polo pony to happy hacker

merlin12

Visit site
I have just got a polo pony he is 16 and I intend to hack him. Has any one here retrained a polo pony or got any experience of helping them adjust to a new life style.My pony has been playing all season and is quite fit but underweight, he is settling in well. He is argentinian and branded on his rump does anyone know anything about these brands.

mutley75

Visit site
The branding if numbers will be age and mares number. The symbol will be who bred him. A lot of argentine horses are only broken to ride with one hand and panic if you try and ride them with spread reins and put them in a shape. Also remember he will probably only know walk canter gallop. Polo ponies very rarely trot under saddle.

Equinus

Visit site
Once you get the hang of them they are great fun, and shouldn't need "re-training" for hacking, but you might need some pointers on how to ride them. Argentinian ponies are also hardy. Have fun!:D

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
He'll respond very quickly to your body weight. Just thinking 'turn' can have you going in the opposite direction on a sixpence. He'll also stop in an instant, though his head will stay up, which is great for helping to keep the rider in the plate :cool: :D

Get some advice if you can from the person/groom you're getting him from.

Jazzy B

Visit site
I turned my ex polo / polocrosse pony argey TB into a happy hacker - and she was probably the most bombproof happy hacker I've ever had, could have probably have ridden her along the M25 in rush hour! It did take time however, she was very strong and to start with she found riding in groups just a complete brain overload and if anyone over took her! :eek:

I started off by taking her out of the cheltenham gag she was in and put her in a snaffle that was quite scary but once she realised nobody was going to interfere with her front end began to relax. I then built up the amount of people went out hacking and just asking some one to go in front for a few minutes in walk and just building it up and up . In the end I could do pleasure rides on her in the snaffle with absolutely no drama's although she always liked a good gallop and loved being in front :D honestly worth her weight in gold. Enjoy they are amazing ponies!

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
My old mare was ex Argentinian polo pony, lots of brands - headshy as hello though the poor bird - cracker to ride and amazing fun! You'll get used to riding them pretty quickly.