Pontispool BE Report

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Interesting responses to my negative post so I thought I would put myself out there!

I have recently moved my horse up to Novice and we had an incredibly disappointing run at his first one at West Buckland. He got a shocking dressage score but that is a whole other story as the judging was completely inconsistent and actually I felt it was a sweet enough test but I was not there for the dressage. The showjumping was shocking and completely my fault with 4 fences down through me holding far too much and being tense and then I did not walk the XC course appropriately and picked up a stupid 20 for just not switching my brain on. I was pretty upset by the whole day as I knew it was all my fault and I was not riding anywhere near the standard I should have been.

I changed all my plans for the future and this took the pressure off and I was able to pick myself up and try and sort out the most pressing issues.

2 Weeks later we were set up for Pontispool having more mileage at Newcomers and having had a couple of lessons to sort out the issues I felt were most pressing. I had a brilliant lesson with Nick Gauntlett on the Saturday where he gave me my new mantra - Make it happen.

I did the fatal thing on Sunday of looking at the Novice results and to say I was horrified was an understatement. The Es on both Sjing and XC were rather large and it was the U18s and ON who had been running. So all in all I was not feeling terribly thrilled about going.

I parked next to a good friend who was also doing the Novice and a very trusted friend came along to offer me moral support. I walked the xc in a much more determined fashion and much more carefully this time. I walked the showjumping and though it was pretty massive I made a careful plan.

Dressage was something to get through and not helped by a complete lack of studs in one hind foot. I tried several things recommended through E-Venting but none worked to keep the studs in. The score is one to gloss over!

Onto the showjumping which is my bete noire. I was incredibly nervous. My favourite preparation for showjumping is retching and almost being sick. Novice is still out of my comfort zone and with BSJA I normally jump a class before so never suffer what I do eventing. I have had NLP which means as soon as I am on the horse I am calm but unfortunately until I am sat on the horse I am a bit of a mess. It will get better but it needs to be just coped with at the moment. Its not that I am nervous per se, but more that I work myself up and just want things to go well. The warm up went well thanks to my new tweaked warm up and my friend doing poles. Went in and I rode forwards as he jumps better off a forward stride. Finished with 2 down which I was pleased with as still a lot of work to do in this phase.

I hate my position showjumping and really struggle on this horse to give with my hands but its a work in progress and slowly getting better. He has also had a change of bridle to just a snaffle.

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQd-VBTlj0

http://www.jayphotos.co.uk/events/13052527%20BE%20HORSE%20TRIALS%20AT%20PONTISPOOL/NOVICE%20Monday/BAKKELYS%20TORNADO%20Counsell%20Lucy%20867/?pic=MON-AM01-5379.jpg

Onto xc - another change of bridle back to just a rubber snaffle and cavasson as this horse does not pull but I was aware I over bitted him for West Buckland.
He had a bit of a shocker at the first - me being tentative and him not being switched on. He had a smack to get his mind on the job and off he went. He is still pretty green as done 8 BE100 at the most and he was fabulously straight. Gave me a great ride and though we were slow I felt him grow in confidence and deal with a tough course.

Video -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_P9qA8AuXg

Finished the course with a super clear and though the result is nothing to write home about he felt amazing so now I am going to hold back on eventing and work on everything that needs improving till its up to the standard I want it to be. This horse is worth making the effort for and with the ground getting harder I am pleased with my decision.

Table fence - http://www.jayphotos.co.uk/events/13052527%20BE%20HORSE%20TRIALS%20AT%20PONTISPOOL/NOVICE%20Monday/BAKKELYS%20TORNADO%20Counsell%20Lucy%20867/?pic=MON-CJ03-5773.jpg

Bold through the water - http://www.jayphotos.co.uk/events/13052527%20BE%20HORSE%20TRIALS%20AT%20PONTISPOOL/NOVICE%20Monday/BAKKELYS%20TORNADO%20Counsell%20Lucy%20867/?pic=MON-DW03-5874.jpg

Straightness work paid off! http://www.jayphotos.co.uk/events/13052527%20BE%20HORSE%20TRIALS%20AT%20PONTISPOOL/NOVICE%20Monday/BAKKELYS%20TORNADO%20Counsell%20Lucy%20867/?pic=MON-DW03-5879.jpg

Last edited:

LEC

www.youtube.com
Going to RC areas at the end of June and then I might come back to it all in September. Nothing has really inspired me through July and August as I decided to give Barbury a miss. Mind you a healthy dose of rain might change my mind ;)

digger2

Visit site
well done for both your step up to novice and posting - pics look great.

You're prep for sj sounds like mine for xc!! once Im on and have jumped something Im fine-ish.

time to trust your horse if you're jumping newc you're fine for sj and jumping clear xc - well done you.

New to the S W and walked the novice course looked meaty enough to me.

where next

Lolo

Visit site
He's handsome- did you do a report not long ago for his first 1m ODE!? He looks keen XC!

Al really struggles with going with Reg, especially XC. She thinks it's because he's not really into her hand and so she has to do it all to get forwards, rather than following him naturally. I've explained that badly, sorry! Is that the same for you? Do you find the fluffy noseband makes a big difference?

Good luck at areas :) Wish they'd not scrapped the proper 1.10m, as now it's just wrong- big XC, tricky dressage and smaller SJ is needed :D

(sorry if this is making it about someone else. I read it back and realised it is, but wanted to ask the questions...)

LEC

www.youtube.com
That is the massive issue I have with him jumping. He is never really truly in the hand. Hence I have stripped back everything and gone for the most simplest tack I can deal with him in. He is an odd horse to ride and lots of power but he does not pull or really take the bit forwards so I am never really happy with the photos. The exercise I have put on E-Venting has been revelatory for him in improving the shape he makes over a fence and I have trialled a Miklem but I was told how rude he was by Nick Gauntlett so not sure it made a huge difference.
Riding him forwards helps but not in related distances. In some ways its lovely to have a horse that does not pull but I actually think its trickier to ride as you literally have nothing in the hand and they just stuff their heads up at any opportunity. Dressage we have the contact pretty secure but its very fragile so I should not really expect any different for the jumping?
A year ago he had not even done a BE100! He is a pretty cool horse.

Lolo

Visit site
That is the massive issue I have with him jumping. He is never really truly in the hand. Hence I have stripped back everything and gone for the most simplest tack I can deal with him in. He is an odd horse to ride and lots of power but he does not pull or really take the bit forwards so I am never really happy with the photos. The exercise I have put on E-Venting has been revelatory for him in improving the shape he makes over a fence and I have trialled a Miklem but I was told how rude he was by Nick Gauntlett so not sure it made a huge difference.
Riding him forwards helps but not in related distances. In some ways its lovely to have a horse that does not pull but I actually think its trickier to ride as you literally have nothing in the hand and they just stuff their heads up at any opportunity. Dressage we have the contact pretty secure but its very fragile so I should not really expect any different for the jumping?
A year ago he had not even done a BE100! He is a pretty cool horse.

I'm off to stalk e-venting for the exercise!

This is it, exactly. Oddly, Reg is pretty secure in the contact for both dressage and XC. But SJ is just a huge challenge not helped by a terminal lack of confidence from them both. Really, they're ready for Novice now but the SJ is just holding them back- Al wants to crack it, but is left asking what that really means for Reg. Reg is utterly wild sans flash, just does whatever he likes, so a Micklem is off the cards!

TableDancer

Visit site
I thought your result was very pleasing. I haven't watched the vids, but I will ;) My overall comment wouldmonlymbe that I think you need to be very strict with yourself in your goal-setting and ensure they are realistic in the short term - you seem to constantly disappoint yourself while turning in performances amd a level of development with which many people - intelligent, rational ones - would be perfectly happy. I guess I am saying the danger is that you take a break, work hard and then aren't quite as perfect as you want to be come September? There might be some sense in just plugging away, but enjoying the journey more and not getting so bent out of shape about sub-optimal scores and performances? The fact is that you are doing great on a completely green horse who you have produced yourself, who wasn't hand picked for his eventing potential, as an amateur rider without a huge amount of miles at Novice level, so try giving yourself a pat on the pack :)

LEC

www.youtube.com
BSJA makes a huge difference to me. I have done a lot of showjumping in the last couple of weeks and I come out better and better. I even won a 1.05 class the other day :0. So much of it is about the mentality. I have found my mantra of Make it Happen really works. If I am dithering or being incompetent I repeat it to myself like a mad woman and it settles my brain and makes me ride rather than over think. I can ride, I know how to ride but sometimes my brain plays tricks on me and its the joy of being an amateur that I have to find coping strategies.

In the run up to a competition I will go out jumping twice a week for a fortnight before at least. One session is usually gridwork for the horse and to remind him of his technique and to drill him and the other is for me so usually course jumping of some sort. Going out cold at Novice is the hardest thing for me to do so I have to believe in all my homework. I would say get Al out doing BSJA as its really the only thing that will give them the tools.

kez1001

Visit site
I thought your result was very pleasing. I haven't watched the vids, but I will ;) My overall comment wouldmonlymbe that I think you need to be very strict with yourself in your goal-setting and ensure they are realistic in the short term - you seem to constantly disappoint yourself while turning in performances amd a level of development with which many people - intelligent, rational ones - would be perfectly happy. I guess I am saying the danger is that you take a break, work hard and then aren't quite as perfect as you want to be come September? There might be some sense in just plugging away, but enjoying the journey more and not getting so bent out of shape about sub-optimal scores and performances? The fact is that you are doing great on a completely green horse who you have produced yourself, who wasn't hand picked for his eventing potential, as an amateur rider without a huge amount of miles at Novice level, so try giving yourself a pat on the pack :)

Wss^^^

My standard maybe just aren't high enough but I'd love to be able to ride round a BE novice one day. However seen as I had last year off to have a baby and am somewhat out of practice I'm trying to just enjoy the process of getting pony fit again and seeing where we end up. I intend to set some small goals to help me along the way. You def deserve a pat on the back :)

LEC

www.youtube.com

Thanks TD - I am a bit financially hard up at the moment so that is one of the reasons for a break, combined with my worries about the ground as he has terrible leg conformation and I am actually enjoying just chilling and BSJA:eek: I have no aims and I am enjoying the journey. I am just a terrible over thinker! These posts bring out the worst in me.
I look back at Pontispool and I am really pleased. West Buckland, I guess I was chronically disappointed in myself and its the letting the horse down feeling through poor riding (his owner also had words with me about it as it was that bad!)

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
Great report! Sounds like there are improvements being made! I know sod all about eventing but was surprised how big "novice" show jumps were when I went to watch at weston!

I like the sound of your mantra, ill remember that one, seen a good photo the other day of a grey horse showjumping and it said "take PRIDE in how far you have come, have FAITH in how far you can go"

Can I ask how effective you think the NLP was as seriously considering it for myself showjumping too!

LEC

www.youtube.com
I wrote an article about my confidence issues -http://e-venting.co.uk/?p=1695

Will probably explain it all far better than I could in a post!

Jo Cooper is fabulous and I would totally recommend her. I was literally throwing up before the show jumping but felt completely calm on the horse thanks to it all. Unfortunately I did not think to cover the waiting about before jumping when I had the NLP!

kez1001

Visit site
I wrote an article about my confidence issues -http://e-venting.co.uk/?p=1695

Will probably explain it all far better than I could in a post!

Jo Cooper is fabulous and I would totally recommend her. I was literally throwing up before the show jumping but felt completely calm on the horse thanks to it all. Unfortunately I did not think to cover the waiting about before jumping when I had the NLP!

That's a super article :)

Nicnac

Visit site
Read that article in e-venting in March - didn't realise it was you. I am physically sick before jumping on a young horse who has a cracking jump; never used to be nervous on old horse who was ****e jumper.

Sorry it's about me :eek:

Think you've had a good result at Pontispool. Don't overthink - it's energy sapping (from one who knows -oops it's about me again :eek:;))

Have recently been told by trainer (who events at a level I can only dream of) to take pressure off and enjoy - good, sound advice.

Lovely horse too you have there.

Off to Google Jo Cooper again.....

LEC

www.youtube.com
I am worse on a horse I really like, because I want both of us to do well. If you don't really care about the horse or the outcome then its easy to be emotionally switched off? That is how I look at it anyway!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I am worse on a horse I really like, because I want both of us to do well. If you don't really care about the horse or the outcome then its easy to be emotionally switched off? That is how I look at it anyway!

I have this with my mare to the point I am selling her ( sorry, all about me :p ) as I can barely ride her because of it. I definitely think it is healthier to have a level of detachment from them!

I am not qualified to offer anything beyond lovely shiny horse so I won't but thanks for the report and I love the pic over the hay waggon. I hope you have it up on the wall :)

LEC

www.youtube.com
Sadly there are too many things about the photo that I do not truly love so have not purchased. I am really stingy about photos. I have to truly love them or they are cheap like Spidge's £4 specials.

Its hard being slightly disconnected if you invest a lot emotionally and financially. I have tried the 'I should get another horse to run alongside this one' argument with my partner but funnily enough it has not got off the ground!

Nicnac

Visit site

Interesting. Hadn't thought about it like that but you are right. If you know it's going to be a crap result then you don't worry and actually ride better; if you know the result could/should be good, you put pressure on and things fall apart (using you as I'd use 'one' not aimed at you personally).

So - is the answer to think it's going to be pants so you relax? May try this approach and surprise myself.

More NLP needed methinks!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I'll buy it for you then! I love pics and if I had one of me riding half as well as that over a fence that size I would deffo be having my own copy :p

I had two, made no difference, I was still obsessive over the mare. Could ride the gelding fine but the mare... I never managed to be sensible. I shall miss her when she is gone but I'm looking forward to riding something without wigging out again!

ETS: don't let your partner see that if you're after a second one! ;)

Last edited:

vam

Visit site
Fab report, love the pic over the log into water. To my untrained eye it looks proper meaty for a novice! :eek:

Intresting about caring about the horse making things worse, i can see that. The more i've cared about him, the more i've cared about my results and how well i can (or more to the point, cant) ride him. I also think that the more you know they have talent the more you pressure yourself not mess up, well i do. Its got to the point that on the way to a show, throwing up in the glove box of the lorry seems like a really good idea! I found your artical really good as well.
Hope things continue to be on the up for you :)

Foxford

Visit site
Really enjoyed reading your report! I think you have a similar mentality to me. I'm an uber rationalist but my expectations are normally stratospheric, if that makes sense! You look to have a very nice horse who has serious scope.
Have you done much work on his head carriage on the lunge eg chambon or other training aid? What's his free walk like?

Girlracer

Visit site
Nothing at all constructive to add, just wanted to say not to be too down on yourself.

Can't watch the videos but the photos look great, he's a lovely horse and definitely looks bold!

Well done :)

LEC

www.youtube.com
My horse has an amazing free walk. All his walk marks are really good. I am a bit anal about lunging aids as have not found one I truly like as he has such big movement so tends to pull on his mouth. If I use anything it tends to be a harbridge.

Firewell

Visit site
Ooooh well done! Good report :). Sounds like you are on track to me! Surely you can't be perfect straight away at a new level but you certainly sound competent at it. Love the 'make it happen' mantra :).

Horsemad12

Visit site
Sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Not helpful when you have an owner moaning at you (Did I read that right?) that will just add more pressure and I for one could not cope with that.

For what it is worth I think practicing BS is a good idea, I am also on an eventing break for financial reasons and plan to get out to help keep my SJ eye in (Just not looking forward to the potential hanging around).

However don't stay away too long as it is easy to get rusty on the old XC as well.

Gamebird

Visit site
For what it is worth I think practicing BS is a good idea, I am also on an eventing break for financial reasons and plan to get out to help keep my SJ eye in (Just not looking forward to the potential hanging around).

Might see you there - will be doing the self-same thing for most of the same reasons. A chance for a picnic and a gossip if nothing else ;)

ps. I'm not being rude by not congratulating LEC - have already said well done. I echo most of TD's sentiments.