POLL: Where are all the foals going?

What do you think you are?

• Total voters

Tia

Visit site
There seems to be a number of us who have bred their mares for a spring foal. I'm just wondering what prompted you to put your mare in foal and what you plan to do with the foal. How many of us are keeping their foals and how many are planning to sell either at weaning or at a later point in the future.

_daisy_

Visit site
I put Ebi in foal as shell will probably never be ridden again, but as she is still active thought she would be a good mother. She also has the qualities i wouldve been looking for to replace her to compete with. Willow is definitely staying with me - no way will she be sold. Once Ebi has gone she will still be there to remind me everyday of Ebi

peapod

Visit site
We had three foals born this year - 2 fillies and one colt. We always intended to keep the fillies to breed on from ourselves - but the colt is for sale. Normally we only have at most one foal - however, we have an excellent stallion, and the breed is on the Critical rare breeds list, so we decided to expand, and try to produce good quality stock!! We also bought in a mare with foal at foot - the foal from her is also for sale, as we have no use for him.

peapod

Visit site
Because he's not good enough to be a stallion. Yes, the breed is on the critical rare breeds list, but personally, we'd like to slowly produce quality ponies, rather than just breed from crap colts. Does that make sense? It's a difficult balance, because the breed on the whole needs a big boost - but there's just no point in keeping colts entire, just to carry on the breed, if they aren't good enough examples of that breed!

Weezy

Visit site
Yes that makes TOTAL sense, I was just curious
laugh.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
Didn't answer poll, as we don't know yet! This years foal is a stunning colt. Fabulous pony breeding on his sires side, & equally good throughbred breeding on the dams. Several people have commented on his potential as a stallion, but if we do decide he should stay entire there's no way we can keep him ourselves. Of course if we do sell him there's no guarantee that the new owners would keep him entire, which would then defeat the object of selling him!
The other side of the coin is that we would dearly like to keep him & show him in hand next year, & as we've never mastered the art of selling the homebreds I guess he'll stay!
(Damn, better go & answer the poll!)

Zebedee

Visit site
Foal is by a young stallion called Fairground Attraction of Coswarth, who is by Diptford Star Attraction. He is out of a mare who is by Saunter, & also has Mins Baby in her immediate ancestry.
The foals grand-dam on the sires side was herself by Piran Benedict, who was sold to the continent, re-named Brllant (yes, spelling is correct!) & became the leading european pony dressage sire.

Tia

Visit site
Goodness I hadn't realised there were less than 300 Dales ponies left
shocked.gif
!! Does that mean in the whole world? Or just in the UK?

Zebedee

Visit site
He's only been available to a very limited number of mares, & I believe that will be the case for at least another year

Zebedee

Visit site
Hasn't there been some problem with the immune systems of a lot of Dales foals, which in turn has led to the decimation of the breed?

peapod

Visit site
Ah have you been looking them up?! I'm not sure there's that few actually - I think that must be in the UK. As far as I know there are only around 100 breeding mares though - eek!

peapod

Visit site
Nope, I think you're thinking of Fell Foal Syndrome perhaps? That was responsible for the deaths of a LOT of fell foals - I think they've NEARLY got it "extinct" though!