Ponies for very small children - any advice appreciated!

Venevidivici

Visit site
Cattysmith-I agree-the synthetic stirrup 'leathers' on the saddle that came with our pony were horrible! Stiff with no flexion or softness. I got a pair of leather ones& put them on instead-much easier for them to change stirrup holes too.

Fiona

Visit site
Thank you horsehappy - I was under the impression that they didn't need a BP until they were riding off the lead rein.... How do you ladies feel about BPs??? Needed at the start or not... I'll add it to the list if we need one..

Thanks dolce - I thought an endurance hat would be lighter at the v start, but I'm sure you are right and a proper velvet one would be comfier once they have got used to wearing one....

Fiona

Spudlet

Visit site
I love the multi-coloured reins you can get, which I think are to help teach about the contact and rein length. If they did them in grown-up sizes, I would probably have some:D

horsehappy

Visit site
mine have always ridden in BP from day 1. i think its a good habit for them to be in- my 2 year old runs to get her hat and BP out the cupboard now when im tacking up as she knows she cant ride without either! :) i chose to do it from day one as didnt want to insist on her wearing one when she started jumping etc and her to feel restricted after riding without one for so long. personal choice i suppose?

LynH

Visit site
If you can get him to wear a body protector from day one it's easier than trying to get them used to one later on. After seeing my friend's 4yr old fly sideways off a pony on the lead rein when it shook unexpectedly I would definitely recommend one when on LR. I'm always impressed how unfazed kids are by these things and happily hop back on but better to be safe than sorry.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Can't stand tiny tots in BP's myself. It is so restricting, and to me it takes some of the 'fun' things away. Ever tried to 'go round the world' wearing something that resembles flat pack furniture? I'm aware accidents do/can happen and for this parents try to cover all bases. BUT, until a child is off on his own, roaring around, jumping, doing games and such like, I think a case of 'elf n safety' tooo far.
I didn't let my daughter wear one when she was on the lead rein.

I managed without one growing up!

(My personal choice obviously, and every parent, child/pony combination has their own right to do what they want).

Wiz201

Visit site
Is it better to teach children to ride without stirrups? Especially if he's already used to riding shotgun in front of you on the taller horse?

Littlelegs

Visit site
I don't like bps on tinies personally. Firstly because I would grab them before they hit the deck so its needlessly restrictive. And secondly because its easier to learn to fall & roll without, which I think is a more important skill. At 8 mine rarely wears one, even though she's been galloping about off lr for years. I don't get her to wear one to jump at home either. She can now roll like a pro, so as the fences get bigger (& more solid stuff) its use will increase now I'm satisfied she can do the important part & save herself.

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
When we had a shetland, and the dinky saddle , i used jockey stirrups and leathers, they are tiny. and not too expensive. you can get skull caps in size 00 1/2. it's very small. Small ponies tend to be able to get out of anywhere, I'd definitely go 3 strands, one close enough to the ground, so they cant get under it. They are alot of fun, but normally very cheeky. x

Venevidivici

Visit site
Both mine wore BPs from day 1. After they have had their lessons,they are allowed to take them off to do 'round the world' and 'scissors' etc. It is personal choice but there's no way mine get on without theirs on and now,because of that,they don't know any different. Yes,we all managed without them years ago but years ago,people rarely wore hats,cars didn't have seatbelts,houses didn't have smoke alarms etc etc. Some things progress for good reason,not just because of the health&safety mafia....still,I agree,it's personal choice and don't want to spoil the thread! Rant over;)

scewal

Visit site
My son at that age had an adjustable hay by Polly. It came with stickers so i put his name on the front. My cub saddle also had proper stirrup bars. Will measure my dinky stirrups. Think the black thorowgood stirrups come in a small size.

Fiona

Visit site
When we had a shetland, and the dinky saddle , i used jockey stirrups and leathers, they are tiny. and not too expensive. you can get skull caps in size 00 1/2. it's very small. Small ponies tend to be able to get out of anywhere, I'd definitely go 3 strands, one close enough to the ground, so they cant get under it. They are alot of fun, but normally very cheeky. x

Funny I had wondered about jockey's stuff as there was some in the ride away catalogue.... Good idea :D

I think maybe 'escaping' will be one of the things I have to check with his present owner about, worst case scenario we have 3 small post and rail paddocks as well as the big fields, but I'm sure he would rather be with the other 2 mares....

Thanks to a very kind HHOer who redded out her tackroom for me, I now have leathers/irons/cages and a fab wee velvet hat....

Have to say he's not delighted with the hat, but hope he will get used to it if I insist he can't get on without it (he sits on my mare at the moment)...

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
My son at that age had an adjustable hay by Polly. It came with stickers so i put his name on the front. My cub saddle also had proper stirrup bars. Will measure my dinky stirrups. Think the black thorowgood stirrups come in a small size.

Thats the little hat I was going to get him, as it was adjustable, am thinking if his little friends are over during the summer to have a sit on pony it would be handy to have.... I'll see how he takes to the velvet one first.....

Right the BP question..... Am still undecided about this, mainly due to the fact that when we tried on on in the tackshop a few months ago he was rather unimpressed with it. Looked undeniably cute, but trying to pull it off if I made it in any way tight....

Totally take your point though ladies that a BP as well as a hat can well be seen as standard safety kit, and his birthday is coming up in June so by then he may have a bit more understanding if I tell him 'no BP, no riding'.....

What do all you other ladies think about BPs (are they necessary or not while they are still being led) - 2 votes strongly for so far....

I imagine that for the first wee while it will need OH and I both to take him out, one leading pony and one walking beside him (hand on thigh RDA style)...

Fiona

Venevidivici

Visit site
^^^ definitely have 2 of you leading him out. Small kids are adept at keeling off ponies in that split second that you sneeze/blink/get something in your eye/trip up/get your glove out of your pocket etc etc you get the picture! And I'm definitely all for BPs,in case anyone didn't notice:D

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I enjoyed my assignation with your OH at the petrol station, and am awaiting the local gossipmongers to tell me what I was doing there :D

I have real issues as an instructor trying to teach children when they are wearing BPs, because they cause so many positional issues, but as a mum I did insist on them wearing them from an early age, but iirc they didn't wear them when they were very tiny because the simply didn't fit properly and made them so uncomfortable. We found the only ones that they liked were the Aerowear Reiver BPs. The only time I let my son (now 11) ride without one is when he is having his dressage training.

You've got me started with the tackroom clearout now ....... ;):D

Fiona

Visit site
Holding myself entirely responsible for your clean and sparkling tackroom rowreach :D Can't believe no-one has mentioned your secret assignation yet lol......

There don't seem to be a great range of options in the tiny BP sizes..... The racesafe one (which I always thought the most flexible and easy to wear) doesn't seem to come in any small sizes :(

It was a 'velcro at both sides' BP we tried in the tackshop so probably was a reiver one....

FIona

Gingermonkey

Visit site
Awwww I want a small person and a tiny hairy pony, with bright small grooming kits, mini yard tools, dog lead ropes and rocking horse stirrups. Mine are large and grown up now...sigh.

Fiona

Visit site
Aww gingermonkey :(

It all seems very exciting this week because the sun is shining, event season is starting and his stable is nearly ready - I am hoping that the reality is as good as the anticipation, and F doesn't lose interest after a year, or the pony be a little nightmare....

Fiona

dalesslave

Visit site
ginger monkey i have a small person you can borrow as i have no small pony and probably cant afford one either although she's more into the bigger horses than my boy she'd rather sit on the 16 hh sports horse than 14.2 hh of billy!

GlamourPuss86

Visit site
I had a horrid little heinz 57 as a kid, must have had him between 2-5, nasty bolshy little sod who used to routinely dump me on the floor!

However at 27 I now ignore all face pulling, can sit out most things and can read a horse well all thanks to the revolting Barney Boo!

We did a lot of showing so I don't remember anything really except a proper saddle, although I assume we had something different at home!