Pony collapsed - dilemma

Troylimbo1

Visit site
Bit of history:
I have a little Section A on loan as a companion and for my daughter to ride.
When he came to me (a year ago) he was a very overweight and depressed uncared for field ornament and on iron as well as many other supplements.
He settled well with us and is now off all his 'much needed' supplements after seeking advice and is now just on pink powder for his occasionally upset tummy.
In the awful winter he had he got a bit run down coughing etc. After informing his owner she told me he had had bronchitis and pneumonia,oh and has a heart murmer, so this was not unusual.(wasn't told this at the beginning) Her advice was to keep him well rugged and all would come right. So after realising all his rugs that he came with were not waterproof I spent a small fortune in kitting him out.
Fast forward to 2 months ago. We had to move from the field the horses were living in to a nearby yard where the owner is based.
She doesn't have much to do with us but texted me one day saying she had been round to look at the pony and his chest was heaving when he was breathing. Called the vet who diagnosed COPD. He was already being bedded down on paper with soaked hay anyway so nothing else advised just keep an eye.
Well, Monday I was at the yard and had just got the boys in (in during the day now) when said pony went down like a sack of spuds and was making the most awful noise and could hardly breath.
Luckily the vet was at the yard for another horse so I grabbed him. We managed to get him up and his resp rate was 24, nostrils flared, sides heaving. Vet gave ventapulmin IV and a 2 week oral course too. If this doesn't work then he will have to start steroids and possibly inhalers too.
So again I phone the owner to ask if he has a history of this as I want to claim on his insurance (my policy as at £60 per tub for two weeks is very expensive to fund myself) to which she informs me YES!
You can probably understand that I am a little p'd off by now. I took on this pony at her request as she didn't have the time for him and he was wasted etc and it looks like I have landed myself with a money sapping ticking time bomb.
Don't get me wrong, we love him to bits but i'm feeling pretty put out that none of this was mentioned at the start before we had chance to get attached to him.
I am now in a situation whereby I cannot afford to lay out this amount of money on a regular basis but feel I cannot give up on him as it is a fate worse than death to go back to his owner. (long story surrounding her current horse).

Advice and fairy tale wishes please :)

Cedars

Visit site
I would be suggesting ringing someone for legal action regarding her not giving you full medical history...

Otherwise I'm really not sure what to suggest. Sorry =[. Good luck! xxx

Flicker

Visit site
As the owner, should she not be stumping up for expensive veterinary treatment, especially since she knew about the pony's breathing issues?
Am I correct that, assuming vet fees were not an issue for you, you would be happy to keep said pony on loan?

Do you have a loan agreement?

Sorry, many questions, no real answers...

_HP_

Visit site
Could this pony live out?...I would have thought this would be better for his COPD.

Troylimbo1

Visit site
As the owner, should she not be stumping up for expensive veterinary treatment, especially since she knew about the pony's breathing issues?
Am I correct that, assuming vet fees were not an issue for you, you would be happy to keep said pony on loan?

Do you have a loan agreement?

Sorry, many questions, no real answers...

The only 'suggestion' she has made that is if I need to make a decision in an emergency she would always back me up.
Not particularly helpful!
She would not be willing to pay for anything for him as although having recently (before latest episode) offered to buy him and her declining she cannot afford to have him back. This basically means she wouldn't be able to afford the medication and he would probably end his days in distress. Her comitment to her own horse is horrendous which is where my dilemma comes in. Do I bite the bullet and end up spending out a fortune on a pony that is not mine, when any spare money should be spent on my youngster having lessons etc.

I would have no hesitation in keeping him if the vet fees were not an issue.
We do have a BHS loan agreement but unfortuantely it states I am liable for vet fees and insurance. Although my insurance will now not be valid as it is an outstanding condition!

Troylimbo1

Visit site
Could this pony live out?...I would have thought this would be better for his COPD.

He was previously but where we are now we are not allowed 24/7 turnout. Althought the vet seems to think the pollen has a huge part to play in this as its been awful this week.

_HP_

Visit site
He was previously but where we are now we are not allowed 24/7 turnout. Althought the vet seems to think the pollen has a huge part to play in this as its been awful this week.

How about a nosenet in that case:)

Mike007

Visit site
When you took out your insurance policy,I would argue,You filled out the information with due diligence and to the best of your knowlege. You are entitled to claim .Its rather like buying a horse ,insuring it and finding out later that the seller did not disclose somthing and which you had no reason to be aware of. I would claim for the treatment,and argue it out. You insured against an unforseen liability,which you now have.This is what you paid your premium for.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He is already in a grazing muzzle when he is out

That will be part of the problem - if not all of it. If this horse has a history of chest problems he should not be in a grazing muzzle, and should be out 24/7. I would also ask the owner for a contribution to the veterinary costs - and have a real good look at his management.

If you can't accomodate him both in times of what care he needs or the times he needs spent on it - give it back.

DuckToller

Visit site
How old is he? I would be more willing to spend time and some money if he was a reasonable age, but if he is getting on a bit, then I would be less inclined to. Does your daughter ride him very often?

Agree with taking the grazing muzzle off - he needs maximum air flow to help him breath. Can you speak with yard about fencing off a small part of a field for him to live out?

OWLIE185

Visit site
As regards managing this pony.
Feed any soaked hay loose and on the ground.
Keep the stable dust free by sweeping off dust and cobwebs from the sides of the stable walls, rafters and the inside of the roof at least once a week.

You also make a good point that any loan agreaments should contain all the horses previously known medical conditions. This is why it is always advisable to have a horse vetted before loaning so that both parties know exactly what condition it is in at that point in time.

Dolcé

Visit site
When you took out your insurance policy,I would argue,You filled out the information with due diligence and to the best of your knowlege. You are entitled to claim .Its rather like buying a horse ,insuring it and finding out later that the seller did not disclose somthing and which you had no reason to be aware of. I would claim for the treatment,and argue it out. You insured against an unforseen liability,which you now have.This is what you paid your premium for.

Agree with this, had you bought the horse at auction a year ago and insured it, then this happened, you would claim for it and have no idea whether or not it was an existing condition. Just make the claim and say nothing - how will they know - then argue if it comes up!

Angelbones

Visit site
Agree with this, had you bought the horse at auction a year ago and insured it, then this happened, you would claim for it and have no idea whether or not it was an existing condition. Just make the claim and say nothing - how will they know - then argue if it comes up!

i agree with this - if you weren't told of his history then you didn't know when you insured him and in fact you didn't know until after he had suffered the attack. Claim, deny all pre existing knowledge if asked (that's the truth anyway!) and do what you can for the pony. I"m currently claiming for my horse's gastric ulcers - i have asked the previous owners and they said they had no knowledge of it. They could be lying of course, but who would know if he'd had them before? The same with lameness, rashes etc; until its happened on your watch then you have no previous history to negate a claim (I sit and wait to be shot down for this).

Good luck with it.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Ventapulbem is very expensive, I put my mare after her first lot on respirator and that is roughly £35 per month for large horse and it does work, seems like my mare he got allergies, but from what you say seems like you are doing the right things for him. But owner sounds like a right Bitch.

Marchell

www.welshsporthorses.com
I would also have a long chat with your vet before putting an overweight Sec A on steroids as they may trigger a laminitus episode.

How old is the pony? Sorry to say but it sounds as if the owner has been far less than honest with you.