Pictures Ponies wanting to be in...early !

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
My two, Shyboy the gypsy cob, and Pepsi my 31 year old rescue pony both want to come in from 2pm or earlier....normal time 4pm, out at 9am. They have hay and water out, have had good breakfasts with hay too, the paddock has some grass in it, just. Not too much mud. But they just stand at the gate eyeing me up. Today the weather was ok, so they had no excuse! I brought them in at 2.30pm and they couldn't get in fast enough, they just seem to love their stables! ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190910_221724.jpg
    IMG_20190910_221724.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 69

millitiger

Visit site
Despite hay in the field, mine are loitering and want to come in around 12-1pm at the moment.
I can’t blame them with the weather and ground as it is and working from home means it isn’t an issue to pop out and get them when I see them at the gate.

I’d rather get them when they want to come in, than leave them to get agitated and start galloping around and nipping.
They go out at 6-7am so still a decent few hours out.

doodle

Visit site
I am probably pandering and causing more issues for myself but if they want in they want in. If that means 2pm then so be it. If they don’t get in the start to tear about. (There is a window between stand and look miserable and let’s kick off). Trashing field and quite possibly themselves along with being in the first field so wind up any other horses being brought in. In an ideal world he would be happy out for much longer but reality means they can come in!

L&M

Visit site
Ours have started coming in at 2pm too - any longer and they prat about. We are lucky enough to have plenty of grass left with little mud, but with the constant rain/sleet, imagine the grass does not taste as nice as a net of nice haylage.

I expect they will stay in this routine until end of feb/beginning of march, but as soon as the grass starts to grow again, they will be happier staying out.

skint1

Visit site
Aw bless them. Mine have been going out between 0830-0930 and are ready to come in by early afternoon, all the horses on the yard pretty much are waiting by the gates. I think although there's grass it's not that fulfilling.

SEL

Visit site
I was early today and they didn't hear the car. Big mare was flirting over the fence with the flashy warmblood, gelding was nibbling and little mare was snoozing. By the time I'd parked they were all at the gate yelling at their slave.

So they did come in a bit early but with plenty of eye rolls about so called tough native types.

J&S

Visit site
Mine start hovering about 4.30 pm, coming in early if it is really wet but generally its 6 pm. They stand quite quietly in the yard and finish up a few stray wisps of hay or straw while they are waiting. They can go into their stables any time but just seem to pop in to poo and then come out again. I never leave food in stables with doors open but there are hay boxes in the yard. Because they can come into the hard standing there is no pacing about in the gateway. I am lucky to have them at home.

Surbie

Visit site
Mine is used to being out and mooches about happily with his head down, keeping out of bother. If it were different, in any case the new boy won't let him near the gate unless I am in the field with him. Suits me - the ground near the mud slabs is a bit iffy and it's way better further out in the field.

meleeka

Visit site
Mine start hovering about 4.30 pm, coming in early if it is really wet but generally its 6 pm. They stand quite quietly in the yard and finish up a few stray wisps of hay or straw while they are waiting. They can go into their stables any time but just seem to pop in to poo and then come out again. I never leave food in stables with doors open but there are hay boxes in the yard. Because they can come into the hard standing there is no pacing about in the gateway. I am lucky to have them at home.

Why do they do it?! Mine are the same, they walk in from the field, do a poo, then leave! I have to sweep the beds back every morning because otherwise they need a full muck out twice a day. I have tried to explain that if they use their outside toilet, which is right next to the dung heap, it would be a lot less work for me.

Coming in time can be anywhere from 2pm as far as mine are concerned. I’m usually there all day Saturdays and depending on weather that’s when they start shouting for tea. I usually go at 6pm so 2 is very early.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Toby drags his feet on his way out and wants in within the hour. I sometimes force him to stay out longer but he trashes the field pacing, so now he is coming in whenver he starts complaining. Dolly is happy out all day even if the others come in and she's alone. She only wants to come in when it starts to get dark. I think Tobes would rather be stabled fulltime at the moment but I want him out at least for an hour or two. Amber is happily out 24/7! So I have 3 on totally different regimes. But I guess they all want different things.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Pepsi the shettie immediately has a wee after tea. He's too short to get a bucket underneath him. Why oh why wont he pee outside?

Last edited:

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
My sect D mare now predicts the weather. We've periods of squally sleet showers and periods of blue sky. When the weather seems calm and settled she'll go and stand by the entrance to the stables asking to go in, and you can be sure that within the 10 mintes or so a massive icy squall will blow in even though there's been no sign of it.