Poll

Do you wear jodhpurs that are...

• Total voters

parsley

Visit site
I think that the lack of response from my previous post has told me the answer - but I would like to just check with a poll........

miller

Visit site
No - not interested in driving and also under the (may be incorrect) impression that driving horses work from their forehand so hard to engage under saddle - please correct me if I am wrong folks
confused.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Yes a driving horse has to use his/her shoulder, but this does not mean you then end up with a horse that is on the forehand when ridden! Unless of course the rider does not know what their legs & seat are for. As mentioned in previous post we have 5 at our yard which are ride & drives. They all go XC, they all compete SJ & Dressage with good results. In years gone by it was rare for a horse not to be able to do both.

Hanz

Visit site
Im not interested in driving but they used to be a really popular choice a few years ago, they may still be now but im just not looking in the right places!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Ok to prove that driving is not for the old & infirm below is the grp pic which includes my daughters friend who is 13yrs odl

junior_camp2006Sasha.jpg

And info taken from the site, remembering that all societies are there to promote themselves; But I dont think they would get the sponsorship if the demand was not there. It is a growing sport which is shown by the growing entries at the shows.

Clinics are open to all Young Drivers/Junior Whips, whether or not they are members of the BHDTA, BDS or Affiliated Clubs. Students do not even have to have their own turnouts because the 'Buddy' system has proved very successful.
These Training Sessions are affordable to all due to the very generous Sponsorship of the BHDTA, Baileys Horse Feeds and The Worshipful Company of Saddlers.

The Clinics suit all standards of Drivers - from beginners through to seasoned competitors, with ages from 8 - 18.

The BHDTA Junior Clinics officially began in 1993 with some very well known names attending: Anna Grayston, David Matthews and Mark Winder amongst them. We have all come a long way in twelve years and there are now some 90 names on our register.

The “Juniors” at that clinic have now become Trainers and in fact the next generation are emerging to join them. Ben Grose started teaching at the Summer Camp at Forest Farm in 2005 and had very good reports from everyone. To cite other achievements, Chris Ainscough proved his abilities by taking 6th place in a very competitive Open Single Horse Class at the National Championships. Nicole Peche drove an immaculate clear round of cones to complete one of the only three clears all day at the National Championships. There were many others I could name, but I found myself very proud of everyone’s achievements.

All the Young Drivers Training Clinics are made possible by the generous sponsorship from Baileys Horse Feeds and the Worshipful Company of Saddlers. In addition, the BHDTA Supporters helped to sponsor the Junior Championships. We are very grateful for their continued support.

In an ideal world, we would like to arrange clinics all together, but due to the fact that the school holidays vary from region to region and the costs make travel very difficult, the committee has tried to arrange spring clinics north and south.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Other- buy a horse that rides and then break it to drive. Done that with both of my guys. Cheaper than to buy a ride and drive as well.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I have never been to interested in driving,I love watching a local guy drive his, it really is such an amazing sport, but I personally would find a ride/drive no benefit as it is something I wold never take up
smile.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
i put maybe, as whilst ive never done it before i think it could be quite fun, and if your having a i can be arsed to ride day, chuck there cart on and drive them to the pub, this way they get exercise and you get to have a pint in normal clothes! lol.
So yes if it had been driven regularly and they maybe had a cart to sell with it, id be interested!
smile.gif