Polite Notice Hi-Viz

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I wear hi viz all the time and after a few recent very close shaves, my mum invested in one of these for my 22nd birthday. First I wore it riding my friend's 16.2hh chestnut mare (in sig) and found the results astonishing - people slowed right down, even stopped, one woman even put her phone down as she clocked us! I also wore it riding the same horse and with someone else walking with a different horse (my 14.2hh bay part loan mare, also in sig) and got the same reaction.
I will definitely be buying the leg bands and hat band!
K x

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Yup :D

It works very well :D. I wear a black Mountain Horse body armour jacket underneath, dark leather gloves, dark breeches, and ride a 16.3hh DWB :D. Though I do think the horse's odd urge to go backwards every now and then might be spoiling the look! :eek::rolleyes::D

I got the hat bands, but keep forgetting to put them on our hats.

I think the leg bands are meant to go round boots? Either that or I got the wrong size, according to D1...

Was going to get the tabbard for D1, but she likes her 'Mardy Mare' one (so apt :D).

Achinghips

Visit site
You buggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just made me spend £89 on ebay.:D

Got the Polite tabbard, the leg wraps, the hat band and the summer exercise sheet:D:D

Justification: You can't pay a high enough price for safety - esp when you have a spooky Tb:)

DougalJ

Visit site

Got the Polite tabbard, the leg wraps, the hat band and the summer exercise sheet:D:D

Justification: You can't pay a high enough price for safety - esp when you have a spooky Tb:)

ooh sorry about that- but I think you will find that will be £89 well spent. I'm staggered at the results of wearing mine! At least I entertained and put the children in order at the kids party when I rode past......

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
i have the tabard and use other lg wraps on a dark bay 16.1 warmblood and we have had a few stops.
One car went past nice and slowly then stopped, i thought he weanted directions but he was taking a double check on us then told me how he thought my hi viz said police....at least i know it works.

Most cars have definitely been slower and more courteous, with a few being a bit too cautious and hanging back for far too long which sometimes i find as dangerous but at least the speeding seems to have stopped quite a bit.

ticobay831

Visit site
Ive had one for a couple of months now and i must admit they do make a differnence.
I guy in a big white van really slowed down last weekend and stuck his head out the window to get a proper look im sure he thought i was the mounted police on patrol...:)

I would highly reccomend them x

Elbie

Visit site
I've just purchased the hat band. Was a bit disappointed that it doesn't look very bright!

Was debating whether to get that or one of the flurescent pink shiny hat bands. Was a toss up between having a bright ring around my hat or people thinking i'm police :)

NOISYGIRL

Visit site

pixiebee

Visit site
It's not a shameless plug! LOl Actually I didn't buy mine from the website quoted, just trying to find a link so people could see it......I got mine off Ebay! Do you do the exercise sheet too?
Have you an equine shopping website?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280734723348?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
if you look at my other listings, I have the polite jacket and other stuff. I am in the process of updating my online shop but yes I do the whole polite range, there is a price list of what i have on my fb account, you can pm me for more info if you like.

pixiebee

Visit site

£89-wow, going to upset you but I could have got you that set for £65 quid!

Waffles

Visit site
I have stuck L plates on my Hi Viz tabards. Most people slow down as they realise I am dealing with a youngster. Lots of people at my yard have those Polite Notice tabards and say people slow down. I get quite a few comments about my L plates from drivers "I like the L plates!!" they shout.

Hippona

Visit site
I wear the tabard...I think it makes a massive difference.

Could possibly pass for the rozzers on my grey lad....but didn't think daughters small fat highland could possibly be mistaken for the law until this weekend.....heard a small child shout 'Mummy! a horse!'. Mummy obviously needed a visit to specsaver as she replied...'Yes....its a police horse':D

TheEquineOak

Visit site
You all need to find your local police auction!!!!!

I have all the kit for my horse, the sheets, leg wraps ect and the full riding set. Waterproof trousers and hi viz hat band for rider. I got my mounted police jacket off eBay. I picked all of it up for peanuts.

You have to ensure you remove 'POLICE' from everywhere (although they usually do this before selling) but it is completely legal.

Motorists slow right down. It's awful to think we have to take this approach to get a bit of respect on the roads :(

Persephone

Visit site
I am going to get the whole Copper outfit for waling my youngster out.

She is just teetering over 16hh so may get away with it!

I wonder if I could get "Neeeenaaar it's the sound of the Police" as a ring tone or something?

ossy

Visit site
Yip I recently got the waistcoat, hat band and martingal strap and I notice a big difference with the way cars approach us. Both me and my hacking buddy have the same outfit set so it adds to the illusion. We have seen some weird thigns since starting to wear them.
We had a couple of young guys in a subaru come towards us then do a U turn before reaching us and going back in the other direction. We had a couple who were out taking pictures of a house on one of the back lanes and when they saw us coming jumped in the car and scooted off.
I love them!

Puddock

Visit site
They do work to influence motorists, but I think you need to consider the area you ride out in. I've got an ex-police bomber jacket and the whole shebang for my tank of a horse, so we are quite convincing. I recently wore it all while hacking in a field that runs along the M9 for quite some distance, though. Some idiot boy racers shot past and decided that as their speed wasn't frightening the "police horse", their best option would be to blast the horn as they passed us. *******w*ts. Happily, the big donkey looked mildly bemused at the noise and quickly returned to what he does best, mooching along without a care in the world. This gave me ample opportunity to immediately drop both reins and make some very innappropriate hand gestures.

Hippona

Visit site
Ha!....

Was a small car full of young lads heading towards me at great speed the other week......you know the sort, exhaust pipe the size of your head......he did slow down fractionally when he saw me, but when I actually pointed
at him he braked down to the actual speed limit and went past whilst adopting the law-abding-citizen expression:D:D

Did amuse me greatly.....

DougalJ

Visit site

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I bought the tabard a couple of months ago and wear it whilst hacking my 16.2hh bay RID mare, she looks the typical Police horse type. We get far more cars slowing down now than before in a standard hi vis tabard. Perhaps a speed gun may help even better!!!!

DougalJ

Visit site
Ha!....

Was a small car full of young lads heading towards me at great speed the other week......you know the sort, exhaust pipe the size of your head......he did slow down fractionally when he saw me, but when I actually pointed
at him he braked down to the actual speed limit and went past whilst adopting the law-abding-citizen expression:D:D

Did amuse me greatly.....

Brilliant! My teenage sons think I am a complete nutter going out with my "Police" tabard on!

Suechoccy

Visit site
My hacking garb has always included black jods and boots (cos I don't do clean) so with the Polite tabard and hatband, I find whether I'm on the horse (tall) or the pushbike (cycling to and from the horsefield), the motorists are all very good at slowing down for us.

Very noticeable on the pushbike (a mountainbike so I'm sitting upright) that oncoming motorists see me and drop their mobile phones into their footwells, put their seatbelts on and/or glance down at their speedometers as they drive through the village.

Can work against you too though. I got lost hacking out in the fens the other month and needed to ask someone the way. There was a pickup truck in the distance with a bloke, 2 boys and some scrambler motorbikes doing offroading so I made for them to ask the way. Soon as they saw me they stopped and started loading the bikes back into the pickup. I called out that I wasn't police and they didn't need to worry, and then they relaxed and we had a laugh, and I asked them which way was X and they pointed me in the right direction.

Then riding round some local bridleways, a dogwalker came up and said "What are you doing here?'

Thinking that he meant why was I riding my horse on the bridleway and assuming he thought it was a footpath, I said "riding my horse, like I've been doing for the last 10 years here cos it's a bridleway not a footpath"

and he said "no. I mean what are YOU doing here? Why are the police riding round here?"

So I told him to read the tabard more carefully and we had a laugh.

Many locals have told me they like the tabard because the impression it gives is that there's extra police patrols in offroad areas so it helps discourage rural crime.

Brandy

Visit site
Mine says CAUTION YOUNG HORSE IN TRAINING - very effective. 2 days ago though, a right knobber of a bike went past doing about 80mph on a country road. Horse (Tb) went ballistic and span - My hand gestures were so extreme to tha @rseh@les back my middle finger came through my glove - think the polite noitice one would have been better for him :mad:

I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience but this really made me LOL!! Very descriptive!

Brandy

Visit site
I am thinking of getting one of these, but not sure my 13.2 welsh C fits the description of a police horse very well. Is this good enough reason to get a 16hh bay?

jinglejoys

Visit site
I bought the tabard a couple of months ago and wear it whilst hacking my 16.2hh bay RID mare, she looks the typical Police horse type. We get far more cars slowing down now than before in a standard hi vis tabard. Perhaps a speed gun may help even better!!!!

Mules have already done that! :D

MVC-003FSpeedcopmule.jpg