Pony broncing with roller on every time, any ideas?

DGIN

Visit site
Another update....

We have progressed to a roller, I do find that she is now fine to put it on (loose with a breastplate) and then I take her for a walk and gradually tighten it up as were walking. I haven't tightened it up as tight as I would on a 'normal' horse yet but were making progress with baby steps so that's how we will carry on.

DGIN

Visit site
Well what a difference a girth sleeve can make! £4.99 from Robinsons for a lovely black furry girth sleeve, the best money I have ever spent, she is a different pony with it on. I still take my time tightening it but she doesn't even tense up with it on and is much more relaxed. If anyone is having problems with the roller I suggest trying one :) we've been doing so well we even had a go at long reining, although I didn't put the lunge lines through the roller as I didn't want them to move the roller and make her panic just yet as were doing so well...

DGIN

Visit site
So this is the pony that a few months back wouldn't tolerate a surcingle/roller, with a gentle approach we are now on board!! I still tack her up very slowly and give her chance to warm up and do her girth very slowly whilst were having a walk around in hand.

JDee

Visit site
What great progress. I have a mare that's in her mid teens now and still insists on having a sheepskin birth and a sheepskin numnah, she doesn't explode or anything now but you can feel the difference in her when she doesn't get those things. Precious Princess type!!!