Pony galloping round and round field

nikanita

Visit site
Daughters pony is a Welsh x Arab. He is out 24/7 but whenever anyone goes down to the yard to see their ponies he gallops round and round his field. I am worried that he will do himself an injury. We presume he doesn't do it when no-one is there, but of course don't know for sure. His field is an absolute mess as you can imagine. What can I do to stop him doing it. He didn't do it in the summer. We lost my daughters first pony about a month ago when my grazing was split into 3 with another pony in the middle. Since we lost the little one I've split the field the other way, could this be the reason? Any ideas?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Daughters pony is a Welsh x Arab. He is out 24/7 but whenever anyone goes down to the yard to see their ponies he gallops round and round his field. I am worried that he will do himself an injury. We presume he doesn't do it when no-one is there, but of course don't know for sure. His field is an absolute mess as you can imagine. What can I do to stop him doing it. He didn't do it in the summer. We lost my daughters first pony about a month ago when my grazing was split into 3 with another pony in the middle. Since we lost the little one I've split the field the other way, could this be the reason? Any ideas?

Could he be hungry or cold? This is the main reason horses do this kind of thing. My youngster started doing this shortly before I started bringing her in during the day. She would do it when she heard me getting up and was waiting for her feed and haylage. Definitely happier now she is out in the sand turnout over night and in during the day. One night she did this again and it was the night I cut down their rations as they were dragging their haylage all over and trampling it. Put the rations back up again and peace returned. I just have to put up with the mess and waste :(

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if he is distressed, if he is now alone and the field layout has changed it could mean he doesn't get a view of others that suits him and worries that he is being left completely alone when other people start moving horses about or feeding out of his sight, could he not go in with something else, otherwise I would try moving the fence so he can see as much as possible, look at the lie of the land from his perspective and see what you can do the help him settle.

nikanita

Visit site
He's on his own as he needs more food than my mare and if they are together she will get fat and he will lose weight. He can see all the other horses and they all live out 24/7. He can see them all from where he is, but he is the only gelding now. The other three are mares. Could that be the issue?

twiggy2

Visit site
if he is galloping about he will be losing weight and damaging the grazing so is not going to put weight on, maybe put the mare with him and bring in during the day so you can give him extra food/hay and her less

oldie48

Visit site
This. If you don't have stabling, why not just give him a bucket feed morning and evening to supplement the grazing. Either remove from mare to feed or just give the mare a couple of handfuls of unmollased chaff to keep her busy.
just feed him more than the mare, its simple, as herd animals they need to interact, a few like living alone, but most need a buddy.

Dry Rot

Visit site
OP, you say he can see the other horses, but how close are they? I'd suggest he should be able to make physical contact too, even if it is only over a gate. And, yes, the change of lay out of the fields might indeed have something to do with the behaviour. Horses are not the brightest and he may think that if he runs far enough and fast enough he will find the companion he lost. (I believe horses are happy to run around inside a round pen because they think in straight lines and are convinced that if they run long enough, they'll find the gate!). There is also "stereotypical behaviour" or OCD which has been discussed here in the dog section, but I doubt that's the reason, though it might be. That is a mental condition where they repeat the same behaviour for no good reason other than an urge to do it, e.g. dogs tail chasing.

fatpiggy

Visit site
It doesn't help that he is composed of two breeds who have a tendency to lose the plot anyway. Give him back his buddy and feed him extra. Muzzle the mare if you have to.

nikanita

Visit site
It doesn't help that he is composed of two breeds who have a tendency to lose the plot anyway. Give him back his buddy and feed him extra. Muzzle the mare if you have to.

Lol.

He can see her and touch her over an electric fence. If they are together she eats any hay twice as quick as him. He does have lots more hard feed than her too. I really don't want to bring him in especially as he would be on his own. Think I might try turning field back the other way and see if that makes a difference.

mcnaughty

Visit site
He's on his own as he needs more food than my mare and if they are together she will get fat and he will lose weight. He can see all the other horses and they all live out 24/7. He can see them all from where he is, but he is the only gelding now. The other three are mares. Could that be the issue?

Horses are, as I am sure you are aware, herd animals and that means they should ideally be kept in herds for their emotional and physical well-being. Sounds to me like your poor pony is getting very stressed by being alone and yes not only could he injure himself but he will lose a lot of condition and also trash the field. Put them in together. It is winter now and any weight your mare puts on will soon be lost when the weather turns really bad so long as you are not feeding her hard feed too.

nikanita

Visit site
Horses are, as I am sure you are aware, herd animals and that means they should ideally be kept in herds for their emotional and physical well-being. Sounds to me like your poor pony is getting very stressed by being alone and yes not only could he injure himself but he will lose a lot of condition and also trash the field. Put them in together. It is winter now and any weight your mare puts on will soon be lost when the weather turns really bad so long as you are not feeding her hard feed too.

As suggested put the two in together today. Friend went down earlier and sent me a message to say the two were in together. Told her that's fine I'd done it to stop charlie running round like an idiot, had it worked? She said no, they were both now running round like idiots! Horses!