Pony Club Cock Ups!

MizElz

Visit site
Anybody ever made a real fool of themselves at Pony Club? (or any other club/event)?

when i was 10, i was the junior member in our Area Stable management team.

In the Saddlery section, i was asked 'What is a jockey'?

to which i eagerly replied, 'someone who rides horses in races'.

the look on their face told me i was way off, so i tried again... 'well, you can have a jockey door, and a jockey wheel, on a trailer...'

they looked at each other in disbelief and waved us on, and i couldnt understand why everyone else was laughing at me!

(needless to say, we were 17th of 19)

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
did they mean the balls of grease that can accumulate on a saddle or something?
crazy.gif

Ali_H

Visit site
When i was about 8 i was doing 2ft 6 clear round. about 4 jumps in pony got very fizzy and started to buck, then bolted! Straight through the rope around the ring, through somebodies dressage test and deposeted me in the middle of handy pony! so embarrasing!

MizElz

Visit site
ooooh! handy pony has just reminded me...there was another time when i was doing a handy pony class on my old Pippa - the 'perfect pony'. she obviously decided she wanted to hang me out to dry, and whilst i was pegging the clothes on the washing line, she walked straight underneath. the chinstrap of my hat got caught, and i was swept of backwards and left dangling! i soooo wish i had this on video...you've been framed would make me rich!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
On my 14hh pony in JO whizzed round had a fabulous quick clear to take the lead but before the finish line my saddle slipped completely round and I fell off 2m before the finish line. I had forgotten to do my girth up after loosening it. Taught me a lesson.

saddle

www.dragonflysaddlery.co.uk
My daughter was doing PC stable management & was asked what the correct name is for a horse which has white around it's eye, she cheerfully said, oh thats a wild eye!...... total silence...... that is what my OH calls MY horses white eye!!
I think the correct term is Pigeon eye (has any one heard of it?)

MagicMelon

Visit site
At a pony club team show jumping thing, I remember in the jump off thinking Id really go for it and do loads of tight turns. Well, pony was a bit quicker than me - he turned in mid-air as asked but then wipped round so quickly on landing that I went straight out the side door. He turned round and looked at me as if to say "oh for christs sake, all YOU had to do was sit there!". We didn't win.....
frown.gif

Worried1

Visit site
I recently took a residential trip away from my school where I teach. I also took Diva with us and at the end of the week they had a BD competition.
I thought it would be really good for them to be my 'mini grooms' and help me get Diva ready.
They did a great job and were all really involved in polishing her and helping me warm up and then taking my boots off before going in.
So they all stood patiently watching as we did our test and afterwards gave Diva big pats and polos and helped untack. Then we decided to watch a few more people before going to check the scores. I got the impression that it was no where near as exciting as the affiliated jumping they had helped to stweard the day before but showing willing they all feigned interest and were really supportive.
However despite their best intentions they clearly didn't get the concept of dressage at all becuase when we looked at the scores, I had one my section and won overall.
"But Miss," said one bemused child. " We watched loads of other people and I saw loads that were much faster than you and Diva!"
I didn't have the hear or inclination after a very hard week to explain!
wink.gif

FlipFlop5

Visit site
In my first ever dressage test (at p.c. camp) my pony decided to nap out the arena, found some really nice grass and i couldn't get his head up. I was about 6 at the time and I still get stick for it 10years on .
tongue.gif

rara007

Visit site
I used to ride under the rope on the edge of the ring on my shetty! And at no less than HOYS one rolled in the ring! When i was 7 and I was doing the open, we got loads of ahhh's I was well embarrased. And i jumped a jump backwards in a 12.2 grand prix, not sure I had much contol on that 11.2 pony! I fell of at the first on a XC! I bent my arm vaulting on, and going straight over. I couldn;t get back on for ages a PPC, and the commentator kept pointing it out. Pip squeals alot when being drive, thats quite bad! I also did a PC quiz when i was very young, about 8 I think and baisicaly knew nothing!

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
Unfortunately most of my Pony Club stories are unrepeatable on a forum but here is a story-derived bit of advice.

If you're doing a fancy dress drill ride competition and you decide to dress as a Christmas tree, it is useful to know that the horses that cross you at X during the canter across the long diagnonals figure are not freaked out by Christmas trees. Similarly it is useful if your horse isn't freaked out by dustbin lids if the person you are supposed to pass is wearing a low-budget home made ninja turtle outfit.

Enfys

Visit site
You mean like the utterly humiliating, curl up and die of shame, moment at PC SJ Championships when my horse refused to even go into the arena because there were tigers in the flower arrangements at the arena gates ?

My only consolation (which didn't help at all) was that my Trainer couldn't ride or lead him through either.