Pony Club camp advice - old pony

Limbo1

Visit site
Back after a bit of an absence - I have been cheating on HH with candy crush!

Anyway after some advice please. My daughter is at PC camp next week, it is not residential so they come home each eve. Now the ground is so hard her poor pony has been feeling it as a bit arthritic - not terrible but she is 23 years old. She is now on a danolin a day while ground like this which is helping.

So each evening do I stable her on a nice big bed (and rubber matting) so she can rest up and eat. Or turn her out on the hard ground where she will move about and not stifffen but may not be that rested.

It is 4 days of potentailly hard work for the pony and I want her to be as comfortable as possible. FYI whilst at camp they are tied to a line/trailer so not in a box/field.

Opinions?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Turnout to move around though honestly I'd prepare daughter that the pony may not be able to attend every day if she starts struggling.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am afraid if the camp was using a field as a ridden surface I would not attend with the pony.

I am only walking or maybe 100yds of trot with mine on the field as it is baked like concrete here, and she is a fit and well 5yo.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would not be taking a 23 yr old arthritic pony which is already on Danilon to this PC camp. in fact if i were leading the camp, I would be reviewing my arrangements.

SusieT

Visit site
Depends how active child is - are we talking mainly standing in a ride and individual trot for af ew minutes then back to standing or walking around? if so that will hardly upset anything that isnt crippled.
If we are talking two hours of trot work daily I'd seriously consider if it was in best interest of pony
nb - those saying rearrange if we did that for every bit of not perfect ground we'd never do anything - I'd suggest the instructors will hopefully adjust activities accordingly

honetpot

Visit site
With the weather as it is I doubt if I would take the pony or child to camp.
We did camp for 10 plus years and it was never as hot as this but no one ever seemed to allow for the fact that its too hot to be stood or ride in a flat sun baked field for two hours in the hottest part of the day. I have very un fond memories of the presentation stood at 2pm in the afternoon with a tired tearful child and then later with an almost tearful husband trying to load a fractious pony in to a oven like horsebox to take it home.
I would find something else to do next week, no amount of money lost would make me take child or pony out in this heat. The PC should also have a Safe Guarding policy on this and if they are going ahead send it out to parents.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I am sure that you do not want to hear this but with the long term welfare of your pony being the priority I would not allow it to attend any more as the ground is far too hard and the temperatures too high. I know it will be a disappointment to your child but the pony's priority must come first.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I wouldn't take the pony either maybe plan fun activities at home for the child instead and explain to them that going would mean hurting the pony whereas this way they still get to enjoy her for the rest of the summer holidays. Perhaps do a nice evening hack one of the days and help child bath the pony etc?

Limbo1

Visit site
Thanks all.

I hear what you are saying about age/ground etc. Pony is sound at the moment and danalon a precaution beforehand (in consultation with the vet). I have decided we are going but may opt out of some activities/days. My daughter missed last year as her pony died 2 weeks before so this camp means an awful lot to her. PC have also said they will adjust activities etc.

I have two children going, my sons pony is a hardy young native who should be fine. I know it is a risk but the vet is happy so I am.

CJoe

Visit site
I wouldnt even be sending a younger one to camp on this ground unless only walking! - let alone a precious oldie.....are they using a surface or is it all on fields.....

Templebar

Visit site
I understand a lot of people are saying pull out, but i would go, you can explain the situation to the instructor and im sure its not going to be one they wont have dealt with before. Im sure activities are being adjusted to take account for this, im sure just going and mixing with friends is one of the biggest draws for her and im sure they will understand. Its just a shame they are tied when not ridden as i could foresee some more non-ridden activities.

You sound sensible and i think communication with the pc is what is best. You wont be the only one.

Also i would turnout but if you are unsure speak to your vet as they are already involved.

SEL

Visit site
We are due rain tomorrow in a lot of places which might help a bit (wishful thinking!). My physio's kids are off to PC camp next week and they've been warned sessions might be pretty slow and quiet if heat and ground conditions persist. Prob worth a chat with the organisers.

Shay

Visit site
My 26 yr old is going to camp next week. (Pony - not child!) He is sound and hunted every season until last winter when he started to come out a bit stiff the next day. We had his hocks and one stifle injected a couple of months ago. He is enjoying work. I did try to retire him - but it didn't suit. Child is a light weight 11 year old (not mine in case anyone is adding years!) with a good independent seat. She will ride only on the surfaced jumping school and the indoor school. XC has been cancelled becuase of the weather. Jumping max 50cm.

I am going to send him. But I will haunt the camp like a vengeful Valkyrie (don't tell the DC!). More seriously - I'm due in on most days with other errands anyway. If I have concerns I will pull him but I think with careful management he will be OK. Its a stay away camp stabled in permanent stables.

OP -don't underestimate the additional stress of day travel on the ponies - especially in this heat. Its equivalent to walking for the time you travel so factor that in to workloads.

On the Hoof

Visit site
Thanks all.

I hear what you are saying about age/ground etc. Pony is sound at the moment and danalon a precaution beforehand (in consultation with the vet). I have decided we are going but may opt out of some activities/days. My daughter missed last year as her pony died 2 weeks before so this camp means an awful lot to her. PC have also said they will adjust activities etc.

I have two children going, my sons pony is a hardy young native who should be fine. I know it is a risk but the vet is happy so I am.

What an awful experience for your girl last year x sounds to me like you are being sensible and with activities to be adjusted, I think if your daughter is aware that she might not be able to do everything and may have to 'choose' her activities then she should still be able to enjoy camp, the danger is always that the excitement of going and taking part can overrule ones head, but if she is well prepped beforehand so that if you have to step in and call a halt she might be ok with that and still enjoy being away with her pony. Hope it all goes well for you all.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I would go but monitor carefully. I can't imagine that you are the only person in the same situation, i.e. an older pony (not ancient) on danilon. Depending on how old the child is, of course. A younger one wouldn't be doing much work on the pony, or is she planning to do cross country, lots of trotting in circles, etc.

I have always found our local Pony Club to be very sensitive to the needs of pony and rider.