Pony dropping to knees

teddypops

Visit site
Vet was supposed to be coming yesterday but they have rescheduled for Monday, so has anyone experienced a pony just dropping to knees while being ridden? I have had 12yo Connie for 6 months with no issue, then 2 days in a row out hacking, in walk she just dropped to her knees. She didn’t stumble or trip and it was very smooth. She got up by herself and was fine. Just interested to see if anyone has experienced similar.

Shady

Visit site
Not me but my SIL's horse did this and on investigation arthritis in both knees was discovered. She was hacking him and he just went down. She thought it was a one off mystery as he seemed fine but then he did it again the next time. Xrays confirmed arthritis so she retired him . I believe she tried treatment before calling it a day but I don't know how extensive that was. He was and is absolutely fine as long as he isn't ridden. Not saying that's what's wrong with yours Teddypops but it does sound similar

teddypops

Visit site
Not me but my SIL's horse did this and on investigation arthritis in both knees was discovered. She was hacking him and he just went down. She thought it was a one off mystery as he seemed fine but then he did it again the next time. Xrays confirmed arthritis so she retired him . I believe she tried treatment before calling it a day but I don't know how extensive that was. He was and is absolutely fine as long as he isn't ridden. Not saying that's what's wrong with yours Teddypops but it does sound similar
Oh no! I hope not!

Shady

Visit site
Oh no! I hope not!
Me too. I should have mentioned that her horse was an ex police horse and as such had done a lot of standing around on hard surfaces with men on him. I imagine his knees were not 100% when she got him. I'm sure I have seen posts on here with people experiencing the same problem as you. Might be worth having a search. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. x

teddypops

Visit site
Me too. I should have mentioned that her horse was an ex police horse and as such had done a lot of standing around on hard surfaces with men on him. I imagine his knees were not 100% when she got him. I'm sure I have seen posts on here with people experiencing the same problem as you. Might be worth having a search. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. x
Thanks, will have a search!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a horse who was very sensitive around the vagus nerve, she would drop to her knees while being groomed or tacked up, although not while being ridden. Have you got a new girth?

teddypops

Visit site
I had a horse who was very sensitive around the vagus nerve, she would drop to her knees while being groomed or tacked up, although not while being ridden. Have you got a new girth?
No I haven’t but she has put on a little weight, so maybe it’s fitting differently or something.

teddypops

Visit site
T
I have seen a pony do this and the cause was a saddle which was too tight on the wither.
Thats interesting. The vet didn’t think anything listed here could be a possible cause and she is now booked in for. 24hr ecg to see if there is something wrong with her heart!

Annagain

Visit site
Narcolepsy can present like that
Doesn't that normally occur when they're at rest though, not being active?

I stress normally as a friend's horse could completely keel over mid gallop (in the field, he was retired the second they saw it happen). Diagnosed with narcolepsy although they suspected something neurological, sadly it deteriorated and he was PTS about 6 months later. That was far more dramatic than this though so I wouldn't panic OP.