Pony burgers at farmers market

tristar

Visit site
i could have misheard something on the radio a few weeks ago about animals not needed to make meat in the future? richard branson was mentioned, anyone enlarge on that?

chipbutty

Visit site
Morally i think we should be looking harder at the food groups we already consume ,without adding another animal to it. x

Agree wholeheartedly with this ^^. I'm a bit OCD about where my meat comes from these days. I find it depressing reading the origins of meat on the back of packs in the supermarket.

My brother is a meat inspector in a pig abattoir , he assures me welfare is paramount.

As for horse meat, I Just couldn't eat it. Ive grown up loving horses, and seeing them as part of the family.

honetpot

Visit site
The future is insects. They consume less water, space and food and can be ground into a high protein powder, or eaten whole.
http://www.adas.uk/News/farming-insects-in-the-uk
I think meat of any sort will become a expensive treat. I have not eaten meat for many years although I have taken my own pigs to the butchers. We have to accept that if we want milk and meat an animal has to die. Some dairy calves are shot on the farm at birth as because of TB restrictions its to expensive to run them on.

I just worry with ponies that the welfare standards are poor to make a profit, the mares look knackered, its a long gestation period, and there is no controls in place. Really there is just no need.

meleeka

Visit site
The thought of this indiscriminate breeding and then trying to make a market for it rather than dealing with the problem horrifies me. The person in the article says they'd never breed just for me, but letting the breeding get so out of hand is just as bad! I'm not sure you can call them reared ethically either. Left on a hill with no welfare is hardly ethical.

Cecile

Visit site
As usual I am making a mess of my post, so if it pops up 3 times I humbly apologise (I still believe Email's are magical)

Its called Taffety and you can buy it here
http://www.dartmoorconservationmeat.co.uk/ationmeat.co.uk

The reasoning behind their idea to sell pony meat is listed here
http://dartmoorhillpony.com/

I asked someone today if they would eat pony, they said they would be willing to try it once as long as it wasn't one of mine (No chance of anyone eating mine)

Cecile

Visit site
how can slaughtering a wild foal be humane? have you ever tried grabbing one and hanging on to it?

I believe the meat will be from 3 year old ponies, some will go for training and others for eating
3 year old ponies will have the value they are the correct age to train or go for meat (If I have read that correctly)

planete

Visit site
If you let your horses breed unwanted foals in the full knowledge you are going to process a large number for meat it does not make you an ethical breeder, just a lazy greedy b...rd in my eyes, no matter how much you try and justify it.

Kaylum

Visit site
Another excuse for bad overbreeding of equines. We have enough overbreeding and neglect we do not want pony burgers when we are already in a terrible overbreeding situation. This will just make things even worse. Be responsible and stop breeding. We see colts dumped everyday as they cant carry foals. This has to stop now.

Cecile

Visit site
I wonder how long it will take before these 3 year old ponies are rescued from the Meat Woman
This marketing ploy could make the situation much worse for these ponies with people buying them up
to save them going for human consumption

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
As usual I am making a mess of my post, so if it pops up 3 times I humbly apologise (I still believe Email's are magical)

Its called Taffety and you can buy it here
http://www.dartmoorconservationmeat.co.uk/ationmeat.co.uk

The reasoning behind their idea to sell pony meat is listed here
http://dartmoorhillpony.com/

I asked someone today if they would eat pony, they said they would be willing to try it once as long as it wasn't one of mine (No chance of anyone eating mine)

Interesting that their shopping page avoids calling the meat what it actually is. How strange if they're convinced they are doing the right thing for the right reasons.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
This popped up on a local (SW England) FB group, and boy did it get heated! The Admins removed it in the end as it got so nasty, which was a shame IMO as this is something that needs sensible debate rather than heated argument. There was one particular individual (there always is!!) who got particularly aerated over it and unfortunately started personally attacking people, including myself, which wasn't really helpful.

My feelings are that there are an awful lot more terrible things that can happen to ANY equine than a swift and hopefully humane death, i.e. neglected and left to die out on the open moor, or whatever. This is a situation that has been allowed to develop over a great many years ever since the pure Dartmoors which were valued as riding, show & driving ponies and therefore fetched a good price, were interbred with coloured sub-standard stock, which then produced a poor little runty pony that no-one wants and which has no value, in fact they cost the Dartmoor hill farmers more to keep and produce than the ridiculously low price they get for them at market, and no farmer can continually produce stock that loses them money.

Yes it may be distasteful to some, particularly so as Charlotte Faulkner who chairs a pony "rescue" society, is championing the idea of using these ponies for meat - and that fact, for some, is being seen as a clash of loyalties causing obvious disquiet, but it is nothing new, as HRH Princess Anne basically said the same thing a few years ago now!

Let's face it, the ponies in question won't know they're going to be eaten. My over-riding concern would be their welfare throughout the whole process, going from the initial rounding-up, holding, and eventual transporting to slaughter and the the despatching process itself, that this is kept at minimum stress and that all the welfare issues are upheld; but that should apply for ANY animal and not just this one situation.

The whole sorry situation is a man-made one, and unfortunately there is no single body who are taking responsibility for sorting the mess.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not sure most people (on here at least) who have issues with it are taking issue with the concept of slaughter etc.

More the other ramifications it will have for the ponies as a group.

planete

Visit site
I eat meat. I have bred my own meat. I am not a bunny hugger and I am not squeamish or sentimental about death. However I have strong feelings about the ways humans treat animals. I also have a strong emotional attachment to animals who have been highly domesticated and have shared our lives for thousands of years such as dogs and horses and have enriched my own life. They have proved loyal friends and helpers throughout history and I do not want to eat them any more than I would agree to eat a dead human. We have a shared history, we have emotional ties. Yes, dead is dead, but feelings matter too. It is true that there are worse things than being euthanised but there also far better things, like breeding responsibly and assuming responsibility for your actions. You breed too many? Do not expect me to applaud when you decide you will get more money for the surplus by turning it into human food rather than having it rendered. And I would also sue you for cruelty if you let them starve on the moor.

I am quitting the thread. I am getting too het up about this! :eek:

paddy555

Visit site
the ponies are not starving on the moor, in fact we need dozens more of them to graze it along with any other animals. The moor is so badly overgrown many places are now impassable. The foals up to 6 months old have a good life. Living on the moor is not a problem for them. They have total freedom, loads of siblings to play with, plenty to eat and lots of varied country to gallop over.

What happens then is the issue if they are going to be kept until 3 before going to meat. The ones that do badly on the common in winter are from 6 months old, yearlings etc. They need to come off their mothers or it drags the in foal mares down too much. I cannot see anyone is going to care for them until 3. This, if they are reasonably looked after is the most expensive period of their lives. At 6 months they have an extensive roundworm burden. The males need gelding. There is no problem with geldings on the common.
The youngsters 6 months to say 18months need assistance. The poor ones on the common are often youngsters. They thrive extremely well and become lovely little ponies if they are cared for at this time. However I am not sure who is going to supply the grazing and care for them. Especially who is going to worm them. That causes them a lot of problems.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
the ponies are not starving on the moor, in fact we need dozens more of them to graze it along with any other animals. The moor is so badly overgrown many places are now impassable. .

could a conservation grazing project/charity be set up to utilise those ponies if they are worth saving as a breed? Fells and Exmoors do this throughout the UK-gelding herds. Exmoor geldings do it for life, the Fell ponies I am aware of do it while they are youngsters upi until riding age and of course are kept an eye on, wormed etc.

meleeka

Visit site
My feelings are that there are an awful lot more terrible things that can happen to ANY equine than a swift and hopefully humane death, i.e. neglected and left to die out on the open moor, or whatever. This is a situation that has been allowed to develop over a great many years ever since the pure Dartmoors which were valued as riding, show & driving ponies and therefore fetched a good price, were interbred with coloured sub-standard stock, which then produced a poor little runty pony that no-one wants and which has no value, in fact they cost the Dartmoor hill farmers more to keep and produce than the ridiculously low price they get for them at market, and no farmer can continually produce stock that loses them money.

Then they ought to do the correct thing and find a way to stop breeding so many instead of burying their heads in the sand and hoping a market can be made for them!

New Forest ponies used to be similar but a great deal of work has gone into managing them. A select few stallions are turned out and I don't believe the forest has suffered as a result of less numbers of foals. The foals that are bred are now of a better quality than they were years ago.

Shady

Visit site
That's a racist statement to make.

Just curious KITT, why is this a racist comment when it's a famine culture which has learnt to eat everything due to it's enormous population, surely it's the same as saying Americans consume more natural resources for an indulged lifestyle than any other country in the world, both are facts ,not racist statements. China is repeatedly under fire from the UN for decimating many species to the point of extinction .

Cecile

Visit site

It was a quote from heated discussions on-line regarding the UK selling pony meat, I have no idea who the poster was, I have never been to China so I have no idea if they eat anything with a pulse or not
I think the quote was from Police Alert face book page but as I am not a member of any face book page I can't reply to them about China for you

Cecile

Visit site
Thank heavens they aren't ruminants finding one of mine chewing the cud and belching at me would be horrifying :)

The comments from all over so far seem to be disgusting, ugh and no way

This one made me giggle
She insists she was only returning to old practices used in days gone by, when the excess ponies would be sold for meat locally

If the meat was so good way back then why did they stop killing and eating them? We are turning into China eating anything with a pulse

I have no views on it if people wish to eat it or not, I personally wouldn't be able to chew it but then my sheep all have names and lamb has been off my menu since keeping sheep,
I would love a couple of house cows but I love roast beef and steak and as soon as the cows arrived, had names and personalities I know cow would be off my menu :)

I would make a useless farmer, as I was about to bite into a pony burger guaranteed someone would say Neigh and I would throw up lol

As far as me being a racist my only mistake in the above quite a few sentences is not putting line 4 and 5 together which were quotes which I read on-line in heated discussions all over the place about eating pony and it made me giggle, the thought of eating pony was creating a storm everywhere

Now I see how wars begin, one sentence from my post is taken out of context which in itself is quite scary

Anyway I am not a racist I have decided to be a troll and I still won't be eating pony or Taffety :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

I don't see it is, it is the truth as Korea - if it moves and living they eat it. The Chinese are known for eating many things we would think awful.

I mean it happens around the world, I bet most wont have heard of the Restaurant in the 1970's in Shepherds Bush which was done for serving curry. Not awful you think, till a picture on the page asked you what curry it was and underneath it was cat curry. The investigators found a skip of cat legs in in, they were done heavily for it.

Many countries are cruel what they do to animals and the way they slaughter, like the minky whales, dolphins, blue whales that the Japanese kill. Is it racist saying that??? no it is the truth.

Spearing whales and cutting them up within minutes of being dragged up the slipway ready for selling in Japan, Breaking up families of whales.

Norwegians too are cruel in what they do to, how can speaking the facts be considered racists, you can walk up to any stranger and ask them, name two countries known to eat any animal and I bet China Korea or Japan will be mentioned.

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site
oh flippin heck i must be a racist!

to date no one HAS EXPLAINED HOW TO SLAUGHTER A WILD FOAL HUMANELY

i could not have any respect for any breeding program which incorporates slaughter as a policy, its a cop out for incompetence, lack of foresight and knowledge carried out by people who should keep well away from equines of any kind, who have no real feeling for other living creatures.

if you can`t breed good ponies in the first place don`t breed at all !