POLL: Lunging Gadgets

Waxing. What do you wax?

• Total voters

Tia

Visit site
Okay been reading some of the posts where some people obviously prefer one gadget to another when lunging - so thought I would do a poll to find out what is the most used lunging gadget on this forum.

ann-jen

Visit site
I've put no gadgets but I lunge with 2 lines passing through either a loop on the side of the roller or through the stirrups if saddled up.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
SIDE REINS!!! AAAARGGHH.........................

i suppose some idiot will admit to useing them!!!!!!!
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

7 so far JM
tongue.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! Now I've used a Pessoa I've chucked my side-reins away!

samp

Visit site
I like the pessoa however I have found it falls apart quite easily and not brilliantly made! Otherwise 2 reins to send lazy horse forward and get them working behind. If they do not accept contact then side reins and if want in a longer lower position - chambon

fairhill

Visit site
confused.gif
Why are side-reins hated so much? I've got a pair, from years ago, but I don't use them on my ned as I only lunge to encourage her to move forwards, and found they restricted her too much... Are they useful for anything (except burning)?

poggio

Visit site
I generally use a Pessoa but depends on the horse and what needs working on etc.. also like using a bungee, they're quite useful if the horse goes well in it.

Visit site
would love to use a Pessoa - idea looks much sounder than side reins (yes, i have a pair...) but they are soo00 expensive. However as winter nears and the light goes I can see me needing to lunge more - on the Christmas list methinks!

hussar

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
would love to use a Pessoa - idea looks much sounder than side reins (yes, i have a pair...) but they are soo00 expensive. However as winter nears and the light goes I can see me needing to lunge more - on the Christmas list methinks!

[/ QUOTE ]

My 'pessoa' is actually a lookalike - a Topflyte copy made of webbing rather than rope - works just as well. Got it off ebay for £30.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it's the second favourite gadget so far.....

Yes, I voted them. Does that make me an idiot?

UKa

community.webshots.com
I could use someone's pessoa at old yard but actually found long reining works almost better for my girl - now that I have no access to pessoa anymore I will convert to using my two lunge lines not sure if they are "gadgets" though...

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use them, don't use any other gadget when lunging, can see the use of a Passoa for some horses, but never yet used one myself. Think it's massivley over-used.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I voted Pessoa as that is what I mostly use nowadays, but have used side reins for years previously and my horse has gone nicely in them. Have also lunged with two reins, but find the Pessoa is better for encouraging my horse to go forward. Also lunge with nothing but a headcollar on occasion.

Bungees I hate! Just encourage a horse to bounce off the contact all the time and every horse I seen lunged or ridden in one has had a very inconsistent head carriage (of course this may have been a case of blaming the tools when the workmen were actually at fault, but its been enough to put me off!!)

[ QUOTE ]
Think it's massivley over-used.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just maybe the Pessoa is "over-used!" because it is good! Why else is it the only gadget that many professional body workers and vets recommend! Like anything it can be mis-used, but unfortunately there are always going to be cases like.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just maybe the Pessoa is "over-used!" because it is good! Why else is it the only gadget that many professional body workers and vets recommend! Like anything it can be mis-used, but unfortunately there are always going to be cases like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it gets used a lot instead of riding, problem is engagement and contact is a 2-way thing between horse and rider. How many times I see horses working very nicely in the Pessoa yet no where near as well with the rider. Most often because the rider does not have the strength and depth in their seat and balance and is really the weakest link. So not really dissing the gadget, just the fact that I feel IMHO that it is often used too much! Of course a well balanced horse will help a rider more, but it just does not replace the 'feel' you need when riding.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Most of the time I don't use any gadgets but I do like to use two reins and alternative from long reining to lunging and back again.

I have used a bungee on my WB which was recommended by my vet to get her to work long and low and she went very well in this.

Am considering a pessola for Chancer when he is older - anyone know at what age you can use one?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i dont know..does it??
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

An idiot I certainly am not. Side reins are an age old thing, much prefer to stick with what i know and use it properly than try something new and get it wrong.

Skhosu

Visit site
You didn't have alungee bungee option.. so I ticked no gadgets, but that's the one I use! it gives, is easily made very loose and can attach anywhere, plus allows them to stretch!