Ponie trouble

Dominodancer

Visit site
Hi all

5 months ago I purchased a 12hh NF pony for my daughter, been there don't it type. He was brilliant just the occasional pony tricks but nothing to worry about. Rode lovely indoors schooling jumping. Hacking hoof perfect. He had a bad cough which was treated correctly by the vet and also managed at home wet hay and shavings etc, whilst coughing he was only in light work. He is now over the cough.

Since being over the cough he has become a little swine, he wont ride indoor alone he naps, broncs, bunny hops anything he can do to avoid going forward. He certainly wont entertain jumping. When rode with others he is more forward but still naps and tries to bronc, side steps and shows off his dressage skills :)

He has little turnout at the moment whist the fields restore, if he goes out its in a small grassless paddock on his own .

He is rode now and then as his behaviour is so frustrating. As I am not the most confident rider my friend is trying with him and he is the same with her. So reluctant to do anything in the indoor school even when you try to have fun with him.

He hasn't always been naughty and we had such good first 2 months.

Not sure what to do with him and I am at my wits end. Back, teeth and tack checked all good.

Please tell me its going to get better and to give him a chance!

Dominodancer

Visit site
5 months ago I assume he had plenty of turnout, now he has none.....

Turn him out, exercise him, and perhaps consider ulcers.
I would say it's the lack of turnout could you lunge him for a bit before your daughter gets on?

I do lunge him he is good at that just does it no bother.
With the lighter nights I will be able to do more (hopefully).
Requested private lessons.
I am hoping when full turnout resumes and is able to be a horse he may turn a corner. Thank you for you reply and advice.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Was he vetted when you bought him?

If he doesn't improved rapidly when he gets some turnout and exercise, I would be looking at getting a vet to check him over.

If he can't go out for a while yet, I would get a vet now. And find a different way to keep him next winter whatever happens between now and then.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
All the NF ponies I have had would be bored out of their mind with restricted turnout and look for trouble, I have never really restricted but I know the lack of time out combined with an inexperienced child and or nervous adult they would have probably been much the same as yours in the school but may well be better if taken for a few good long hacks to blow off the cobwebs.
Get him back out asap and if you know turnout will be restricted every winter maybe find somewhere else before the next one, by then you should know him better and may be doing more to keep him interested.

Dominodancer

Visit site

If he doesn't improved rapidly when he gets some turnout and exercise, I would be looking at getting a vet to check him over.

If he can't go out for a while yet, I would get a vet now. And find a different way to keep him in rdt winter whatever happens between now and then.

If he can't go out for a while yet, I would get a vet now. And find a different way to keep him in rdt winter whatever happens between now and then.

Ycbm thank you. Process of elimination at the moment. Thank you for your reply

Callieann

Visit site
Hi all

5 months ago I purchased a 12hh NF pony for my daughter, been there don't it type. He was brilliant just the occasional pony tricks but nothing to worry about. Rode lovely indoors schooling jumping. Hacking hoof perfect. He had a bad cough which was treated correctly by the vet and also managed at home wet hay and shavings etc, whilst coughing he was only in light work. He is now over the cough.

Since being over the cough he has become a little swine, he wont ride indoor alone he naps, broncs, bunny hops anything he can do to avoid going forward. He certainly wont entertain jumping. When rode with others he is more forward but still naps and tries to bronc, side steps and shows off his dressage skills :)

He has little turnout at the moment whist the fields restore, if he goes out its in a small grassless paddock on his own .

He is rode now and then as his behaviour is so frustrating. As I am not the most confident rider my friend is trying with him and he is the same with her. So reluctant to do anything in the indoor school even when you try to have fun with him.

He hasn't always been naughty and we had such good first 2 months.

Not sure what to do with him and I am at my wits end. Back, teeth and tack checked all good.

Please tell me its going to get better and to give him a chance!
Hi there, perhaps he just needs time to develop more of a bond with you. More turnout with other horses may help too. I bought horse 18 months ago and has a very similar experience. I spent time doing lots of groundwork (not lunging), I changed her turnout so she always had a companion. It's like I've got a different horse now, so relaxed and happy. Give him time, it will come right in the end.

Dominodancer

Visit site
Hi there, perhaps he just needs time to develop more of a bond with you. More turnout with other horses may help too. I bought horse 18 months ago and has a very similar experience. I spent time doing lots of groundwork (not lunging), I changed her turnout so she always had a companion. It's like I've got a different horse now, so relaxed and happy. Give him time, it will come right in the end.
Thank you for your words of support. This week he has excelled himself. How long it will last who knows but very pleased with him. We didnt push it in the school he did what we asked and then left it on a good note. On the up side he has been hoof perfect out. I took him in the school tonight, you can tell he's anxious in there but he was a little better. Little being the operative word.. x