Pony Club rules these days - what do I need to know?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I was last in Pony Club about 16 years ago and things have clearly changed a bit since then. I have just joined my 4yo son. Apart from the new hat and BP rules, are there any others I need to know about these days? Is bling still a no-no and everything has to be plain tack and totally plain saddlecloths for rallies? Are long-sleeves a thing? The PC offers polo shirts but I seem to remember there was something about PC's not liking riding in short sleeves...?

Im sure I could read the rule book but just wanted to know if there was any big no-no's. I compete myself in BE, BS and RC so assume its the same sort of rules just a bit stricter?!

Fiona

Visit site
Our branch has a tab on its website which explains the turnout they ask for... Tagged hat, safe boots, long sleeves, white or dark colour numnah, no hoods etc.

I have to say though that they aren't too strict on the little ones. A few pink numnah and bright hat silks sneak in lol..... It's more about safety for them, and that's as it should be. Size of stirrups etc, peacock irons.

Fiona

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ok, thats good theyre not too strict. I remember it being very strict when I was in it! Spotless ponies, tack and child. Not good when mine is a 4yo boy (try keeping THAT clean in a pair of beige jods!) and Ill be doing all the work on the pony and tack :( Cant wait til hes old enough to do it himself ;)

Doormouse

Visit site
I run the 'Mini' section of our pony club and the rules are not very strict, we do ask for safety as in up to standard hats and body protectors and safe boots but silks are sometimes a bit bright and if very cold or hot or wet we are sensible about not insisting on pony club clothing. I think the pony club is very keen to encourage the younger members and realise that at that age it needs to be fun.

Shay

Visit site
How strict the rules are will depend on the PC branch. Some are tighter than others. I would hope for minis things would be more relaxed.

Hairnets (possibly not for a boy!) and gloves are important. If you are jumping you should be in long sleeves for safety - but again not applicable to a 4 year old. Safe, tagged hat and BP of course. Stirrup irons that fit. But if he really wants a pink numnah and hat silk he'll probably get away with it. Johdpur clips if you use short boots without chaps though.

Bling is even permitted at competition now - although discouraged!

TGM

Visit site
Agree that the tolerance of bright colours and bling will vary from branch to branch depending on the views (and dare I say age!) of the DC! If your proposed branch has a good website or Facebook page then worth browsing that for an idea of what is allowed. If you intend doing some little PC competitions then be aware that daisy reins are allowed, but grass reins (which are basically side reins) are not. But again some branches are more lenient than others.

This page from an individual branch will give you an idea, although it has not been updated to 2017 rules yet: http://branches.pcuk.org/eridge/dress-tack-rules/

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
Good point TGM.... My LO rides his pony in loose grass reins, and it's never been commented on within the branch....

He did lose out on the turnout prize at camp because he didn't have a hairnet or a scrunchie though haha..

Fiona