Ponies hanging onto winter coat

pennyturner

Visit site
Anyone elses ponies / horses still carrying some winter coat?

With this year's funny weather, some of mine have really hung onto their woolies. Particularly noticeable on my blue roan 2yo, whose white winter undercoat is a completely different colour to his dark grey/blue summer coat. Poor little thing looks a complete flea-bag.

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
Anyone elses ponies / horses still carrying some winter coat?

With this year's funny weather, some of mine have really hung onto their woolies. Particularly noticeable on my blue roan 2yo, whose white winter undercoat is a completely different colour to his dark grey/blue summer coat. Poor little thing looks a complete flea-bag.

All of ours still have there winter woollies around there bellies :)

Spiritedly

Visit site
My two youngsters are looking decidedly moth eaten. I was hoping to get them both out to some shows this month as well but they look too tatty :(

pennyturner

Visit site
My two youngsters are looking decidedly moth eaten. I was hoping to get them both out to some shows this month as well but they look too tatty :(

Glad it's not just me. You know those rescue photos you sometimes see where the horse is in fundamentally good condition, but the coat's all matted and shabby, so loads of people who don't know any better post comments about how the owner should be shot etc, etc...

Alternatively, imagine a horse that's been clipped by a really drunk blind person.

mulberrymill

Visit site
I succumbed to the clippers today for the shetlands, well until the blades went blunt, finish tomorrow i hope. I just couldnt stand the sight of them any more. The New Forest had a trace clip which you can still see, so next winter its full clip for him and shetties will be fully clipped in March, cant have this again

ladyt25

Visit site
Guess it's not just mine then! My 27yo usually has a really lovely summer coat but he is still a bit woolly this year. He looks like they do when they start getting fluffy before winter hits. My other one still has the remnants of his blanket clip too. Must have been the later start to spring/summer we had this year I guess.

meeshybob

New User
Visit site
My mare still has winter coat on her nose, under her chin and one stubborn patch on her belly. I'm not surprised though, she used to live out 24/7 without a rug. She didn't grow enough winter coat this winter so I ended up rugging her for a couple of the coldest months and now she's got what little she had left! Think the weather has confused her!

It was a talking point in the show ring the other day (and she came 3rd in the class) so it can't have bothered the judge that much!!

Hoopsa

Visit site
So pleased to find that I am not the only one! Summer coat on the front half and persistent hairy coats behind the saddle. My arms nearly fell off at one point with all that scraping with the Furminator and various curry combs. I have now accepted defeat ......

Visit site
My shetlands are all still hairy as is my fell. My welsh d, dartmoor and tbs are in full summers though oh and the only shetland I didn't rug - go figure?! I think this year I am going to clip all of my show shetlands as I doubt I will get them out before August at this rate! Bloomin Scottish weather!

Rose Folly

Visit site
The only person who has her summer coat good and proper is my Welsh Section D. The TB, the Shelties and the Section C are all half-and-half. If they don't get a move on it'll be winter again!

SO1

Visit site
my pony has full summer coat but looks like he starting to shed that now so might be preparing for winter but then I guess the longest day has now passed!