POLITE Hi-Vis - Your Opinions?

Visit site
Just wanted to see everyones opinions on them. I was thinking of getting one as i've been told they are good at making drivers think when passing the horse, etc. But when reading online as if it also angers a lot of drivers? Should i get one or just avoid them?

emfen1305

Visit site
I have a POLITE tabard - can't say I notice difference between wearing that one and wearing my plain one in terms of how people drive nor has anyone ever commented on it/got angry. Though I ride a 15hh weird looking spotty cob thing and I am usually donning bright coloured socks if i can't be bothered with my chaps so I don't suspect they would even consider us as part of the mounted division even if I had all of the gear!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Don't like them, don't like the company. Did they ever do anything about the claims that the polite branding covers too much of the fluo material to be truly classed as "hi vis"?

Griffin

Visit site
I prefer V-bandz's combi bright range.
Me too, it's so eye-catching!

Personally, I wouldn't wear the polite stuff because I dislike the company and I don't think it does much for driver/rider relations. I find a combination of colours works better.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
A number of years ago I went to the company's stand at Olympia. I've never come across a more grumpy and unhelpful bunch and ended up walking away as it felt as if they were doing me a huge favour just by talking to me.
Maybe it shouldn't have influenced me but it did and I haven't bought anything from them since.
I will need to replace my hi-vis jacket soon and won't be looking at any of their products.

whiteflower

Visit site
I wouldn't buy the polite range, to me people aren't stupid enough to think you are police and I don't think it makes any difference other than to annoy some people. I think bright colours have a much better effect than a tabbard with a large dark area with a word a driver probably can't even read on it.
I need a new hi Vis jacket and keep being tempted by the cd ones but then remind myself of the jacket I order that the zip broke instantly and was rubbish quality. I buy from vbandz after that incident, take a long time for them to get to you but great quality when I arrives and lasts forever, I have some leg wraps that look like new after about 15 years of use !

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Yes, I've had a set of leg wraps for about 10 years and will probably go for the V-Bandz four seasons jacket as it looks really good. I'm tempted to go for orange rather than yellow - any views on this?

Our local tack shop seems to stock mainly the 'Charlotte Dujardin' ones...I'm not sure how having such an endorsement would help to sell a hi-viz jacket? And they are not cheap! But clearly, someone is buying them...

tashcat

Visit site
I have one and love it - the zip up the front (rather than a tabard style) and zip pockets are so handy.

I also have the helmet band in the same blue reflective, and some flashing bands which I loop onto the breastplate. I don't like the riding sheet though, so have a mark todd one instead.

I've got a 16'1 grey tb and quite a few people have asked about it, and genuinely thought we were local community police. I think its effective from a distance, and never had any problems with the brand (albeit through ignorance perhaps).

At the end of the day any hi-vis is better than none!

Nasicus

Visit site
I've been given an old tabard one, needs a couple of stitches but other than that in good order. But to be honest, not sure I'm going to wear it, the whole 'imitating police' thing really narks a lot of people off, and to be honest it's probably less eye catching than the eye-blindingly bright orange zip-up hi-viz I got off ebay for about £5.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Actually, its orange that stands out the most, well thats what works research says and why thats the colour worn on the railways

I was told that orange is the one thats seen first in low light hence the railway workers. Lollipop technicians ;) are fitted out with long coats with orange, yellow and pink on up here at least.

a lot depends on the environment at the time-around here I think pink or even red really stands out because its a lot of moorland thats quite dark and a dirty yellow colour right now. can't bring myself to wear pink though so wear a mix of yellow and orange.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I personally hate the Polite stuff as I think its ridiculous. It's such a clumsy attempt to fool other road users into making you look like a police officer and I also can't stand looking at the tiny "notice" under "polite". That said, as someone else commented, any hi viz is better than none. However in its defence I will say that the tabard itself is rather nicely fitted. I just hate the Polite/police thing.

Suechoccy

Visit site
I like the Polite stuff except for the word Polite so when I buy a Polite tabard, the first thing I do is cut up an old plain hi-viz tabard for the grey reflective stripe, sew a strip of it over the word "Polite" and "notice" then I take a thick black permanent marker pen and write THANK YOU in big letters on my new reflective strip.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I just wear a long sleeved Hi-Viz jacket which makes it easier for other road users to see my hand signals. You cxan buy them from dickies who are on line.

I have one too, I even cut my own vent up the back but not terribly practical in summer! Which is why I bought both the polite and v-bandz ones as they have zip pockets for phone etc which the cheaper vest versions don't and the two tone yellow/orange is really good for visibility in sun/fog etc.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I don't like them as they are impersonating a police officer and passive aggressive.

Would agree with this. The company will defend themselves vigourously by saying that they "consulted" the Police ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) Traffic Committee whilst they were developing the product; but they're not good at actually coming up with the evidence that this occurred or the discussions that would have ensued. My first job was working for a police traffic dept as a typist, and I cannot see ANY police officer, police traffic division, or any senior officer in fact, condoning the use of apparel that might appear, or suggest, that the wearer was in fact a police officer.

There is an offence of "impersonating a police officer", and whilst there is still some uncertainty about this range of equipment, I for one, as an ex-police employee, would avoid it like the plague. A friend of mine went out riding in the full kit one day, and someone said to her "oh I didn't realise the police had a mounted branch in this area". That just said it all, for me, and disconcerts me very much. Obviously there is ONE rider in the UK who HAS been mistaken for a police officer whilst wearing this kit! Friend got rid of hers after that incident.

I don't think it's clever, I don't think it's smart, or even necessary, to have to have kit that in any way suggests, even to the tiniest degree, by using clever wording or however it is achieved, that there is any "police" connection. IMO that can only wind up motorists, who will not be impressed once they realise they've been "had"'; and if it DOES offend the police proper, isn't that a good reason to avoid?

Naturally the company will say the police are OK with it! They're selling a product! Of course that's what they'll say!

No, I appreciate that the wording doesn't say "Police" it says "Polite", which is admittedly a clever ploy on words, by changing just the one vowel, but it is at best clumsy and ill-conceived. Perhaps "Polite notice, Slow Please" would be better?? Certainly there would be less risk of a sting-in-the-tail from the motorist's point of view as it would be clear, simple, and courteous, and not trying to play clever tricks with people.

Last edited:

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I have a Polite their zip up tabards, but only tend to wear it in the summer as it's child sized so doesn't work with winter layers 😂

I'm another that likes the v-Bandz combi range. At this time of year I use either my pink Rockfish Rider coat or Kartimor pink high viz running gilet. Horse wears V-Bandz yellow and pink leg wraps, pink neck strap and combi-brite exercise sheet.

I like Karrimor running stuff too - I have high viz long sleeved & short sleeved tops & they are really effective too :)

Last edited:

GirlFriday

Visit site
Legal or not the intention is clearly to mislead other road users and I find that really off.

Re: Orange on railways - it usually means that those in orange have got their 'track clearance' that allows them to work on lines. It isn't necessarily about it being the 'best' colour.

Having said that, in summer, riding through fields of rape in bright light for example you'd possibly want a non-yellow option!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Ive got the zip up tabard and I have to say, of the various bits of hi viz I use, this is the most effective, on one particular stretch of road. We have a loop of road from our yard that goes in a circle, through a village and back around. There is one section of about 1 mile where there is no speed limit and attracts its fair share of boy racers and those who live locally, and frankly should know how best to drive on country roads. I have found that when they catch sight of the tabard, they do a double take, by which time they have slowed down and generally stay slowed down, even when they realise I am not a police officer. I totally agree, that in principal, they may cause anger from a motorist made to feel stupid, and one should not impersonate a police officer but equally, that little moment in time when the speeding driver catches his breath and thinks, s""t, better go slow, is just enough to make them remember the rules around horses. That for me, is the reason I wear it, but only on this route. I did once wear it by mistake (forgot to take anything else) around our local forest route and a lady came up to me and asked if I could help her find her way back to the car park and did we often bring our horses here! It was only after I sent her on her way I realised she thought I was a policeman :) It helps that my horse, although only 14.2 is built like the back of a bus and does look as if he could be a police horse (to the uninitiated). So mixed reviews from me. I have found it quite effective on the road I use, but have a bit of an issue with them per se.

eggs

Visit site
Some years ago a friend who was in the Met police gave me some old police high viz jackets and was very explicit that the word "police" would have to be unpicked from the jackets before we could ride out in them. I do think the 'Polite' range is pushing their luck.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Daughter and I were riding in residential area in our polite gear and we saw a lad waving a machete about. I mentioned it to a chap there and he said “well you deal with it . You are the police” ah ah