Poldark - tack experts

KrujaaLass

Visit site
I think the house is not in Cornwall. Anyone know where I can catch up on episode where they got married.As I must have fallen asleep as I missed that bit

Deseado

Visit site
Getting historical tack right is one of my day jobs; Poldark is set in the late 18thc and the story continues over about 30 years into the early 19c or Regency period. Saddles were starting to assume their modern form and had lost the high cantle and pommel of the Baroque saddle by this stage. They were like old fashioned, straight cut hunting saddles or polo saddles. The bridle was either a curb or double bridle, fairly plain - again like a hunting bridle, with or without a noseband. Martingales were rare but not unknown, and breastplates would have been around too.

The tack used in the series is "OK", bit hit and miss. There are some dressage saddles in there (not a million miles out of place in general shape), some UPS (Universal Pattern Saddle; later British Cavalry issue - not correct as they are about 1880's). The bridles are OK-ish too, mostly variations on a curb.

The actors mostly ride like actors do; not terribly well. At least nobody has said "Hyah!" yet.......

Orangehorse

Visit site
I didn't think Ross was doing too badly at riding, at least they don't keep cutting to an extra, so he is presumably cantering around the corner into his house. I noticed Uncle was trying to get up onto a dressage saddle!

Someone I know took their American SaddleSeat saddle into a local saddler to have work done, and he complemented them on their lovely old fasioned saddle. The saddleseat are very close contact and the rider sits further back and the flaps are pretty straight. That is quite similar to the serge-lined,narrow saddles that I can remember from my youth!

Bernster

Visit site
Getting historical tack right is one of my day jobs; Poldark is set in the late 18thc and the story continues over about 30 years into the early 19c or Regency period. Saddles were starting to assume their modern form and had lost the high cantle and pommel of the Baroque saddle by this stage. They were like old fashioned, straight cut hunting saddles or polo saddles. The bridle was either a curb or double bridle, fairly plain - again like a hunting bridle, with or without a noseband. Martingales were rare but not unknown, and breastplates would have been around too.

The tack used in the series is "OK", bit hit and miss. There are some dressage saddles in there (not a million miles out of place in general shape), some UPS (Universal Pattern Saddle; later British Cavalry issue - not correct as they are about 1880's). The bridles are OK-ish too, mostly variations on a curb.

The actors mostly ride like actors do; not terribly well. At least nobody has said "Hyah!" yet.......

I love that hho includes folk who know interesting stuff like this!

vickyb

Visit site
I think the house is not in Cornwall. Anyone know where I can catch up on episode where they got married.As I must have fallen asleep as I missed that bit

The house is Chavenage, which is in Tetbury, Glos. It amuses me to see him galloping along a cliff, then into the house drive. In reality the locations are around 200 miles apart. Ah, the wonders of television.
I don't think I would like to gallop near a cliff edge - too many opportunities for a spook or slip and a fall from a great height.

ruth83

Visit site
According to one interview I have read, Seamus quite enjoys filming and they had to find an alternative word for 'Action' as Seamus began to interpret it as 'gallop'!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
According to one interview I have read, Seamus quite enjoys filming and they had to find an alternative word for 'Action' as Seamus began to interpret it as 'gallop'!

Haha! :D :D Brilliant!

Is it bad that I find the image of clueless actors discovering a horse's back door amusing??

Rollin

Visit site
You shameless lot. A whole feature this morning on Woman's hour, Radio Four, we ladies who lust are undoing the years of good work to ban Page Three as it 'objectifies' women.

Carry On!!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
The house is Chavenage, which is in Tetbury, Glos. It amuses me to see him galloping along a cliff, then into the house drive. In reality the locations are around 200 miles apart. Ah, the wonders of television.
I don't think I would like to gallop near a cliff edge - too many opportunities for a spook or slip and a fall from a great height.

Yep and whenever they go to town it's Corsham in Wiltshire... last time I checked definitely no sea view ;)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

I knew it was familiar! I used to exercise past it most days when doing hunters!

fatpiggy

Visit site
Yep and whenever they go to town it's Corsham in Wiltshire... last time I checked definitely no sea view ;)[/QUOTE

Corsham seems to be the default location for just about everything. I can understand they couldn't use Truro but they could have at least found streets with Georgian properties as it was mining that made Truro the important place it was and the buildings reflect this. And as for the "big houses" well they just aren't made of granite!!!! Cotswold and oolitic limestone is totally different, and again the archtitecture is wrong. There are plenty of large granite country houses in Cornwall, I can't believe they couldn't use any of them.]

Cowpony

Visit site
That's really interesting FP, but for some reason when I'm watching the programme I just can't seem to focus my eyes on the architecture. Just don't know what it is that's distracting me...... :D

DanceswithCows

Visit site
I've seen one ep (2nd one?) and spotted a trick riding saddle! aiden doodah does nothing for me so I am mostly tackspotting :p I know the peeps who provided the horses and don't blame them for things like this, it would cost an absolute FORTUNE to have every horse on the team kitted out in period correct gear for every period! Horse comfort and something that doesn't look completely out of place is good enough for me :D

Double_choc_lab

Visit site

Just to clarify Trenoweth is Chavenage House. Don't know where Nampara is. Likewise I always imagine him galloping 200 miles each time he visits his family.