Pollen allergy/ head shaking/ nasal irritation

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Any recommendations? My horse gets pretty bad with it. This is only our second summer together. Last year was pretty horrible to the point he leaps trying to swipe his face with his front legs 😳 alongside constant shaking snorting and rubbing etc.
This year has been easier. I’ve been using nostril vet which has helped tremendously imo
However he’s still pretty antsy and irritated at times.
So far I notice weather makes little difference. He may be or may not be good or bad in bright sun, wind or rain, there’s not a pattern there.
Certain places are better or worse but other than the really obvious I can’t see what or why. Eg he’s a lot calmer in residential areas than country roads.
Today we have been through open cropped fields and he stayed happy. Along a tree and grass field lined road was the worst (so I guess grass/tree pollen is the culprit)
Sadly it’s unavoidable.
Antihistamines don’t help, I did try something last year called Shakease which didn’t help.
He HATES a nosenet unfortunately.
Any suggestions would be gratefully tried

AWinter

Visit site
I have used Trinity consultants with really good results on breathing/pollen issues but I also have a friend who had a pretty horrendous headshaker who also had success. Definitely worth giving Simon a call.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Hayfever and allergy wipes £1 a pack

Hayfever and allergy balm think it was £2

Rub round the inside of nostrils to catch the pollen
I second this, my mare seems to have developed seasonal allergies. This year has been particularly bad and I unfortunately missed the window in which to start managing it before it turned into an upper respiratory issue. 😢

This resulted in coughing, gunk from her nose which has involved 2x vet visits, Ventapulmin and a Steriod Injection.

She is on 20 Antihistamines a day currently, I wipe her eyes and nostrils with the Hayfever and Allergy wipes and then rub the balm round her nostrils to catch the pollen. I have found Nostrilvet to be abit useless and the Balm much better.

Fortunately my mare will tolerate a nose net for riding and a fly mask with nose for the field.

alsxx

Visit site
Hi OP, my 5 year old appears to be a headshaker which first became apparent earlier this year. I'm currently working with the vets and exploring different options, there is a Facebook group which might be worth joining for ideas.

One thing I've tried that seems to help is the addition of a dollop of salt into the diet, something I saw recommended and since its so cheap I gave it a go not expecting anything but its made a big difference. I also managed to pick up a second hand quantum bridle which he definitely prefers; mine has trigeminal nerve sensitivity, and at one point you could not touch his face.

I've seen magnesium recommended, and some people have had success with metazone. Not tried myself since the salt has apparently helped him virtually stop headshaking.

Follysmum

Visit site
One year one of mine started to head Shake a lot. It was awful and it was constant . Vet came and wanted to give him steroids. We put it down to the rape which was in the next field.

I used some pollen x from global herbs, rubbed his nostrils in Vaseline , my vet thought I was wasting my
Money but agreed to try before steroids.
It was amazing and after a week the head shaking stopped.

exracehorse

Visit site
Last year I used nose vet. 40 antihistamine a day split into two feeds. Vaseline in nostrils. Dust and wheat fields were fine. Rape fine. But cow parsley. And the pea pods. And conker blossoms set her off. Stopping. Rubbing nose. Curling top lip. Generally unhappy. This year I’ve changed my approach. Scrap all of above. I’m feeding local honey in her feeds. Lots. Giving lots and lots of oily herbs .. Rosemary, thyme. Basil. Oregano. Spearmint. Plus Tumeric. Salt and pepper. And yes , she will still rub her nose about 15 times in two hour ride. But it used to be 15 times in first ten minutes.