Pongy cat

chaps89

Visit site
Fat cat smells. Bless him, he is getting on a bit but in the last week or so I've noticed he has a really unpleasant smell to his coat.
He hates water so I'm not sure I can inflict a bath on him (or any poor soul who I'd take him to to do such a thing)
He's a dsh moggy and I brush him regularly.
Is there anything else I can do short of spraying febreeze on him? (I am of course joking about the febreeze!)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used a dry shampoo on my collie cross as it was winter, i think it was bob martins and it was foam, you either sprayed it directly on to the coat or sprayed into your hands, and then massaged it in to the coat. then dried with a towel and brushed or combed the coat. definitely improved her coat and made her smell nice and clean without the use of water..

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If Puss has, up till now, been grooming himself OK, then something is obviously going on if he's all of a sudden a bit whiffy in spite of doing that. You say you're brushing him regularly to help him, and in spite of this you have noticed this unpleasant odour on him.

I would be inclined to ask your vet to take a look TBH; yes he is elderly, but the smell could be an indication of something going on like for e.g. a kidney/urine infection. Is Puss urinating and poo-ing OK?? Have you noticed that he's drinking more water than usual?

Whatever, if you're worried, I'd be inclined to ask the vet what they think with this one.

chaps89

Visit site
I had no idea dry shampoo for pets was a thing! I will have a look, although he's tolerant of many things I get the feeling that might not be on his list of things that are ok but we may give it a go.

He has thyroid issues and renal problems, and very few teeth left so he is showing his age a little. This said he seems well and bright in himself and normal in all other ways. He's due back at the vets in March anyway for his jabs and bloods to be redone so I will flag it then (unless of course anything happens that requires me to bring it forwards in which case I will of course)

Thankyou :)