Pontcanna Riding School, Cardiff - CLOSURE

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I learnt yesterday that Cardiff Council have announced the closure of Pontcanna Riding School.

This is a devastating blow for the staff and clients who work and ride there - and of course the 50 horses who live there -whose future suddenly looks grim.

I learnt to ride there as a child, and purchased my beloved AmyMay from them when I returned to riding in my 20's.

Can I ask anyone who is Cardiff based to join the facebook page in support of the School, and to also write to their local councilor and the council to complain about the proposed closure.

Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/groups/559362764076291/?notif_t=group_added_to_group

Also, if you'd like to contact Cardiff Council Direct - Graham Craven is Head of Service - Community Facilities, and is in charge of the Council's Leisure Centre and recreational facilities. His email address is:gcraven@cardiff.gov.uk,

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have they said why it is closing?

Massive budget cuts being made by Cardiff Council. It also includes cuts in arts funding too.

However, the budget cuts are being linked to council tax - so if the cuts are made council tax doesn't have to be raised.

navaho

Visit site
Massive budget cuts being made by Cardiff Council. It also includes cuts in arts funding too.

However, the budget cuts are being linked to council tax - so if the cuts are made council tax doesn't have to be raised.

Im sure they could make cuts in other areas instead though....you will probably find they want to close the place, bull doze it & build rabbit hutch homes on it or some big waste of space shopping complex.

Annagain

Visit site
I heard about this this morning. It's so sad. My first pony Blue is there. He's 27 now, I can't imagine he'd find a new home easily at his age - he a grumpy old git too! I've signed the petition and joined the group.

It's not just Cardiff kids who go there, plenty from the Vale and other surrounding areas go there too.

Skyebald

Visit site
I'm not quite sure why UWIC keeps being brought into this ??? Yes they do have car parking issues but are not currently looking to aquire additional land .

The closure of the Riding School will have a very personal impact on some of its employees and should it close will be much missed

BTW to keep you in the loop UWIC is now Cardiff Met :D

Skyebald

Visit site
I understood they were looking for someone else to take it on ? From the fb page it seems that quite a few people are less than pleased with that option...

Luyu

Visit site
I know this is a slightly different topic, but along with Pontcanna Flat Holm Island Nature Reserve is also facing closure due to the council's cuts. It is a Site of Special Scientific Interest whilst also being filled with cultural heritage. Please if people could like this page (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/SaveFlatHolmIsland) and sign the petition I would be very thankful!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Happy to sign Luyu.

I think what the council are proposing with regards to cuts is questionable to say the least. And I've come to the conclusion that they unfortunately haven't got a clue when it comes to finances.

Really, a £3 increase in everyone's council tax (oh and not spending £35.5k on ipads) would sort some of the issues out that they are concerned about.

Maybe they'll try and sell of Anglesey next.......

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Whilst Im pro keeping the riding school, I'm losing the stomach to back a campaign that is suggesting the council will just put these horses down off the cuff.
Surely if this is a money saving exercise they are more likely to try selling these animals? Not foot the bill for euthanasia and removal?!