Pondering. . What makes a good para dressage horse?

spacefaer

Visit site
As title really!

Obviously every rider has likes/dislikes in horse types, but I saw a horse advertised the other day as "ideal for para dressage" and it got me thinking

Any thoughts?

ihatework

Visit site
I suppose it's very difficult to generalise, as the para riders are all vastly different - some incredibly disabled to some who who be competitive in able-bodied competition.

Irrespective of the grade of rider I suppose there would be a few consistent qualities within a horse
- generous & trainable, they may need to learn new aids and ways of doing things
- responsive, often these riders will lack body strength, therefore they need horses that will go off light aids

For the more disabled rider, then the bulk of the test is done in walk, therefore walk quality is critical.

Supertrooper

Visit site
My friend does para dressage, she needs a horse that is steady but responsive as she hasn't got the physical strength in her legs but also one that is not too bouncy to ride.

She also needs one that doesn't mind her left leg shooting up towards it's ears when her leg muscles spasm!

She rides a gorgeous shire x cob and has recently qualified for the nationals on her :)

lindsayH

Visit site
My friend's horse was used in the Paralympics, he is a nice middleweight type about 16hh/16.1hh I would guess. He does some low level dressage and is nicely schooled with an even temperament. I would have thought it was a big ask for a horse not used to big events to go into that arena but he behaved beautifully. As said above, I guess what sort of horse you need would depend a lot on the disability. I guess it will get more and more competitive the more popular the sport the gets and the horses required will correspondingly improve.

1t34

Visit site
Depends as with all competition horses what level. To do seriously well and be competitive at national level needs to move well. Needs to be a fairly calm ride rather than hot. Grade 3/4 would need to be capeable of being competitive at least advanced medium at a national level with changes etc. The freestyle tests allow for changes etc. In my opinion they are very special horses which are difficult to find, talented with top end ability with a good if not exceptional attitude. Most riders source youngsters.

chels

Visit site
My big guy, who was my jumping horse prior to me not being able to jump anymore is a little tricky, but absolutely 100% safe. At 16 he has learned a whole new set of aids, and to be light off them (He'd never done a dressage test until 13). I have no grip in my hands, so use core aids for downwards transitions. He doesn't get upset when my leg moves around on the days I haven't tied it.
He moves well and is easy to sit on. He stops immediately if I get unbalanced.
My new one is a green broke 4 year old. She moves amazingly and will hopefully be my international horse. She is a fast learner and is generous and kind.
My biggest thing is that they are sensible, and think for themselves but are responsive when asked to do something. I'm tied on so this is not negotiable. They are both exceptional in hand.

Worried1

Visit site
We loaned Diva to a para rider from Argentina, she was a Grade 1a rider and they used her at an CPDI at Hartpury which enabled the rider to secure her Olympic Qualification for London 2012.

Diva competed upto Advanced Medium, she has an incredible walk and is really sensible and level headed and a naturally unspooky horse. She has great rhythm, was responsive without being sharp or over reactive.

When we sold her we had several para riders of varying grades come to try her, some riders liked her some didn't, we eventually sold her to an able bodied rider before buying her back 7 months later.

The biggest thing is partnership, just because one para rider rode it doesn't automatically mean its suitable for every para rider.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Temperament is critical - having ridden a horse for a para rider all winter who had some but not all of the required qualities!
A really good walk, a generous outlook, a natural outline (to allow for sometimes uneven contact), and v easy to handle on the ground (she was super at standing for him to clamber onto from a tall frame with a few peoples help, but unfortunately once you got on a spooky mare...).
While I thought the one I was riding was not that suitable, what entered my head was a retired eventer who maybe wasn't quite up to the jumping any more but had seen big arenas and so on, and not such a big mover that they were hard to sit to
Apparently there is a fairly rigorous trot up procedure at the big events which may rule out some 'second career' horses though.

Worried1

Visit site
^ trot ups ^ all horses competing under FEI rules have to be trotted up before the ground jury, I saw one spun and another represented so soundness is very important too.