Polo taster session

katief

Visit site
Am off on one tomorrow with Uni, does anyone have any idea what to expect? Any hints/tips - is it easy to get the hang of riding a polo pony? Little worried as everyone I've spoken to has said how much I'll enjoy it...which will then mean joining and paying for lessons, and club kit and etc etc...which as a poor student I probably shouldn't but can see it happening!Thanks!

miss_c

Visit site
It will be FINE! And very addictive.... A lot of Uni polo clubs are much cheaper than if you were playing as a non-student.

Yes riding a polo pony is different, but you will very quickly get the hang of it. You'll probably spend some time on the ground learning the shots, and also some time on the ponies learning the riding side of it, and then probably some time putting the two together!!!

Just have fun!!! :D

Mavis Cluttergusset

Visit site
When I had a taster lesson we used a wooden horse first, to get the hang of actually swinging the mallet and hitting the ball, then we moved onto the ponies. They were amazing, just a tiny shift of weight and they whipped round at a canter. It was brilliant fun!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Oh please let us know what it was like? Am hoping and heavily hinting that OH might buy me a polo taster session as a Christmas present (For 'heavily hinting' I've been cantering round the living room whacking a tennis ball with a broom and doing nifty changes of leg as I pass the sofa he's slouching on..think he might get the message?).

Tapir

Visit site
I went on one of these earlier in the year for a friend's hen do. It was one of the best days ever!

We all had a go with the balls and sticks on the ground then on the wooden horse before getting on the actual horses. We then practised our steering before adding the sticks & balls and finally we all got three games.

The horses were brilliant and very patient and we all had an amazing time. We're planning to go back for any "big" birthdays that are coming up.

katief

Visit site
ahhh it was fun! we got split into 3 groups, and mine were literally put on the horses for 5 minutes and then given sticks - talk about thrown in the deep end! Wish we hadn't been the first group though as we were all a little tentative about how much we could do speed wise etc, whereas the next 2 groups were really going for it. We also had 2 guys who'd not ridden, one fell/toppled off, and then someone else came off aswell and we had to pause to catch the horse... but it was so exciting! Horses are so good and turn so easily!Also were pretty patient, seeing as we had a mix of riders and non-riders
We also then got to practice with the foot mallets on the ground - ie we all ran around like crazy people whacking the ball. Then we watched a couple of demo chukkas and it's amaaaazing to watch, so quick and the horses literally are quite happy to push into each other etc (can't see mine at home becoming a polo pony...!)
Would recommend it to anybody - think I am going to 'discuss' with my parents about how much I want to do it and see what the outcome is :D My thought is that I'll never ever get the chance to do it again so cheaply so I should make the most of it?