Pony Club Pony Showing Class

tubby1

Visit site
. We are just back from a local showing show where there was a pony club pony class. I would like to know what type of pony would win this, I presumed it would be an kind of safe , steady all rounder that didn't really fit in to the traditional showing classes. The winner of this class today was a very pretty fine showy type pony and second was given to a pony that was very nice but tanked off with the rider for 6 laps of the arena. Further down the class were the steady eddies that did nice shows and displayed good manners but weren't so flashy . Just interes to know what the judge was looking for.

Jericho

Visit site
I guess it depends on the judge. My daughter on her 14hh pony won this class - did nice steady show, was nicely and appropriately turned out and clean and judge said they won as they were the best match and could do safely take part in all PC activities.

SpringArising

Visit site
What type of class was it? There are lots of classes within PC shows.

If it was a showing class (although it depends on which exactly), then the judge would have been looking for good ridden manners, correct conformation and the appropriate tack and rider turnout.

If it was a Pony Club Pony class, then it's based on the suitability of the horse/pony for general RC and PC activities.

TGM

Visit site
Really a Pony Club Pony class should be judged primarily on manners and suitability for all pony club activities. So ideally you want a pony that is calm and obedient in a group situation, can do a nice dressage test and will pop a few jumps in a fairly safe manner. It shouldn't matter that the winner was a pretty, fine show pony type IF it fulfilled the rest of the criteria. However, the second placed pony does sound a bit strange - at what point in the proceedings did it tank off for six laps?

tubby1

Visit site
It was during its show when asked to canter, the wee pretty one was very nice and well behaved.

Cowpony

Visit site
We did a PC pony/Riding Club horse class at a show recently. I had no idea what the judge would be looking for but knew it wouldn't be about looks. We were of course turned out for showing, so clean and tidy. I was stunned to be called in first, and I think it was because my mare was very forward but under control, and I had her in a nice outline so the judge could see her dressage potential. I overheard her telling somebody down the line that her horse wasn't forward enough. But next time, with another judge.....who knows?

wills_91

Visit site
Pony club pony to me would be pony turned out correctly for its type, neatly presented rider. Doing a walk, trot, canter show in control and pony being obedient, popping a small jump and behaving well in within the group be it a show type pony or hairy wee cob that's what I look for.

Shay

Visit site
Its one of those "Who the heck knows...?" classes. It is supposed to be a pony of a nice stamp suitable for all PC activities. But exactly what that might be depends absolutely and entirely on the judge on the day. Over far too many PC years I've seen a lot of odd results - including the class my daughter won a few years back with her welsh sec A who looked like a mother's dream (Grey, long mane / tail, huge eyes etc) but it was 50/50 if she would win or get thrown out for being dangerously out of control. He was a total honey - but an ex scurry pony with no brakes! Good at mounted games though....