POLL: Lunging Gadgets

Waxing. What do you wax?

• Total voters

Parkranger

Visit site
Personally unless you have a youngster or can't physically ride, I don't see the benefits of lunging.....nothing better than getting on top to sort out the problems!

I'd always longrein over lunge now aswell and I'm not 100% about Pessoa's but will give one a go one day to see for myself.....

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! Well I had to vote the last one even though I don't lunge - but I wanted to see the results of the poll.

Long-reining and free schooling is my game.

Tia

Visit site
Right.......I have to ask a question here......perhaps I am totally stupid but HOW can you lunge in draw reins??? I have never in my life heard of anyone lunging in draw reins
crazy.gif

Doublethyme

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I find it gets used a lot instead of riding, problem is engagement and contact is a 2-way thing between horse and rider. How many times I see horses working very nicely in the Pessoa yet no where near as well with the rider. Most often because the rider does not have the strength and depth in their seat and balance and is really the weakest link. So not really dissing the gadget, just the fact that I feel IMHO that it is often used too much! Of course a well balanced horse will help a rider more, but it just does not replace the 'feel' you need when riding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation, now there I do agree with you absolutely. To my mind the Pessoa is a good gadget for what it is, but as you say is not a replacement for good riding.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Im not being stupid here, i know plenty of professional riders that do the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Tia is accusing you of being stupid, but just can't get her head round how it's possible... I can't either
blush.gif
Don't you need a rider holding the draw reins, or do you attach them to the saddle?

lilpete

Visit site
Put the draw reins on as you would normally,then taket the normal reins from the bridle, and the draw reins and and put them under the stirrup leathers? Does that make sense? then knot both sets of reins at the length you want. I dont think iv really explained it this very well!

Tia

Visit site
Like a bungee rein? But with tonnes of extra rein hanging about? How do you keep the reins even? And how do you stop one becoming hung up - surely the horse could become seriously unbalanced with uneven pressure?

PS. No I didn't imply you were stupid....if you read my reply it quite clearly doesn't suggest you are.
smile.gif
I just cannot see how this can be safe or at the least useful?