Pony grumpy with his friend

Carlosmum

Visit site
I have 2 geldings, one is companion pony. Both kept here at home in stables/pens in the corner of the farm yard. They are turned out for the best part of the day and in at night. Number 1 gelding M is a bolshy monster. We have always done ground work and he knows how to behave around me, though sometime he 'forgets'. In recent months he has become more aggressive towards his companion B , mostly when I am around. I know he is saying to his friend 'go away she is mine', it happens when I go to catch M in the field, he wont let B anywhere near us. Again when I go into M's stable to change his rug, he will fly across the box to attack B even though B is minding his own business eating his hay. It becoming a bit of an issue as M spends more time protecting me from B that it is difficult to get his attention so I can tie him up. I know he is in need of more exercise, he has had a rotten winter and with the current situation I am not riding only lunging every couple of days. I cant turn him out full time as he has EMS and grass has to be limited. Funnily enough when I am with B in his stable M takes no notice at all. Any one have any ideas how to solve this problem, I am a little worried that I might get bowled over in his haste to tell B to stay away from me.