poll...saddle or bridle on first

Do you think cheating is:

• Total voters

spooks

Visit site
had a debate down at the yard ths evening as to whether you should put the saddle on first or the bridle.. i always put the bridle on first as thats the way i was told and also have seen far to many horses that have got loose go charging round a showground wearing a saddle.

Helena88

Visit site
if the horse is loose in a stable (i really dont often tack up like this, always take them out if possible) then bridle... if tied up or in cross-ties (99% of the time) then saddle.

pixie

Visit site
It depends..
If I'm tacking up in a field then I'd put on the bridle first. If the horse is in a stable then it can occupy itself with a haynet whilst saddle is put on first. I guess it also depends on the horse.

Ginn

Visit site
Usually always saddle, then get myself ready, then bridle so I can get straight on without having to put headcollar back on over bridle, sort out reins etc but if I have a martingale to deal with to I do myself, then bridle, then saddle.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Depends, if loose in stable then bridle then saddle, as I've always been taught. However if he's tied up outside, then saddle then sort myself out, then bridle. Although saying that I can leave him stood tacked up and not tied and he won't move an inch. Yet the cheeky monkey unties himself randomly and decides the barn is more appealing (where the hay is!)

Tia

Visit site
Always the saddle. My horses are always tied up when tacking up so saddles go on first and then when I am ready and finished fuffing around, the bridle then goes on. Obviously if I am riding bareback I do not do this............
grin.gif

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Saddle first to allow the muscles to relax before tightening the girth gradually, then bridle. I tend to make sure I am ready to get on so as the horse does not get too fidgety but this depends on what horse I am riding. I also remove the bridle first, then the saddle after loosening the girth for a while.
regards
Dawn

piaffe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Usually always saddle, then get myself ready, then bridle so I can get straight on without having to put headcollar back on over bridle, sort out reins etc but if I have a martingale to deal with to I do myself, then bridle, then saddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what i do!
grin.gif

so03

Visit site
I have to put the saddle on my old girl first, do up the girth on the lowest hole and wait. Have to allow her to walk before doing girth up more. She's very fussy. So it's habit now to put the saddle on first.

Also I have a Bates Caprelli with Cair for my boy and my saddler told me that the air bags are made of thick plastic. The warmer the plastic is the more flexible/soft it will be. So during winter I'll put saddle on first to allow it to warm up.

Luckily my two are very well behaved. But you are quite right in what you said.

celia

Visit site
I put saddle on first so can adjust the girth more gradually - usually horse is tied up outside but when in stable I still do saddle first as gives me time to get hat, gloves etc and he's quite happy to munch on his hay until I'm ready then it's bridle on and off we go.
grin.gif

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
I couldn't vote as my answer is depends...

If the horse has a martingale or breastplate with martingale attachment, then I would put the bridle on first, otherwise I would put the saddle on first.

I never leave a horse tacked up and I don't tie them up once they are tacked up.

Mooch

photobucket.com
If I am tacking up with a synthetic saddle, I always put it on first to allow the horses heat to warm it up and take a better shape.

If not, I always put the bridle on first.

teapot

Visit site
Depends what tack horse has, which horse I'm tacking up and how much time I've got.

Old share pony - I used to put bridle on first as he had a martingale & breastplate

Posuer would be saddle then bridle because he was a total loon to stand in the yard once his saddle was on - knew that he was going to play. So would put saddle on, then get myself ready then bridle then jump on

KatB

Visit site
Always saddle, as if my horse has a martingale, its attached to a breastplate, so the always goes on , then sadle, then bridle finally. Never done it other way as dont like bridles with headcollars on without twisting reins which is a faff, and hate headcollars around necks as if they pull away, too easy to break necks. Just how i've always been taught!!

Helena88

Visit site
see with my breastplate/martingale. i could put the breastplate on with the saddle... then clip on the martingale attachment so that i didn't have to take it off the reins each time.

Rambo

Visit site
Bridle first...you have some control over you horse then. Also, mine wear martingales so i'd be forever undoing the girth otherwise.

pottamus

Visit site
Saddle first as I like to take my time doing the girth up, so it goes on and then the bridle and then I can tighten the girth a bit more etc... But I tack up in his stable so don't have to worry about him wandering off anywhere!