Pole / jump ideas

Annagain

Visit site
We've started a 'jump club' once a week at my yard. We all get together to put jumps out and take it in turns to ride in small groups while the others do the putting up and down. We take it in turns to choose the layout. We have quite wide range of abilities and types - from people who want to make everything just about fun and set up all sorts of interesting (almost handy pony!) obstacles to people (like me!) who like set exercises to work on specific things. It's my turn next week.

Does anybody have any (or know where I could find) ideas for a set up that could suit all or be fairly easily adapted to suit all please? We do (sometimes raised) poles and jumps - often, but not always, together - so extra points for things that work as polework and jumping exercises. I've looked at Equestrian Pole Club on Facebook and while I'd love those exercises, I think those who would prefer a more unstructured approach would find them a bit boring. We only have a 20x40m, about 10 poles and a few fillers (mostly big so not suitable for all) so nothing too complicated! I can remember some lessons I've had with brilliant pole exercises that would work so well for this sort of thing but can't remember the layout! I'll have to take photos next time.

Casey76

Visit site
I’m far from a jumping expert (I’m terrified, so don’t unless it’s really necessary - and no higher than 40cm).

But working on things like striding between two bars. E.g. mark the striding for 5 strides, then work on getting 4, 5, 6 or even 7 strides.

4 bars dividing a 20m circle into quarters can be used in so many different ways, and can also be used with x-poles/cavaletti.

2 parallel bars can mark a gait change or halt - really useful for both progressive and direct transitions.

Mark out a simple course and work on your lines - use cones or bars as direction or pace changers - great for practicing accuracy, and will often be enjoyed even my the most timid of jumpers - because there are other things to concentrate on.

Tarragon

Visit site
I once had a group jumping lesson where they had 4 jumps set up as a cross in the middle of the school, and he got 4 of us all jump a jump, circle and present at the next jump and so on, at the same time. I cannot remember the exact details as it was a few years ago, but it was fun!

Annagain

Visit site
Or what about a jumping lane? ride without reins or stirrups or both?
Jeez, I am nervous enough at the moment with reins, stirrups, and a neck strap, That's a definite no from me :D. Maybe when I've relocated my jumping mojo in a few months.

IrishMilo

Visit site
I like setting up different jump types, too. Skinnies, DIY arrowheads, dog legs, wide spreads, double cross poles etc. The jump set up below would never even have occurred to me had my instructor not put it up (small pic but it's a cross pole, vertical, cross pole - great for making you make sure your canter is big enough!)

rsz_screenshot_2021-07-08_at_50739_pm.jpg

DiNozzo

Visit site
3 jumps set out in a Y shape over the centre/quarter/3 quarter line.

Jump down over the centre and have someone call out left/right over the next one. Can then continue round over the one on the other quarter line, and either practise curved lines/dog legs or jump the centre line on an angle.

Could probably do stride counting too.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I love the 4 small jumps on a circle. I do it a few times letting pony find her own rhythm/feet and then I try and collect for more strides or push for less. I start off all 4 on the ground then gradually add each one in.

I also like keeping them as crosses as it helps with my accuracy on turns to aim for the middle still as I do have a tendency to be a bit lazy with my accuracy.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id probably go against the grain a little and try XC type / accuracy exercises like a corner (easy to do with 3 blocks and 2 poles), a skinny jump or a single barrel if you have one. Perhaps a double of skinnies. Id make a pretend ditch under a straight bar (tarpolin or a brightly coloured horse rug folded up into a ditch type shape then a pole either side along the length to hold it down). A triple bar but fan type. That sort of thing, just different jumps from your usual as a bit of a challenge.