Pony having mild freak out in trailer

Z3bby

Visit site
Ponies first time travelling in a trailer.
Went to a show at weekend with a hired trailer.
approx 30min there and 30mins back, husband drove
Within the first 5-10 minutes of the going journey, pony did 2 small rears in the trailer.
This freaked me out a little bit and I was on edge for the rest of the journey, fear of him getting stuck.
But for the rest of the time he settled down to eat, not super sweaty when unloaded and waited a while for us to unload after we'd stopped, not stressing.
At the show he went back on the trailer between classes and stood and ate for about an hour no problems. occasional paw but nothing
Loaded and travelled home absolutely fine, although he was tired.

Since he is only 3, and it was his first time trailering, am I overthinking his mild freak out since he was fine the rest of the time?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I would practice a lot with a trailer in between times, I would have been practicing before the first time of his experience of actually going to a show. He is just a baby yet, I am sure he will get used to it, sounds just like typical behaviour.
I would tie him outside the trailer to eat at the show, not inside he might be happier to do that and get used to his surroundings 😊 its all just new for him 😃

Identityincrisis

Visit site
The more you do the better he will get, I’ve been through all of this! It’s very scary but as long as you are calm and confident (I needed hypnotherapy as i was bad due to an accident) the pony will improve and learn it’s not scary. Short-ish, easy trips with no time pressures or performance pressure, i hired arenas and took him out to my local instructor’s to build our confidence up

Z3bby

Visit site
I would practice a lot with a trailer in between times, I would have been practicing before the first time of his experience of actually going to a show. He is just a baby yet, I am sure he will get used to it, sounds just like typical behaviour.
I would tie him outside the trailer to eat at the show, not inside he might be happier to do that and get used to his surroundings 😊 its all just new for him 😃

The more you do the better he will get, I’ve been through all of this! It’s very scary but as long as you are calm and confident (I needed hypnotherapy as i was bad due to an accident) the pony will improve and learn it’s not scary. Short-ish, easy trips with no time pressures or performance pressure, i hired arenas and took him out to my local instructor’s to build our confidence up

Thank you both for your input!
Plan is to hire a trailer more regularly just for training (husband needs more practice reversing too), arena hires is a great shout, there’s also a farm ride close by which I think especially pony would love!
I would have tied him outside but trailer had no external tie rings.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Thank you both for your input!
Plan is to hire a trailer more regularly just for training (husband needs more practice reversing too), arena hires is a great shout, there’s also a farm ride close by which I think especially pony would love!
I would have tied him outside but trailer had no external tie rings.
Aww thats a shame, he would probably like a little look around, what about hanging a bit of bailer twine out the front window or similar area? Or somewhere he could be tied up around the trailer 😊

You both will be absolutely fine and will be having a ball in 6 months time and be so used to getting out and about ☺️

dottylottie

Visit site
sounds like he adapted to the situation very well bless him! if you can hire a trailer to practice that would be ideal, i definitely wouldn’t be worried going forward, it sounds like he took it all in his stride after his initial “what the heck” moment.

Birker2020

Visit site
It sounds from your description that your partner may have been travelling a little bit to fast and I am guessing that when he realised that the pony was playing up, he adjusted his driving speed accordingly, therefore the rest of the journey and the journey back home wasn't too problematic for the pony once he had done that. Sorry if I sound rude when I say that, I am not meaning to be, I can imagine its easy to lose track of your speed or to cut a corner a bit too fast, especially if you have a big powerful towing vehicle like a large SUV or similar and an unladen trailer or one that is transporting a small load.

I had a lift a few months ago with Lari back to retirement, and I was very grateful as my friend took me in her trailer but she whipped out the gate a little bit too sharpish and he lost his footing momentarily. Although it wasn't anything too drastic she realised immediately what she had done and slowed her speed accordingly. He wasn't happy after that and moved around more than he should have on the journey and was very sensitive and aware of every bend and junction but arrived at retirement safely. He was a seasoned competition horse and has travelled all over the country for years to competitions so presumably has always been a good traveller but a younger horse may have been more objectionable.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would just keep putting him on the trailer feed him on it do a few short journeys make it a nice experience.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to tie him to the trailer I never do it now after seeing a horse pull back and have a really nasty accident.

The hire vehicle probably had no tie rings because they don't want people to tie there horses to the outside of it.

Z3bby

Visit site
It sounds from your description that your partner may have been travelling a little bit to fast and I am guessing that when he realised that the pony was playing up, he adjusted his driving speed accordingly, therefore the rest of the journey and the journey back home wasn't too problematic for the pony once he had done that. Sorry if I sound rude when I say that, I am not meaning to be, I can imagine its easy to lose track of your speed or to cut a corner a bit too fast, especially if you have a big powerful towing vehicle like a large SUV or similar and an unladen trailer or one that is transporting a small load.

I had a lift a few months ago with Lari back to retirement, and I was very grateful as my friend took me in her trailer but she whipped out the gate a little bit too sharpish and he lost his footing momentarily. Although it wasn't anything too drastic she realised immediately what she had done and slowed her speed accordingly. He wasn't happy after that and moved around more than he should have on the journey and was very sensitive and aware of every bend and junction but arrived at retirement safely. He was a seasoned competition horse and has travelled all over the country for years to competitions so presumably has always been a good traveller but a younger horse may have been more objectionable.

Not rude at all! It was his first time towing a horse so very possible.

I think lots of practice all around and we’ll be fine!
Thanks everyone ❤️

irishdraft

Visit site
All sounds ok for a first outing to me, I would have definitely put in practice before just going straight out but I have my own trailer. Also always safer to leave pony in the trailer eating as you did , rather than tied up outside. Most places don't want you doing this for obvious reasons and if you need to go off and do something pony is safe inside.

cowgirl16

Visit site
This reminded me of something I experienced many years ago. I was hauling my 3yr old Dales filly to her first show. She did exactly the same thing. Turns out she was spooking at the large vehicles coming up behind us. (journey took us along a busy A road for a few miles). I closed the top doors of the trailer, and she was perfect after that. So just a thought - were the top doors open?

Z3bby

Visit site
All sounds ok for a first outing to me, I would have definitely put in practice before just going straight out but I have my own trailer. Also always safer to leave pony in the trailer eating as you did , rather than tied up outside. Most places don't want you doing this for obvious reasons and if you need to go off and do something pony is safe inside.
Yeah in hindsight we should have taken him for a test drive before hand, he has loaded/unloaded on a trailer a couple of times before just never been on a moving one.

This reminded me of something I experienced many years ago. I was hauling my 3yr old Dales filly to her first show. She did exactly the same thing. Turns out she was spooking at the large vehicles coming up behind us. (journey took us along a busy A road for a few miles). I closed the top doors of the trailer, and she was perfect after that. So just a thought - were the top doors open?
They were, his freak out lasted as long as the journey to the next village, on the motorway he was fine :) journey was mostly motorway miles.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Yes would definitely be breaking down the whole trailer loading experience
Thats a very good point - Im about to commence training with our youngsters & would never have thought of that - do you always travel with the top door closed?

cowgirl16

Visit site
Yes would definitely be breaking down the whole trailer loading experience

Thats a very good point - Im about to commence training with our youngsters & would never have thought of that - do you always travel with the top door closed?
If I was hauling on motorways/A roads that were frequented by monster trucks, that's a yes!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Its not allowed now, but if you travel in the trailer you will find out what it is like for the passenger. Suggest you drive somewhere private and put OH in the back to experience it.

You have to read the road ahead and give yourself plenty of time to slow for road junctions, and sharp bends. On a bad road surface I might only be doing 30 mph and I would only go faster on a really smooth straight road.

Horses are amazingly accommodating about travelling in an enclosed box when they can't see where they are going.

Plenty of practice runs, going to fun things to start with.

Lots of places now won't let you tie up to a trailer unless the horse is under direct supervision, like tacking up or preparing for a class as there have been too many accidents with horses left while the owners wandered off. So its good to be able to just pop them in the trailer to rest between classes.

TPO

Visit site
It sounds pretty positive for a first outing.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to tie him to the trailer I never do it now after seeing a horse pull back and have a really nasty accident.

Also always safer to leave pony in the trailer eating as you did , rather than tied up outside. Most places don't want you doing this for obvious reasons and if you need to go off and do something pony is safe inside

This, you absolutely did the right thing having the horse chill (supervised) in the trailer.