Police bike out of order? - WDYT?

Sandstone1

Visit site
I agree with the above, I dont think I would be happy to be in a que of traffic held up by two horses who could have pulled over to let taffic past.

_GG_

Visit site
I have watched this thread with interest. Whilst on the first hand, I can absolutely see why you were so annoyed OP...I think the police have more important things to do than have to deal with complaints of this nature.

We have a few riders around here that will just carry on regardless and let the traffic sort itself out but that is neither safe nor responsible.

I may not agree with how this police officer did it, but I can't in all honesty say that he was wrong to do it. He made a judgement for the good of everyone.

fburton

Visit site
The traffic cop told the OP to move over so following traffic could pass as in his judgement it was the correct and safe thing to do. You do what the police tell you to do. That is stated in the Highway Code.
I'm sure that's right. It's also entirely possible that the policeman's judgement was faulty and he made a mistake - police sometimes do make mistakes because they're only human (as are all professionals). Perhaps a complaint is justified - I don't know. If what Penny wrote originally is true, it would be for how the policeman spoke to her - whether he was impolite in commanding the riders off the road - and not for any consequence of his actions which was apparently, as you say, a perfectly safe resolution of the traffic buildup.

The Highway Code requires all road users to be considerate to others. If OP feels the policeman wasn't, by all means complain. The response (if any) might also give a clue as to why he thought the situation was an emergency, which didn't seem to be by OP's description. However, we don't know all the facts. Perhaps the tailback had created an collision hazard at the tail end. That doesn't seem like an emergency either, but who knows! (I haven't checked, but I don't remember reading in the Highway Code any definition of what comprises an emergency. Not that I would expect that from a document that is more a set of guidelines than a legal document!)

I can equally envisage the situation where riders, seeing that one or more vehicles are following behind at low speed, routinely moved on to an empty pavement at a bend in a village road and were chastised by a policeman for doing so on the grounds that it wasn't for access or emergency.

pennyturner

Visit site
I agree with the above, I dont think I would be happy to be in a que of traffic held up by two horses who could have pulled over to let taffic past.

I'd like to make it clear that we ALWAYS move over to let traffic pass. So often in fact that my children will all shout "car behind" and go into an automatic 'musical ride' style co-ordinated turn into any available side-road, pavement or verge when we're on a single lane. We also time our trots etc for minimum inconvenience to others. My carriage horses pull into passing places without being told, as they're so used to letting people past!

However, this was a wide, two lane road. We were already single file, as a courtesy to traffic, when I would have been quite justified in riding 'protectively' alongside my daughter. Traffic could easily have passed, but they could see that for the sake of a few moments, they could choose to pass wide. i.e. they were driving correctly.

I have no problem with riding on the pavement when the situation requires it (and when there are no pedestrians). In this case it didn't. We had a right to be on the road, and were not causing an obstruction. He was being an arse.

Patterdale

Visit site
I suppose I am the odd one out because I don't believe the OP has anything to complain about!

The traffic cop told the OP to move over so following traffic could pass as in his judgement it was the correct and safe thing to do. You do what the police tell you to do. That is stated in the Highway Code.

On this occasion, you carried out the policeman's instructions, your child and horses were safe, and the tail back was allowed to proceed without any further hold ups.

What is there to complain about? A trained professional did his job as he is trained and paid to do to resolve what could have caused an accident. He is the professional, the OP is not.

The OP failed to observe the Highway Code which requires all road users to be considerate to others. Going onto the pavement is permitted for access and emergencies. The police officer clearly judged this situation to be an emergency and took action to resolve the issue.

I am afraid I don't see the problem. Were you trotting to get round the corner or just walking?
If you were just walking I would be a bit peeved if I was behind you to be honest.
If trotting then fair enough but I still don't see the problem. If anything, he did you a favour by giving you the ok to go on the pavement.

Totally agree!!

I couldn't believe this thread reading through it. I think it highlights just how much some horsey women like to complain and get uppity about petty things.

Patterdale

Visit site
I suppose I am the odd one out because I don't believe the OP has anything to complain about!

On this occasion, you carried out the policeman's instructions, your child and horses were safe, and the tail back was allowed to proceed without any further hold ups.

What is there to complain about? A trained professional did his job as he is trained and paid to do to resolve what could have caused an accident. He is the professional, the OP is not.

The OP failed to observe the Highway Code which requires all road users to be considerate to others. Going onto the pavement is permitted for access and emergencies. The police officer clearly judged this situation to be an emergency and took action to resolve the issue.

I am afraid I don't see the problem. Were you trotting to get round the corner or just walking?
If you were just walking I would be a bit peeved if I was behind you to be honest.
If trotting then fair enough but I still don't see the problem. If anything, he did you a favour by giving you the ok to go on the pavement.

Totally agree!!

I couldn't believe this thread reading through it. I think it highlights just how much some horsey women like to complain and get uppity about petty things.

pennyturner

Visit site
Totally agree!!

So you think it's OK for a motorbike to pull right alongside a small child on a pony?

The only one breaking the highway code here was HIM. I don't expect much from the police - but I do expect to go about my lawful business without being harassed.

conkers

Visit site
I agree with Fburton. Its not that the police officer requested the rider to move over, more the way he did it.

How many of us, truthfully, would be happy for a loud motorbike to pull in next to a young rider that we were babysitting and start barking orders at us? Regardless of how traffic proof our horses are.

All this officer needed to do was to speak politely to the OP, ask if she knew that there was a build up of traffic and recommend that she pull over onto the pavement for a few moments to allow it to pass. Job done.
Instead, he was rude and sped off without even confirming that his order was followed.

OP. Complain. We all have to ride on increasingly busy roads so this could happen to any of us and I am surprised that some posters seem to think that it is an acceptable way for a police officer to behave.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I have to say, I'd just have moved onto the pavement as the police officer instructed, waited for all the traffic to pass, and then continued on with my ride without a second thought. If I felt he was abrupt with me, then perhaps I'd have a mutter to myself, cheeky sod, but I wouldn't be going to the police station to complain and I wouldn't have made a thread about it here. But that's me and that's what makes this forum so colourful I guess.

guido16

Visit site
So you think it's OK for a motorbike to pull right alongside a small child on a pony?

The only one breaking the highway code here was HIM. I don't expect much from the police - but I do expect to go about my lawful business without being harassed.

Surely you should not be on such a road if you don't think the pony could cope with a motorbike going passed or stopping.
How exactly was he breaking the highway code?

jenniaddams

Visit site
I can't see how he could possibly have given his request to you WITHOUT 'pulling up beside a child'. If he only stayed as long as it took him to ask you to move onto the pavement it would have been a few seconds and then he would be off again...he was quite probably judging the situation as he went...he saw the horses not reacting and pulled up beside you.
If you had been trotting on to get past the obstacles then I could see you being miffed...but if you were just walking along with a queue of waiting traffic behind you, I can see why he made the move.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I would not have expected a child to be on the roads on a pony that was not ok with motorbikes unless they had someone on foot ready to grab the pony if a motorbike approached.

If the policeman was rude it was probably because he was annoyed you didnt use common sense to pull over and let traffic pass.

He was doing his job to be honest!

We moan traffic does not slow down etc to pass us but we need to show common sense and good manners on the road too!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
OP has already explained the traffic had perfectly enough room to pass as it was a two lane road. They were choosing to wait as the road widened just further ahead. There is absolutely no reason in that scenario for her to need to break the law by moving onto the pavement. And no need if an officer asks her to do so for him to have spoken to her in the manner he apparently did.

fburton

Visit site
OP has already explained the traffic had perfectly enough room to pass as it was a two lane road. They were choosing to wait as the road widened just further ahead. There is absolutely no reason in that scenario for her to need to break the law by moving onto the pavement. And no need if an officer asks her to do so for him to have spoken to her in the manner he apparently did.
Ok, but does it warrant an official (i.e. logged) complaint either at the station or in writing? Think of all the paperwork that would entail. As _GG_ says, the police have more important things to do with their time. A quiet word with the cop next time he's passing would probably suffice, but only if you're sure that wouldn't be inflammatory.

pennyturner

Visit site
A handful of cars for 20 yards doesn't really count as a 'build-up' does it? On this road, farther along there is on-street parking reducing the road to one-way, and hence it's normal to have to wait.

We regularly get held up, mounted, behind motor vehicles waiting for oncoming traffic. Whitchurch is (thank goodness) a live-and-let-live kind of town, so his attitude was out of place. There were push bikes all over the roads that day - presumably they were 'holding up traffic' too.

I'd have understood if there'd been an ambulance trying to get through - but then we'd have heard it and been out of the way before they even saw us.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think OP would right to log a complaint the traffic could have passed it chose not to , no reason at all to order a mother and child to stand somewhere they should not .

Lizzie66

Visit site

What she actually said was that she and her daughter had just gone past a line of cars parked on the opposite side of the road and were about to go round a bend. So a line of traffic had built up because they couldn't safely get round earlier as the road was effectively single file due to parked cars and they couldn't get round safely currently because of the bend.

OP should have pulled into a gateway to allow traffic pass or trotted on until there was somewhere to allow traffic to safely pass.

The Police Officer probably wouldn't have been able to see the child until he was almost level, once level he obviously realised the childs pony was not frightened by the bike and proceeded to advise OP to take the horses to oneside to let the traffic past.

If he was trying to keep his time alongside to a minimum I imagine it was easier for him to just tell her what action he expected rather than get into a lengthy debate about the why and wherefores. He probably did have to raise his voice to be heard over the bike. If the pony or horse had appeared alarmed by his bike he would probably have pulled ahead, switched off and waited to speak to them.

Frustrated car drivers are more likely to try and pass when it is unsafe if horse riders don't show some basic courtesy. This would then have been more likely to result in an accident. I am always quick to slow down for horses and am happy to wait as long as you can see that the riders are making an effort to let you past as safely and quickly as possible. If they continue to dawdle in walk then then I do grumble about road manners.

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
OP should have pulled into a gateway to allow traffic pass or trotted on until there was somewhere to allow traffic to safely pass.

You see, everything else aside sometimes it is just no possible to trot on! Some bits of road are downhill, or are that horrid shiny tarmac that you just know your horse will slip on. ATM my horse is doing rehab walk work, normally I pull over/trot on to make life easier for cars but atm I can't/won't trot on. If them having to wait 30 seconds is going to ruin their day then they need to get a grip. Trust me, I literally cannot wait to trot, and have to stop myself from doing it but the rehab (again!) has been such a long road that I am not spoiling it to save someone 30 seconds, call me selfish, but its the truth! :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I never ever trot in built up areas too many variables it's simply not sensible .
I wouls probally have halted to let the cars past if I felt it was safe.

pennyturner

Visit site
If I'd been riding a push bike, would he have asked me to get off the road, I wonder?

We had been trotting quite a bit through town (past the single lane parked cars where we can't help but block the road). However, how much trotting is it reasonable to expect a young child (or an old pony) to do without dropping down to walk for a while?

For what it's worth, I would say we were walking out fairly briskly at that point - definitely not 'dawdling'.

pennyturner

Visit site
find it a bit strange that if road was wide enough and clear traffic didnt pass?

You know how it is; some blast past you asap, nearly taking the pony's hocks out from under you. Others like to wait patiently behind until they can give you a full lane to yourself. I guess the guy at the front was one of those.
As 20yds farther on there's half a mile visibility he was right to wait.

twiggy2

Visit site

the child is on a pony on a 2 lane road I expect the motorbike not to be an issue,

the horse/ponies are single file, the child is young and riding on the road, you as the responsible adult need to make sure the situation is as safe as can be, if you feel a motorbike is likely to be an issue when on the road with this combination of pony and rider then they should not be on the road.

if you feel they are a safe combination I don't understand the problem

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Just had a vision of robo-dohnut cop zooming alongside an old dear on a mobility scooter and telling her to get off the road.

For the few seconds the OP and daughter were slowing down traffic, it just seems a little OTT. Would he have done the same to a parent and young child on bicycles ?

I'm sure OP would pull over if it was appropriate or necessary to do so without being told.

For me, the main issue is pulling a motorbike up to a child on a pony and riding alongside whilst giving orders. If he wasn't wearing a uniform, he'd be classed as an idiot. Breathtakingly dangerous.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I can see your point OP, he was perhaps a bit abrupt, but other than that, I would just grumble to myself about it rather than going as far as to report. He could have been on his way to something more serious and not had time to explain more. Also reporting "pointless?" things like this just takes up police time when they could be doing other things.

There is nothing at all wrong with a police officer on a bike pulling alongside a child - if that child is deemed safe enough by her parents to be on the road at all.

I agree that sometimes traffic has to wait, you can't always trot and there isn't always a gateway. In those cases, if traffic is building up and seems irritated, common sense sometimes has to kick in.

Yesterday I got onto a pavement myself (without police intervention!) because there was a 4x4 with a trailer full of cattle clanking behind us, nowhere to get out of the way, and traffic queueing behind him and coming the other way. I decided it would be safer and easier all round to let him go past (and just prayed horse didn't poop!).

doonrocket

Visit site
No one likes being told what to do.

A clear instruction given from a professional person who understands the road better than most.

Probably lacks people skills a bit though, as he has opted for a job where he works alone for much of the time!

What would you complain about? That he didn't start with a please Ma'am?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Its good to know that so many people have bombproof horses that can deal with a motorbike pulling up beside them before accelerating away.
I think my horses would be ok with that but its not something I'd like to test out on a child rider.

Makes a change though, usually hacking threads are full of people trying to avoid riding on bin collection day, when there's a bike race or on routes with barking dogs, cows or flapping washing lines.

Just wondering what else a young child on a pony should be expected to cope with ?