Pony for a child.

Rosepup

Visit site
Hi everyone,
What is everyone's opinion on buying a pony for a child who is 6? Do you think it's better to wait and make a child "earn" the pony or do you think having their own increases their interest? Would many think 6 is too young?
I am filled with dread of the thought of investing in a pony for my child and it being too available for them and them losing interest altogether!
What are other peoples experiences?
Many thanks :)

Rosepup

Visit site
Been on horses since she was 2, around them all the time! Rides mine weekly, but mine is obviously too big for her..

Adopter

Visit site
She seems to be keen from your description, children do enjoy taking part in the same hobbies as parents, the more likely time to lose interest is as a teenager.

Can you borrow a pony and see how it works out rather than buying, there are often rescue ponies for young children from the rehoming charities, they know the ponies and their capabilities well and when they are outgrown they move on to another approved loaner.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
William has been around them since birth, he was riding in-utero until 32wks and then at 8 days old! LOL

I waited until he was 4 as he was bugging me by wanting to ride my pony all the time. We got a pony on loan for him at first which he loved. He wanted to show like mummy does and used to cry when I was in the ring as he wanted to be in with me. I don't regret the decision. People get them earlier but I wanted to make sure he was really keen before taking the plunge. He poo picks, helps me with the forest stock and is always wanting to get involved with hay making etc.

There is nothing quite like going out for a hack together either.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We got my stepson's first one at eight. We needed a companion for my horse so it served two roles. He was hot and cold about her. If he was cooling off I used to say that ponies need riding or they have to go to people that want to ride them, it was always clear that the pony would go if he didn't ride regularly. As I said, we needed the pony anyway. I do see a lot of horsey friends that seemed to want their kids to ride and have a pony more than the child did. They all ended up with an un ridden, wasted pony. He is now sixteen and still rides. He shares his dad's horse nowadays. He enjoys it but it is not a passion for him like it is for some (especially female) children.

PorkChop

Visit site
Mine had ponies as soon as they could sit up - they have had periods of being very keen and not bothered!

However it is a great skill to have, and it teaches them so much about responsibility and empathy.

rowan666

Visit site
I bought my sons first pony when he was 9 as he was riding my anglo and friends ponies, he soon lost interest because he didnt want to do any other jobs bar ride and now i wish ide made him work for it and could have saved myself a fortune. I was made to really work for my first pony and as a result really appreciate it. Could you maybe get one on loan and then you can always send it back if she dosnt want to work for it? I dont think 6 is too young if theyre super keen :)

Last edited:

debsflo

Visit site
My daughter got her first pony at 5 but realistically i did a lot at the time.however i enjoyed it... she has had horses all her life ,now 20 and we have had a wonderful horsey time. you never really know how its going to go but as they get older should learn the responsibilities of horse keeping not just the riding.

Cazzah

Visit site
I bought my son his pony when he was two (used the old 'I need a companion for my horse' line). He rode once or twice a week and went to the odd show in the first year or so. Up to that point he'd always been around my horse and was keen to be involved.

We moved house nearly a year ago and had a big debate about keeping the pony as she then had to go into livery - and not be a freeloader in my field! We decided to keep her and I am so glad we did. He's 4 1/2 now, rides 4/5 times a week, mucks out, poo picks and genuinely enjoys being down the yard and going to shows. I think its great - teaches them about responsibility and respect. He is also aware that if he decides he doesn't want to ride anymore then that is fine but the pony will go to someone who does.

OP, ultimately only you can make the decision but I think that 6 is a good age - and the idea of loaning or rehoming is a great one too :)

Rosepup

Visit site
Wow thank you for all your replies! I guess I just feel I had to work hard to get my 1st pony and am worried about handing one to her too soon as I don't want it to spoil her! But I would absolutely love if she stayed interested as she seems to have such a gift with animals I'd hate for it to go to waste! I am supposed to be going to look at a little 11h pony on Friday. Will let u know how I get on. :)

Miller1979

Visit site
Great post Rosepup! I'm watching with interest as my 7 yr old daughter is very keen to get a pony and I've been holding off. The main reason being I have my horse at a livery yard. How many of you have your children's ponies at home? I feel they would do much better at home than in a livery yard. I am on the lookout for a house on some land so think I will wait until then. she is taking weekly lessons and has access to 2 or 3 friend's ponies so it's ideal for us at the moment.

Good look with the viewing, I'll be waiting to see how you get on!

Chichi

Visit site
I am considering getting a pony for my 8yo daughter and while doing some research I came across this post. My daughter seems quite keen but I am not sure whether this is because some of her friends ride and have ponies at home or because she has a genuine interest. My horse is kept at a livery yard and when I take my daughter she has to help a bit before she can ride and she usually readily helps. Whether she would be happy to do that many times a week for her own pony remains a mystery to me. We did share a pony once a week a couple of months ago for a little while and my daughter was always up and ready to go first on her share day but then again it was only once a week.

I have been thinking of trying and finding a pony to loan for the first year and see how committed she is. Do you reckon that is the way to go or would you go and buy immediately? I know the pony could always go if the child loses interest or it does not work out but that would be really disappointing.

There is no space at my yard to keep the pony and we have no space at home so pony and horse will have to be in 2 different places until I find somewhere that suits them both. I agree with you MIller1979 and I think it makes things a bit easier if you can keep the pony at home and most people I know who have ponies keep them at home. I also think that it is great for children to try and ride as many ponies as possible so your situation seem quite ideal. It is a shame that riding schools do not offer more opportunities for the children to attend shows. A riding school near us is now a pony club centre so I wanted to enquire there as well as this could be a good compromise until I am sure my daughter is ready for her own pony. Anybody has any experience with this?

Jericho

Visit site
We kept my horse and a companion pony at home since my daughter was 2 1/2 years and she would often sit on pony but it wasn't until she got to about 6 when she could actually do things by herself eg pick out feet, poo pick, put a headcollar on and generally be brave and sensible enough around them that her passion really kicked off - she then ad to prove her commitment by doing certain jobs regularly and she once got up every day for about a month to do morning feeds! I then got her a pony. But again she really was only into the looking after at that stage but once she got stronger and stronger riding and got cantering and jumping independently at about 8 she got a fairly decent pony to do Pony Club with and she hasn't looked back. Horse mad daughter - poor hubby utterly despairs......

Rosepup

Visit site
A small update, we have been so lucky as to have been offered a fantastic little pony on loan! So have best of both worlds, the owners are delighted to have a little rider to show him and we have a wonderful pony who knows his job very well :)

Rosepup

Visit site
not too sure if this will work but here is a pic of the 1st day they met :)

hannahandtinytim.jpg

Fun Times

Visit site
Ooh very cute, lovely outcome. As a non parent can I just say how appalled I am with how little the kids on my yard do to look after their ponies. It seems the parents do everything whilst the kids play in the garden. Please OP dont let your little girl fall into these ways!

Rosepup

Visit site
That definitely what won't be happening :) that was my original worry after all haha, but she has really been trying hard with helping and her riding so we will see how it goes. She doesn't know the details of the loan yet anyway, want to see how they get on 1st!