? I was doing water awareness training for work which included jumping in a swimming pool with a life jacket on. We’d already done it once then had to change canisters. So I jumped in with a pair of waders on and nothing happened. Somehow I don’t know how but I must have picked up a spent cartridge and put it in instead of a new one. Luckily the air in the waders kept me afloat.

ycbm

Visit site
Lanyard is attached to the saddle . The jacket failed to inflate . I had a lot of people worried when I came off . I don't know why it didn't work and wondered if I'd put cartridge in wrong but I don't think that's possible ?
Going to speak to point two today , issue is , best can't be returned with the cartridge .

Is it a P2 cartridge? Excuse me asking but I've seen people use ones designed for paintball guns which have a thicker seal and don't puncture to inflate the jacket. Are you sure the spring was inside when you set the trigger? Did you screw the cap up as hard as it will go on the spring, right home?

I think you need to return it to P2 to ask why it didn't fire. If you contact them they will almost certainly send a courier who will take it with the gas cartridge still in it.

I hope you weren't hurt!

ycbm

Visit site
You may laugh but are you sure the cartridge if it is pierced had been replaced since last inflation? I was doing water awareness training for work which included jumping in a swimming pool with a life jacket on. We’d already done it once then had to change canisters. So I jumped in with a pair of waders on and nothing happened. Somehow I don’t know how but I must have picked up a spent cartridge and put it in instead of a new one. Luckily the air in the waders kept me afloat.

I'm not laughing. I have done this with a P2, just forgot to put a new one in after a hunting fall. Luckily my next fall was a soft arena and I was completely relaxed because I knew the air jacket would go off!

asmp

Visit site
I'm not laughing. I have done this with a P2, just forgot to put a new one in after a hunting fall. Luckily my next fall was a soft arena and I was completely relaxed because I knew the air jacket would go off!

Or be like my friend - went XC training with her and she came off when horse over jumped. Air jacket didn't inflate because she had forgotten to attach it!

henmother

Visit site
So the lanyard pulled off and it looks like the pin fired? It there a hole in the canister? If not then had the pin been reset since it last fired? Alternatively the canister isn’t screwed in correctly.

Yes , I have a strict rule of putting the used cartridge in the bin before I get the new one . I was worried about exactly the scenario you describe so I don't get a fresh cartridge until used one is binned.

The cord pulled but I don't think the mechanism pierced the cartridge , that's the only thing I can think of . Unless of course it's user error and I've somehow put it in incorrectly . I'm a bit wary of taking cartridge off incase it goes bang . I always return jacket without the cartridges , when it gets sent for service as I thought Royal mail would destroy parcel with the cartridge in place .

henmother

Visit site
Or be like my friend - went XC training with her and she came off when horse over jumped. Air jacket didn't inflate because she had forgotten to attach it!

Lanyard still attached to saddle . Before I leave whoever I'm with will say , "clipped on," before anyone sets hoof off yard . It's ingrained into my brain to clip on.

Hope your friend was ok , bet she felt like a bit of a ninny.

henmother

Visit site
Is it a P2 cartridge? Excuse me asking but I've seen people use ones designed for paintball guns which have a thicker seal and don't puncture to inflate the jacket. Are you sure the spring was inside when you set the trigger? Did you screw the cap up as hard as it will go on the spring, right home?

I think you need to return it to P2 to ask why it didn't fire. If you contact them they will almost certainly send a courier who will take it with the gas cartridge still in it.

Used Allen key to make sure it was secure , I wonder if I could have over tightened it ?

I hope you weren't hurt!

It is definitely a p2 cartridge . It will have been purchased direct from P2 or from my local tack shop .

I've emailed P2 with photographs to ask for advice . I did chat with someone on the online chat facility but when I asked for advice she went off line .

Thankfully I sort of flopped off horse , you know the slow motion type off fall . I realised I'd passed the point of no return and was hoping my horse wouldn't bolt when the jacket went off . He's heard it before and wasn't worried but in an open field when he's a super excited turbo cob , eek ! Thankfully I just winded myself and hurt neck , and horse stood stock still wondering why I was on the floor . I think a few people had hearts in mouths as they're aware of my injuries .

ycbm

Visit site
If you want to take the cartridge out and are afraid of it going off, point the round end to one side and the trigger end to the other, depending on whether you're right or left handed. Don't hold onto either side too tight and be prepared to have the jet of CO2 blow it out of your hands. From my knowledge of how they are put together, nothing will happen, but at least if it does you won't get hurt. Don't do it with a ming vase or the cat in the way either 😄

My bet at the moment is that your air bag is split, and the gas went off and went straight out of the hole. The hammer could be bent/broken and have failed to pierce. If neither of those then I think it must have been wrongly set.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
If you want to take the cartridge out and are afraid of it going off, point the round end to one side and the trigger end to the other, depending on whether you're right or left handed. Don't hold onto either side too tight and be prepared to have the jet of CO2 blow it out of your hands. From my knowledge of how they are put together, nothing will happen, but at least if it does you won't get hurt. Don't do it with a ming vase or the cat in the way either 😄

My bet at the moment is that your air bag is split, and the gas went off and went straight out of the hole. The hammer could be bent/broken and have failed to pierce. If neither of those then I think it must have been wrongly set.

On the airbag note do you know where you can get an old point 2 serviced now? I really don’t want to buy a new one but mines well overdue and as I understand it Point 2 don’t do it anymore.

dixie

Visit site
You need to unscrew it and see if the canisters been pierced or not. If not, you might not have screwed it in far enough.
I think I have in the past also put in an old canister too !

ycbm

Visit site
On the airbag note do you know where you can get an old point 2 serviced now? I really don’t want to buy a new one but mines well overdue and as I understand it Point 2 don’t do it anymore.

You could try Helite, I believe that they made the original P2s, and still have screw canisters on theirs.

ycbm

Visit site
You need to unscrew it and see if the canisters been pierced or not. If not, you might not have screwed it in far enough.
I think I have in the past also put in an old canister too !

They are bayonet fixing now Dixie, it isn't possible not to screw them in, they're either in, or they're not.

henmother

Visit site

Thankyou Ycbm . I will follow your instructions if P2 want the cartridge out of the vest . I will lock myself in a room and hopefully won't have a controlled explosion .

I have no complaints with P2 on the whole , they've always serviced my vests quickly and returned them looking as good as new . No doubt they'll get to the bottom of it . User error is preferable to a fault ! Just thankful no screws come loose ( apart from the ones I know about haha) and no rods got snapped in my back.

henmother

Visit site

They were doing an upgrade scheme , if you trade your old vest in . Got my hunter style vest with a decent reduction . Might be worth seeing if they'd are still offering the trade ins.

dixie

Visit site
They are bayonet fixing now Dixie, it isn't possible not to screw them in, they're either in, or they're not.
Oh ok. That’s a better design then. My Helite is still a screw in, so I’m not always 100% sure it’s all the way in.

ycbm

Visit site
Oh ok. That’s a better design then. My Helite is still a screw in, so I’m not always 100% sure it’s all the way in.

I honestly think they only did it to get around the Helite design when they split off. I wouldn't say one was better than the other. Although the bayonet is a more positive fixing, it adds a collar of plastic which is a second point of failure. I think it's swings and roundabouts, I've had both.

I forgot the trade-in, it's what I did as well! £200 for a brand new vest if they still offer it.

henmother

Visit site
Just wanted to give a little update . Point two received my best for examination and on the same day , tested it. They went through a rigorous test of the jacket . Everything performed as it should , which was a huge relief . What wasn't a relief was the fact that I had replaced my cartridge with the spent one..I would have happily wagered my house that I had changed the cartridge . I've managed to throw away an unused cannister - I hope that didn't explode down the road somewhere ! I don't even know how I've managed to make such a massive mistake. Anyway , as a result of this I have decided that I will never replace the cartridge again. That I'll take it to my local shop , clearly I cannot be trusted with my own safety ! I've attached an image of the cartridges , mine , and new one . This image will be ingrained in my brain as a reminder . Safety first !!!

ycbm

Visit site
Il bet you feel a right plonker 🤣. Just like i did when I hit the floor and realised I'd forgotten to replace mine at all. We can't be trusted, can we?

henmother

Visit site
Plonker is an understatement , I was calling myself a cotton headed ninny for sure. I can't be left alone !! No idea how I've managed to do that , will leave it to the girls in local shop to change in future.