Ponies neighing when separated - neighbours fed up! Help!

billylula

Visit site
Our two have totally pair bonded. Sometimes they have to be separated - ie tonight horse had to go to rally and pony left behind. Pony neighing madly and settles only briefly. The people who live near the paddock have complained about the noise :-( it's just as bad if you take the pony away from the horse). Not sure what to do. Would a field companion help... Although really can't afford to keep another pony. Donkey? Lama? Rescue pony?

putasocinit

Visit site
tough if they dont like the sounds of the country side then move. nothing you can do about your horses and i dont think there is anything they can do either, learn to live with it.

Enfys

Visit site
What she said ^ :D

They should be grateful that they don't have 100 ewes at lambing time next door to them ;) Now there's an idea .......;)

You could always ask if they would like to fund the upkeep of a companion to the companion :)

billylula

Visit site
Oh god I can't say that - we have the paddock on a grace and favour from the lady who owns it - people are complaining to her not me so I really want to placate them!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Could you stable the pony with a haynet whilst the other is away.

I would also say tough to the moaning neighbours. It's not a permanent noise and if they choose to live in the countryside they should accept the noise that goes with it.

I was complained about years ago by people who did not like the sound of my hunters going out on exercise at dawn, turns out they had moved from the Black Country and used to live in the shadow of the M6. Get a life !!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
be aware that an extra companion may not help if you then need to take the other 2 away and still have to leave on.

We only have 2 horses and the gelding does get a bit stressed when the mare is here.. although he is quieter when noone is about to neigh too ;). We do always stable with haynets and they are generally both quiet with the occasional girly neigh from him! - Our field is surrounded by houses with old people ;) but they all love them dearly so noone would mind :).

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I'd tell the neighbours to move to the city if they don't want the noise- silly b*ggers! Sound very petty and small minded, I envy them if that's all they have to complain about :rolleyes:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm concerned about this at the moment. I have one with massive separation anxiety which I manage by giving him a pet Shetland which works well but he's become very close to my other horse so I know hell will break loose when me and my daughter next try and ride the others out (they have been off work a while) I feel for the poor old lady who's house backs onto my field :(

billylula

Visit site
Yes I suppose a companion would have to not mind being left alone or we will be back to square one.

I live in a small country village, you wouldn't believe what people complain about :rolls eyes:

We also have too much manure on the lane outside our house apparently! And that's after I clean it up! Just the stains left!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I had an old lady standing there waving her umbrella at my (luckily bombproof) horse shouting at me for being on the roads as

"horses shouldn't be on the roads its 2012!" and ranting about the poo, so I told her SHE shouldn't be in the countryside, and if she could cope with living in the city with the dirty pollution then there is that option for her. I then made a point of the fact that her neighbour over the road had actually purchased a poo picker to collect it and put it on his roses and carried on down the road leaving her a bit quieter, not had any bother since !

Feel sorry for you to be stuck in that situation. People enjoy making life difficult and can't compromise and should realise the world doesn't revolve around their ideals

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have two, and they can be a bit noisy when one is left. They are much better if left in the stable or winter turnout area around the yard, or even better, in a very small paddock we have that is full of lush grass (which seems to make them forget their lost love PDQ). TBH, sometimes another horse doesn't make a difference, we used to have three, and my mare was so in love with the big gelding that she ignored the pony and acted as though she was alone when out with him.

micki

Visit site
I used to keep my 2 at someone's house. I used to take one out jumping on a Friday night in the winter. On a Saturday when i went into the chippy the staff used to ask me how we had ot on. They always knew when i had been out as my other horse used to call until i got back. They used to like to hear her :D.
A companion might not work. I know have 4 horses and if i take my old irl out of the field my big gelding calls like mad and he has another 2 in with him. He is just that concerned that "his girl" isn't in the field. You just can't win with horses!!
As for people, if they don't like the sounds and sights or smells of the countryside then go to the towns or cities and leave the countryside to people who appreciate it.

mon

Visit site
I had some complain about my dog barking for about a minute when let out for night walk. Text back that is what you get living beside a livestock farm, they moved out of rented house before lambing. Get very little sympathy live in countryside expect country noises.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I would say to them that I'm sorry they find it annoying, and that you have been offered a donkey or two to keep the horse company..... And a peacock.......they are bloody noisy!

glamourpuss

Visit site
I had 2 & the other used to call if I took one away. Now I've got 3 & if I take 1 away......both of the horses left shout!

The worse thing is when they're all out together they act like they hate each other.
Bloody horses!

Orangehorse

Visit site
There are 24 hours in the day - how many hours out of the day do they neigh? (Don't say 6 hours!)

There isn't anything you can do really, other than leave the companion with a pile of food and maybe a mirror in the stable, maybe a radio turned on. Do they neigh all the time? Mine just neighs when he hears his friend coming back. Sounds like the neighbours are being over-sensitive. Agree that donkeys and peacocks are very noisy, also cattle and sheep can make a racket sometimes.