Pony club for over 16s?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have two good horses, but am having an operation this summer, so can't ride properly or compete. A local girl had grown out of her pony, so is riding my two to get her used to horses more (she is doing her BHS stages). I've offered to take her to PC with my son. She would probably have a great time on them, as they are good horses, but do you think that at 17 she will get enough out of it? Its a lot of money to join if not. I think that there are quite a few riders that age in the club, and they have a senior camp etc.

Do many of you still do/enjoy/get much out of PC at 17 up? I offered as I don't want the horses going off on their own initially.

sea_view

Visit site
If it is a branch that have riders at her standard and do the progressive tests then yes she will get lots out of it - again, a good instructor should make sure she does. Our branch has several girls older than 17. You can join PC up to the age of 21 and provided you do you can stay a member until you are 25. The girls that are at that age are working towards their B tests and looking forward to moving up to the next level which is recognised as the equivalent to BHS stages.

Lucinda_x

Visit site
Im 16 and in pony club still but i am a bit dissapointed with the standered of teaching in my pony club but i guess it just depends on what your local PC is like :) Maybe ask one of the older members in it?

SO1

Visit site
I think it depends on which pony club you join, some cater predominately for the younger teens and others have a more varied membership. Many years ago when I was in pony club part of the fun was the social element rather than the instruction.

I started loosing interest when I was about 16 and me and my best friend could not be in the same group at rallies and camp due to her moving on and having a young horse and me having a more experienced pony.

You could also look at a local RC which accepts Juniors as an alternative, ours has quite a few active Juniors.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Echo others it depends what PC.
I stopped going to camp when I was 16 but that was because I wanted to teach instead of ride there. I was thinking of going this year (I'm 17) but decided against it due to competitions surrounding it.

I know of some local PCs where people are still going to camp up until 21 and still enjoying but I know of some where you won't find anyone over 15 at camp.

Do some research and find out which ones cater for older teens. :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks all.

I think that she will be doing local RC as well, but its only shows and teams really - whereas at pc she would get lots of lessons and clinics over the summer, which should only help towards the BHS exams...

DuckToller

Visit site
You need to do some subtle research - some branches have lots of older ones, really look after them, make sure they have good instructors and encourage them to take their B test, enter teams and train.

Others lose their older ones sometimes just because they don't have many to start with, a few give up and others then don't want to carry on, but also because some branches don't make the effort to keep them. It can also be hard joining at that age if the others have been members for years and don't make an effort to be friendly. However sometimes a new face is just what the older ones need - they are generally a nicer age group than the tricky early teens!

My friend's daughter swapped branches at 17 and found the new branch much friendlier, she has been in loads of teams, competed at Blenheim, and feels its the best thing she did.

Ask around - you might have two or three branches near you and you can then pick the best for your 17yr old. If there is only one and it doesn't appear to do much, go for a riding club.

superpony

Visit site
I'm 21 and am a member of PC. I get alot out of it, especially as I have a green tb. They are very friendly and find them more welcoming than many RC's around me! There are quite a few older members and they also have a camp for older members and parents which I will be going to this year. :)

I think its worth it but as others have said it depends on the PC.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Its a middle of the road PC, my son goes to it (he's 13). They have mainly 10-15yr old members, with a few older ones. I've taught at it myself in the past. They used to have lots of older members, but as you know, it changes year to year as some go off to uni etc. They have a senior camp and a regular camp. The girl's instructor from college teaches there, and has told her it would be good for her. The local RC is ok, but you're pretty much on your own. The thing about PC is we would be going to rallies with my son, and could put one of my horse's on the trailer too. The girl is keen to go off to shows and things, but I want her to go places where we are initially - my event mare can be funny travelling, and a livewire jumping, and my other horse is calm and good, but quite green. There are a lot of classes at the shows that she could do well at with either horse.

Event rider

Visit site
After 6 years of trying to get my pc more focused on the seniors Ive given up. Ive been a member since I was 6 and am now 21, and havent rejoined this year. PC failed to support me and I had to do everything myself, entering Open area comps and seeking training from other clubs for my tests. I had a horse when I was 13yrs old as I wanted to BE,and got told that if Im on a horse, WHY AM I IN PONY CLUB?!?
It depends on the club,go and ask around first. Fair play to other clubs (1hr travel from me ) have a lot of senior members,are great fun and supported me alot,so much so that I got my B test quite young and started getting asked to teach. I was allowed to join in with training days, jump with older kids as they matched ability and go to their camps. Find a good one,and your onto a winner!x

Lolo

Visit site
Yes! Sister is part of a group of girls/ boys who are aged between 16 and 18 who attend our PC branch. They go to rallies, do teams and comps, and go to camp. Have a brilliant time together- I think they enjoy getting to do all the 'normal' teenage things like partying and stuff only knowing that they all understand that if there's a comp the next day no one will go!